PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help me find . . .

lmintzer
02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
. . . a gorgeous, sexy going-out outfit? DH's 40th is coming up, and we are going out to dinner with friends.

It can be a dress, skirt, or fancy pants outfit. I'm leaning more toward a dress or skirt.

I am short (5'2") and wear a size 4-6 (sometimes petite) in dresses. I look better in things with waist lines (which is a problem--there's so much out there that's loose fitting these days).

Thanks!! : )

lizzywednesday
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
What's your coloring? (i.e. - blonde, brunette, redhead, etc.; pale/fair skinned, olive complexion, tan, African American, etc.; green, brown, blue eyes ...)

Any body issues you want to camouflage? Hemline length specifications? Anything I'm forgetting????

Oh yeah - what's the last outfit you felt sexy in?

(I know if it were me, I'd say the last outfit I felt sexy in was wearing my red bustier with a pair of jeans, Steve Madden heels and velvet jacket ... but I am a 5'8" brunette, with hazel eyes, decent boobs and a curvy booty, so this might not work for you.)

lmintzer
02-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I have long brown hair, blue eyes, and very fair skin. (LOL, this sounds like a personals ad). I'm okay with things that accentuate the boobs and waist but don't like to emphasize my butt and thighs.

I like to wear black, brown/bronze, grey/silver, and all shades of blue and green.

I'm going for more of a classy look before sexy (the sexy part would be more for dh, lol). He always tells me I should show myself off more, but I guess I lean more toward conservative. So maybe something that's "classic and sexy" -- if that's possible.

lizzywednesday
02-02-2010, 01:28 PM
If it were me, I'd stick to the greens & blues, but deep jewel tones, to offset your hair & skin and maybe add a little smokey eye makeup (get a consultation at the MAC counter or Sephora for how to do smokey eyes ... they are a lot easier than most women think!) and a neutral lip & cheek color (peach or nude family of colors unless the consultant disagrees ... MAC will because their employees do wear a LOT of makeup, but Sephora will be a little less pushy) ... and don't forget the mascara.

You can dress sexy without being trashy.

I think too many women think sexy automatically equals trashy, and that's part of where we get our hangups on what's appropriate.

Wearing something like a v-neck can elongate your neck, but if you're uncomfortable showing a bit of cleavage, you can always wear a lacy cami (or a cami bra, like they have at Soma, depending on your cup size) underneath ... or a nice necklace that your DH gave you.

I think, being the size you are, you might do well with a wrap or faux wrap dress - you get the emphasis on the waistline but the ease of a skirt to camouflage the hips/thighs (I think every woman thinks her hips & thighs are scary) and a nice v-neck for the elongation ... maybe along these lines:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3053166/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014178?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014178&P=1

catpagmo
02-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Have you looked at www.anntaylor.com? They have lots of pretty dresses in lots of colors and styles.

Nordstrom has lots to pick from, too. You can shop by your body type on their website.

This is a pretty one: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3076500/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014176?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014176&P=4

Have fun!

lmintzer
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Those are both pretty! Thanks!

Tomorrow, I might actually have some time to go to Nordrstom's. : )

oneplustwo
02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Nordstrom has lots to pick from, too. You can shop by your body type on their website.

Ooh -- I didn't know that! Can you tell me where on the website you can do this? I just looked and couldn't figure it out. Sorry for hijacking the thread, OP!

lizzywednesday
02-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Ooh -- I didn't know that! Can you tell me where on the website you can do this? I just looked and couldn't figure it out. Sorry for hijacking the thread, OP!

From Nordstrom.com, select Women, then Dress Shop.

You should see a bunch of drop-downs under a white heading "Shop By:"

The first drop-down is "Body Type" and VOILA! you've got selections based on what your shape is.

oneplustwo
02-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Fun! Thanks!

lmintzer
02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Well, I struck out at Nordstrom's (can't believe that!), Macy's, J. Crew, and Banana Republic (there was one "maybe" there). I don't know--maybe I just wasn't in the mood to shop. Weird, huh?

Then, on a whim, I ran into Black House White Market. I don't usually shop there, and I wasn't really looking for black this time. But, this dress (see link) caught my eye, and it fit perfectly and was flattering.

Now, I'm wondering how to jazz it up/add some color. The salesperson gave me pinkish/red shoes and a pink flower to clip on and a pink shawl. It looked really cute, but there was no way I was walking anywhere in shoes that high. I need something about 2-2 1/2 inches high at most. These were probably 3 1/2.

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=29&pageId=1&productId=560000835&viewAll=&prd=Shirred+Matte+Jersey+Dress&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=3&catId=cat210002&cat=Dresses++Skirts&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=2&size=

Anyway, I liked that the dress was a jersey matte instead of a shiny satin (in case the others we are going out with aren't as dressed up, I won't look overdressed.)

JenaW
02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
That's cute...and I love the idea of some splashy shoes and accessories. I have no idea where to find any though. I can't wear high heels either. I call mine "training heels" because they are either (a) short, or (b) a thick, stacked heel!

GL! I am sure you will look awesome, and I hope you FEEL awesome too!

catpagmo
02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Really cute dress! If it were me, I would wear black shoes, and add color with a fun clutch purse. I also like the idea of a wrap/shawl to add color. You could also do a fun shoe (maybe red, animal print, etc...) with a more neutral purse, and then use color in your jewelry.

lmintzer
02-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks. : ) If you see anything cute, please post. All ideas are welcome!

lmintzer
02-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Update:

I borrowed a gorgeous, chunky turqouise necklace from my mom. I happened to have a pashmina in pale blue/green color that matched perfectly. I bought a pair of black patent pumps (2 1/2 in. high--I can't walk in higher shoes).

I was happy with the results. : )

Thanks for all of your help.