PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "car stroller" for 9mo twins

TwinMama
01-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi!

I am currently looking for a second stroller. I have a Bumbleride Indie Twin and I love it, but it is not the easiest fold, and so I am looking for something a bit lighter and easier to manage. Up until now I have used a snap-n-go frame but the boys are in full-size carseats now.

I have been looking at the Inglesina Twin Swift, the Babyjogger City Mini Double and now, the various Maclarens. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Which would be the best fit for doing things like grocery shopping (I typically go with someone else to push the cart but sometimes grab a few things alone), quick mall trips, and other errands - particularly ones which may involve more than one stop.

Some may say "just leave the kids at home!" but I am very adept at all the buckles, etc. so they really don't slow me down and they enjoy our little outings.

jacksmoma
01-30-2010, 08:38 PM
that's great you get out a lot! honestly the indie twin is 34lbs and the bj mini double is 26lbs so that's not a huge huge difference...you could always sling one and put the other in the grocery cart too. i don't know, i find doubles big/awkward for errands! or you could get a single and wear the other i suppose and get a mac or something super lightweight. hth!

TwinMama
01-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I will admit that sometimes when they are fussy, going on an errand is a great way to get their minds off it and give me a mental break!

I have an ergo, and use it sporadically, but unfortunately I have a bit of a bad back so lengthy use hasn't worked out and baby and I tend to get really hot! Anyone have any solution for that??

Still, the single/sling solution is one I'm now considering.

WatchingThemGrow
01-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I use my BJCMD for errands a lot. I put a Stroll'r Swivl'r and a Mommy Hook on the center bar and hang bags from there (more centered than the handlebar). I can lift the thing with one hand, and it is really handy for us. I used my BJCED with the first two DC and it was fine, but the mini is fine too. The single handlebar makes a big difference to me. I can answer a call while walking because of it.

sweetsoul99
01-30-2010, 09:48 PM
I think you hit it right on the nail with the bjcmd or the maclaren twin triumph. Either would be great. I think the bjcmd would have a few better features: easier access to basket, better hood, and a simpler fold. ) Plus one of my fav features is that they would be more divided, so less fighting if that would be a concern of your's. Maybe with twins they're better, but even trying the twin triumph in the store my older daughter was picking on her little sister.

gamma
01-31-2010, 11:44 AM
I would definitely get something that you can push one-handed. That way you can push the stroller and pull a grocery cart behind you. The newer double Maclarens don't have a center handle, so they are really really hard to steer with one hand.

BeachBum
01-31-2010, 11:55 AM
I have a love hate relationship with my BJCMD. Well, really the only thing I hate is that the seats are so slouchy. The boys really want to pull forward to look around, and it's a struggle. I love everything else about the stroller though. It is very light weight and easy to fold! It works out great for me as a car stroller. (My twin boys are 1 yr).

I agree that before long grocery shopping will be much easier. Now I either wear one and push a regular cart, or if a double cart is available (we only have the bench seat type) the boys are getting where they can do that.

When I was recently griping about the slouch, someone recommended to me the new Valco Ion.

Melaine
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
I was able to do pretty well shopping with our BJ double by using stroller hooks and hanging grocery bags on them. When I entered the store I would go and pick up a few grocery bags (or bring reusable ones), then fill them with items as I shopped. I was never able to pull another cart along behind us. Our trips had to be very fast!

I stuck with one stroller. Even though our BJ is heavy, I couldn't stand losing the convenience and maneuverability by getting any of the typical "car strollers" I tried.

arivecchi
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
I think you hit it right on the nail with the bjcmd or the maclaren twin triumph. Either would be great. I think the bjcmd would have a few better features: easier access to basket, better hood, and a simpler fold. :yeahthat: Mac Twin Triumph will fit kids longer as it has taller seatbacks.

twowhat?
01-31-2010, 10:52 PM
I have a love hate relationship with my BJCMD. Well, really the only thing I hate is that the seats are so slouchy. The boys really want to pull forward to look around, and it's a struggle. I love everything else about the stroller though. It is very light weight and easy to fold! It works out great for me as a car stroller. (My twin boys are 1 yr).

I agree that before long grocery shopping will be much easier. Now I either wear one and push a regular cart, or if a double cart is available (we only have the bench seat type) the boys are getting where they can do that.

When I was recently griping about the slouch, someone recommended to me the new Valco Ion.

I put heavyweight cardboard in the seatback pockets of my BJCMD. Helped a lot with the slouch issue. Also, a belly bar helps when they aren't old enough to have strong tummy muscles. But once their tummy muscles strengthen, it's not a problem for them to sit up and look around - my girls do it all the time and only lean back when they feel like resting. I don't connect the harness at the shoulders though - I loop it back around and connect it to the D-rings on the sides of the seat to change the 5-pt harness into a makeshift 3-pt harness that just goes around the hips, if that makes any sense. After I buckle them in, I lift them up briefly to settle their butts into the crease of the seat (since yeah, it's kinda easy for them to slouch) and they have no problem at all. It also helps to really shorten the crotch strap - it keeps them from sliding down into a slouch. I do love the stroller for its quick fold and one-handed steering. I sometimes do one in a sling/one in the cart but only for trips where I'm getting a lot of stuff. Otherwise, I put them in their stroller and there are so many baskets it's not a problem for me to go to the grocery and get 20 items. I just make sure I go through self-checkout so I can bag the items such that they are easy to get back in the baskets (or, get a hook to hang off the handlebar - I know you're not supposed to but I can put quite a bit of weight on that handlebar without it tipping).

I haven't tried any of the other strollers mentioned, but I'm really happy with the BJCMD as a car stroller. The huge canopies are GREAT to block out sun and even light rain...a nice perk where I live...land of the treeless expansive concrete parking lots with hot summer sun blazing down. And unexpected showers/rainstorms.

And honestly I hate the thought of those grimy double shopping carts. I'm so paranoid about trying to keep the kids from getting sick, not because I'm a germaphobe, but because it's just SO HARD when two babies are sick back-to-back. So I use our stroller whenever possible just to avoid having them touch things like shopping carts, especially during the cold/flu season.

BeachBum
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I put heavyweight cardboard in the seatback pockets of my BJCMD. .....I don't connect the harness at the shoulders though - I loop it back around and connect it to the D-rings on the sides of the seat to change the 5-pt harness into a makeshift 3-pt harness that just goes around the hips, if that makes any sense. After I buckle them in, I lift them up briefly to settle their butts into the crease of the seat (since yeah, it's kinda easy for them to slouch) and they have no problem at all. It also helps to really shorten the crotch strap - it keeps them from sliding down into a slouch.

Thanks.
I had put the cardboard in the seat back, but the tip about the D rings and the crotch strap did help quite a bit.

I have the belly bar, and they really like it.