PDA

View Full Version : Harnessed seat for a 4 y/o in grandma's prius?

Jacksmommy2b
01-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi all!

I was hoping to get some advice on the best seat for my 32lb almost 4y/o to ride in grandma's 2010 prius.

She wants something "snazzy" to "match" her pearl colored new car, that is not much more than $150.

I want a five point with at least a 50lb limit and obviously the safest seat possible. A combo would be nice - but not a deal breaker as Jack could always pass a convertable to Sam and go booster.

(to be honest - I am really hesitant to leave grandma with just a booster. She is from the 'I held you in the front seat' generation and I don't see her giving the proper attention to boostering.)

We have MAs in our cars - but it is a PITA to get it in her car and it is pretty big.

So the specs are : 2010 toyota prius and a shared backseat with a keyfit 30 and a 32lb - not yet 40 inch - peanut of an almost 4 year old.

I don't mind chipping in to get a better seat - but we will be buying convertables for Sam soon - so it would be great if we didn't have to.

I was looking at the Graco Natulis, the Evenflo Symphony 65, and the True fit.

Thoughts?

arivecchi
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Graco Nautilus sounds like it might be a good fit. We have a Britax Frontier which we love but it is a it more spendy than the Nautilus.

arivecchi
01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Someone got a Frontier for $170. FYI.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=349022

o_mom
01-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Nautilus comes in like 16 shades of gray (and one tan one now) - what color is 'pearl' anyway?

Frontier is about to be upgraded in about a month or so, so you may see prices dropping on the exisiting model (which is plenty adequate for most people, especially those with 32 lb 4 yo :) ).

Symphony65, Generations 65 and Maestro are all contenders as well. Or you could just shock her senses and get a CowMoo Roundabout50... I think that would look good with 'pearl'. Any of the larger Britax convertibles, TrueFit or any Radian would probably work as well as he is small enough that you aren't in any danger of outgrowing them before a good booster age.

One thing to consider when he gets up to 40 lbs is that sometimes GPs that don't take carseats seriously are better off with a booster that the child can make sure is used correctly. Clearly he isn't big enough yet, but I'm thinking a couple years from now when he can buckle himself correctly in a booster vs. Grandma not tightening the harness.

jerigirl
01-30-2010, 03:25 PM
We just (last night) brought home our new 2010 Prius in silver and put our Graco Nautilus in it today. It fits great. Easy install. What color is the interior of Grandma's car? The Nautilus does have several choices.

Joolsplus2
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Evenflo Symphony 65 in Circles? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3867702 It's actually tan, I put one in a white Lexus with tan interior and it was just delicious. Or Nautilus Elite in Gabe http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3749235

I don't know why, but a pearl car sounds like it has a tan interior, if I'm wrong, ignore me :wink2: