PDA

View Full Version : Photopass...has anyone done it?

alien_host
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
What's the verdict on Photopass? Worth the $$?

Does it include the pictures they snap on certain rides (like Tower of Terror)?

JTsMom
02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Last year we bought 3 of the downloads, and it ended up costing about $45. I was really annoyed b/c one had really bad fuzziness, which I couldn't see on the little sample photo on the website.

This year, we decided to pre-order the disc, and then get as many pics as possible put on it- you can get a code to purchase before the trip for $100. You can add borders and what-not as well, so that pretty much doubled the number of photos we got- I want to say we ended up with close to 300.

I'm on the fence about whether or not it was worth it. On one hand, it was really nice have all 3 of us in shots with characters, etc, and know that we'd get some decent ones. On the other hand, the photopass people will take pics with your camera too, so we probably could have just done it that way.

If we went all the time, I wouldn't do it, and I definitely wouldn't pay full price, but for $100 it was a nice souvenir. We're total photo nuts though- I think we took about 2500 pics on our camera this trip.

The only ride photo that I know can be added is Test Track's. The pics they do at character meals can not be added.

egoldber
02-02-2010, 11:15 AM
It's free to get one, so why not? We always do, but only ordered a CD once (we split it with another couple).

Tinkerbell313
02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
The only ride photo that I know can be added is Test Track's. The pics they do at character meals can not be added.

You CAN add the character meal pictures. We ate at Akershaus in Norway. I added the picture of DD with Belle...there is a number (event code) on the picture (I can't remember where...I believe its the top left corner). When I logged into my photopass account, I put the number from the photo in and it called it up and I just added the pictures to the photopass. Also, your receipt will have the same number on it as well

I am also on the fence about PhotoPass. We were there the first week of June last year...the PhotoPass photographers were not!! It was very difficult to find them. But, I have also heard that other times of year they are all around. I think it just depends on the timing.

One photographer we did meet up with was bored out of his mind...so he started taking action shots of my children playing in the little fountain area before you go into World Showcase from FutureWorld at Epcot. So, I do have pictures of of my children...wet!!

TwinFoxes
02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't have any experience with Photopass, but as the family photographer I want to do this! I'm sick of having no pictures, or extremely crappy pictures of me and the girls. We have very few pictures of the four of us. I think if we don't like the photos we don't have to buy a CD, but it's a good way to get some family pictures (hello Christmas card 2010!)

billysmommy
02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
We bought the cd when we went last January. The photographers were everywhere and they took some really great pics. We ended up with more than 1500 pictures after I cropped, added borders, effects, etc so it was well worth it. I loved having pictures with all of us in them!!!

This last trip we got some great pics with our camera and not as many on the photopass card so didn't get the cd but we did order 2 prints.

Fairy
02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
The photopass is free, so I'd say go for it and let them take your pictures everywhere. However, I do think the photos to purchase are way the hell overpriced. I meay way. However, I did buy one for download. So, my best advice is to give yourself the opportunity for a wonderful photo, don't pass that up, but when it comes time to actually purchase it, choose wisely, one or two, don't go hog wild, accept the cost, and enjoy.

Tinkerbell313
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes, the pictures are expensive. However, I did not order any pcitures. I paid $79 for the CD (we went last year before the prices of the CDs went up and I also had a 30% off CD coupon from Disney). You can put all the photopass pictures as well as the character meals on the CD and you can add borders and change the colors, etc. You just cannot add your own pictures from your own camera onto the photopass.

Then Disney sends you the CD and you can then print the pictures out in all different sizes at Costco, Walgreens, or your own computer. If you go to the store, make sure you have the copyright printed out from the CD. The copyright shows that you are the owner of the pictures.

JTsMom
02-02-2010, 02:58 PM
You CAN add the character meal pictures. We ate at Akershaus in Norway. I added the picture of DD with Belle...there is a number (event code) on the picture (I can't remember where...I believe its the top left corner). When I logged into my photopass account, I put the number from the photo in and it called it up and I just added the pictures to the photopass. Also, your receipt will have the same number on it as well

I am also on the fence about PhotoPass. We were there the first week of June last year...the PhotoPass photographers were not!! It was very difficult to find them. But, I have also heard that other times of year they are all around. I think it just depends on the timing.

One photographer we did meet up with was bored out of his mind...so he started taking action shots of my children playing in the little fountain area before you go into World Showcase from FutureWorld at Epcot. So, I do have pictures of of my children...wet!!

So you bought the pic separately then added it so you could put a border on? I meant that you couldn't get it rolled into the price- at least they wouldn't let us do it. When we went to HDDR, for example, they wouldn't scan our card like they would at a character meet and greet.

At TT, there is a machine where you can scan your card, and it puts your pic right into your account without you having to purchase anything additional.

egoldber
02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
When you go to the Photopass site, you can add in the number from the Epcot princess meal just like you can add another PhotoPass card (if you happen to have more than one).

At the Epcot princess meal, the photo is included in the price of the meal, you don't pay "extra" for it.

JTsMom
02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Ahhh, there you go! Life is different with the princess meals.

Tinkerbell313
02-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Actually, its any event which includes a picture with the dinner price (you do not have to buy the picture for an extra charge)...you can do it with Pirates League and another princess meal, CRT, in addition to Akershus. I am not sure what other meals/events include pictures w/o additional charges. The pictures are already included with your dinner. Therefore,you are not putting out extra money for photos such as you do at CM or TH. The good thing is you can then get several copies at different sizes of the pictures without additional charges and its all on the one price you paid for the CD.

At character meals where there is formal photo location like Chef Mickey (big plate and Mickey statue) or Tusker House (Safari Donald), they'll come around and show you the photos so you can purchase (this is different from the meals which already include the picture in with the meal price). The package is something like $30. If you purchase the package, then you'll have the receipt with the 16 digit code.

If there is an event number (16 digit code) on your receipt (whether you get a picture with it or not)...I would try it and type it into the photopass website and see what it pulls up. It won't do any harm.

JTsMom
02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
My point is that as far as the value of photopass goes, this doesn't factor into it being a deal, kwim? OP's question was about whether the cost of it included those types of pics, and really, it doesn't. It would either be extra ($30 or whatever, per location), or it would be something you were already getting anyway. It's not like you now get that $30 package included in the cost of the CD, and therefor can say you got something more out of it. I guess you can say now you have it on CD and can print more, so if you wanted to use your Chef Mickey's plate pic as your Christmas card or something, you could.

I just can't see buying one of those packages at a meal when they will willingly take a pic of your family with your own camera.

ETA: Just in case anyone knows there is no way they'll purchase those meal pics, you do NOT have to stand in line to have one taken. Sometimes they make it seem like it's a necessary step, but it's not. Of course, like I mentioned, you could ask them to take one with your own camera, it's just not worthwhile to me.

fivi2
02-02-2010, 04:57 PM
ETA: Just in case anyone knows there is no way they'll purchase those meal pics, you do NOT have to stand in line to have one taken. Sometimes they make it seem like it's a necessary step, but it's not. Of course, like I mentioned, you could ask them to take one with your own camera, it's just not worthwhile to me.

Just as an FYI, according to people on the disboards, if you do Tusker House breakfast, sometimes the only time you see Donald is at that entry photo op. When we went last year, there weren't any characters at the photo, and Donald came to the tables. But according to some recent posters, they only saw Donald at the photo op - he did not come to tables. So... you may want to do the photo if you want to see Donald.

this is all disboard rumor... I have no first hand knowledge of this change!

JTsMom
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
That's good to know. We did TH for the first time in Dec., and Donald did visit our table. That was actually one of our better character meals this trip. Lots of good interaction. Daisy was hilarious! :)

fivi2
02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
That's good to know. We did TH for the first time in Dec., and Donald did visit our table. That was actually one of our better character meals this trip. Lots of good interaction. Daisy was hilarious! :)

We loved Tusker House last time and are doing it again in May! I agree, it is a fun one! (of course, I don't have much to compare it too ;) ) And when we went, Donald did come by the table, just some on the disboards reported differently... I dunno, just wanted to share what I had heard!

Corie
02-02-2010, 09:48 PM

We did Tusker House for the first time in December too and Donald did NOT
come to our table.
So, on the way out, there was no one waiting in line to see Donald and I took
a picture of the kids with him.

egoldber
02-02-2010, 10:05 PM
It's pretty common at character meals for one character to be outside and only available there vs inside. You always have the option of using your own camera vs buying their photo. But in some meals the photo is included in the meal price.

HallsofVA
02-03-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks for posting this! I didn't realize it, which caused me to look further at the pictures we got from CRT in January. Not only did I find the photopass number on the picture, I also found two smaller picture copies that I hadn't even realized were there, stuck behind the picture!