PDA

View Full Version : Oookie, where the hell'd I go wrong this time?

Fairy
02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Fairy? A "my recipe went wrong again" thread? No! Yes, I suck at this. I know. So, here's the latest.

I made pancakes yesterday morning. I've made homemade pancakes from scratch before, as I won't use pancake mixes (bugs). I do a recipe with regular all purpose flour from the Kraft recipes webstie that turns out perfect every single time. But the thing was loading weird and I couldn't get a search box for "pancakes" and ended up using one that required self-raising flour. Now, I don't have any of that, and it said to make it yourself by adding 1tsp of baking powder and a pinch of salt, which I did.

These pancakes were like raw tortillas. Terrible. WTF? Possible issues:

* Not using the self-rising flour?
* I got my griddle to 350 -- should it have been hotter?
* I used oil, even tho it's a "non-stick" griddle. With this batch they never browned nicely. They cooked, and they were stiff, but they didn't brown like a pancake should Was it the oil?
* I also used butter. With this batch, they never bubbled AT ALL, and when I finally said they've *got* to be ready and flipped them,they were rubbery. Even when done, they were rubbery and doughy and disgusting. Was it the butter?

Seriously, what the hell happened here?

Twoboos
02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Y'know, I can't really help you here. But I would like to make you feel better by sharing that this is how my from-scratch pancakes come out ALL the time!!

I gave up and now use Trader Joe's buttermilk mix.

Others usually suggest that no rising means old Baking powder. It could also be overmixing. It could also mean pancakes should not be made from scratch when mix is available, LOL!!

Get yerself to TJ's and end the madness!!!

luza
02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Sounds like not enough baking powder. The recipe I use takes 2 tsp baking powder to each cup of flour:

1 C flour (I usually mix all purpose and whole wheat)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil or melted butter
1 C milk
Mix dry ingredients together; mix wet ingredients together; add wet to dry.

Fairy
02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, my baking powder is ... really old, I admit. Maybe it's time to buy new baking powder.

I'm afraid of mixes. I had some good old Bisquick years ago, and while it was relatively older, like six or seven months, it had never once been opened. I went to use it for the first time, and there were bugs crawling around INSIDE the unopened bag. I was like how'd they get in there?! I literaly threw away every single non-canned item in my pantry and cleaned it all top to bottom and replaced everything. I later learned that this is not uncommon and that it really does happen and it wasn't me. However, that did not make me feel better. And now I check every flour-like substance before I use it, from flour to baking soda, you name it. I won't use it if I can't see into it and check it for critters. And I just can't use a mix.

kristenk
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Hmmm...that's odd. I saw a sub of 1 cup flour + 1.25 tsp baking powder + 1/8 tsp salt for 1 cup of self-rising flour. Is that about the same ratio you used? Is your baking powder still good?

Here's my mom's recipe for pancakes. These are NOT healthy, but they're delicious! (We go with sweet potato pancakes or oatmeal pancakes when we're looking for something healthier.)

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Whisk flour and baking powder together. Beat egg into milk then add to flour mixture and whisk together. Stir in melted butter.

I use a non-stick skillet and there's definitely no need to add any oil/butter to the pan considering all of the butter in the recipe. The butter also gets them just a little crispy.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
It probably had to do with the flour. I think the gluten is different with the different flours.

Of course, the last batch that failed on me was because I used baking soda instead of baking powder. I hadn't noticed the problem because it was in a red canister, just like baking powder should be. I made 3 terrible baked goods in a 1 one month period before catching on to my mistake. So, if you bought your bp at Trader Joe's then check the label.

Beth

DebbieJ
02-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, my baking powder is ... really old, I admit. Maybe it's time to buy new baking powder.

I'm afraid of mixes. I had some good old Bisquick years ago, and while it was relatively older, like six or seven months, it had never once been opened. I went to use it for the first time, and there were bugs crawling around INSIDE the unopened bag. I was like how'd they get in there?! I literaly threw away every single non-canned item in my pantry and cleaned it all top to bottom and replaced everything. I later learned that this is not uncommon and that it really does happen and it wasn't me. However, that did not make me feel better. And now I check every flour-like substance before I use it, from flour to baking soda, you name it. I won't use it if I can't see into it and check it for critters. And I just can't use a mix.

This happens to regular flour too. The eggs are in there when the bag is sealed. You can kill them by freezing your flour and other dry goods for 3 days or so before storing them in your pantry.

srhs
02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
:barf:
Oh, I really wish I hadn't read this. :sulkoff:

Fairy
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Honestly, the whole thing with the eggs and the flour and mixes really skeeves me out. Maybe I should start freezing ...

Ok, well, it looks like I had a perfect storm of bad circumstances for these pancakes. My baking powder & salt ratio was almost exactly what Kristen said, I used an eighth of salt tho only 1 tsp of baking powder. But the baking powder is old, no question. And my griddle was greased either with oil or with butter. And the recipe I used had 1C flour, 1C milk, 2 tbl oil, 1 egg, and then I added the rising ingredients. I think I'll get the griddle hotter next time, too. Thanks for the recipes, I'm going to use them next time!

Fairy
02-01-2010, 02:52 PM
:barf:
Oh, I really wish I hadn't read this. :sulkoff:

I'm so sorry! I should have maybe done a warning ...

srhs
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm so sorry! I should have maybe done a warning ...
No warning necessary, but ignorance was bliss! I don't even think I can do the freezer thing...that'd be like admitting I KNOW there are bug eggs in there I'm going to eat.

Twoboos
02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I am totally ignoring this talk of bugs. There are no bugs or eggs or critters of any kind in anything I buy, nev-er, ev-er. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

kristenk
02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
To test baking powder for freshness:

Put 1 teaspoon of baking powder in half a glass of *hot* water. If it bubbles, it's good.

Off to test my baking powder...

Fairy
02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
To test baking powder for freshness:

Put 1 teaspoon of baking powder in half a glass of *hot* water. If it bubbles, it's good.

Off to test my baking powder...

K, just tested it, and it does bubble. However, I looked at the expiration date, and, um ... I don't want to tell you what it is. It's way too embarrassing. I will, however, admit to you that I can only assume that I moved it into this house from my previous dwelling. Actually, if the date is accurate, then it would be the dwelling even before that.

It's in the garbage. A new can is on the shopping list. I'm going under my desk now. :bag

kristenk
02-01-2010, 03:14 PM
K, just tested it, and it does bubble. However, I looked at the expiration date, and, um ... I don't want to tell you what it is. It's way too embarrassing. I will, however, admit to you that I can only assume that I moved it into this house from my previous dwelling. Actually, if the date is accurate, then it would be the dwelling even before that.

It's in the garbage. A new can is on the shopping list. I'm going under my desk now. :bag

Don't hide from me. DH was going through our kitchen cabinets last night looking at all of our miscellaneous flours, powders, etc. He found something with a use by date of January 2004. We thought it best to throw that out. On a positive note, he didn't see any bugs in any of the stuff.:thumbsup: Now that I think about it, they probably died a couple of years ago. :bag:

Fairy
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Oh, Kristen, 2004. If only. This one began with a 19. Back to my hole ...

ThreeofUs
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Honestly, the whole thing with the eggs and the flour and mixes really skeeves me out. Maybe I should start freezing ...

I am SO with you on this. We store all our flours, etc., in the freezer. Otherwise we'd have to move. Lots o' moths around here.

*shudder*

truly scrumptious
02-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I've read that mixing pancake batter too much makes it dense. So you're supposed to mix it until it is just wet.

Also, I find if the batter is too thin, then it spreads out more and seem thinner and less fluffy. If I reduce the wet/dry ratio a little, the pancakes are a little thicker. Of course, if they are dense then that just means you have hockey pucks instead of tortillas! ;)

Good luck with your experiments!

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I am SO with you on this. We store all our flours, etc., in the freezer. Otherwise we'd have to move. Lots o' moths around here.

*shudder*

Yep, all of our grains are in the freezer too (especially during the summer) unless they are double wrapped (baggie and storage container, for example).

Beth

arivecchi
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Oh gosh, good for for trying. We only do Aunt Jemima Wheat pancakes at our house. They are yummy.

kristenk
02-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Oh, Kristen, 2004. If only. This one began with a 19. Back to my hole ...

Oh, dear. I can't compete with that one.

I think it's safe to say that the hot water test might not be the most accurate after all. :)

caleymama
02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I've read that mixing pancake batter too much makes it dense. So you're supposed to mix it until it is just wet.

Yes - this is very important! Just mix until moistened or blended.

Just made this recipe today for the first time after hearing SIL rave and rave about it:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/edna-maes-sour-cream-pancakes/
SIL makes it with yogurt - I happened to have sour cream so I used it. SIL uses vanilla yogurt and omits the vanilla. The recipe was SO easy and the pancakes were super moist and fluffy.

ETA: Yeah, we can't keep boxed or single bagged grains in our pantry closet either. Everything has to be in a jar or double bagged. Much of it is in the fridge or freezer, though. Learned that the hard way!

mctlaw
02-01-2010, 11:22 PM

OK, to further add to your list of ickie-skeevies, I once encountered a bunch of moth-like flying creatures when opening a new box of instant oatmeal packets. I know what you mean becuase it turned me permanently to buying whole, bulk oats.

BTW, is there a smilie for being skeeved out? 'Cause I looked for it and couldn't find it!

bubbaray
02-01-2010, 11:27 PM
If you follow this recipe (I swap whole wheat flour 1:1 for the white flour in the recipe), trust me, it is foolproof. You have to shake the pan a bit when you put the batter in to cook (its quite thick), but other than that, foolproof.

bubbaray
02-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh, and I replace my baking powder and baking soda at least yearly, usually ever 6m, regardless of if it is finished or not (I don't toss the baking soda, I just use it for cleaning). I can't remember how to do it, but you can add stuff to them to see if they are still "good".

alien_host
02-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok, i'm trying to ignore the "bug talk", ick.

Here's a pancake recipe that has never failed me and my baking powder has been fairly old, not from the 1900's old ;), but at least 1-2 years.

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tbs sugar (optional, I omit most of it, I just toss in maybe a tsp)
3 eggs beaten
1/3 cup oil (I use canola)
2 cups milk

Sift together dry ingredients, mix eggs, oil and milk and stir in until just blended.

I usually cut the recipe in 1/3 or 2/3 (b/c of # of eggs) because it is quite a lot of pancake batter.

I've also used the following egg substitute and it still comes out fluffy:

1.5 TBS oil
1.5 TBS water
1 tsp baking powder

for EACH egg...

Fairy
02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Awesome recipes, thank you!