PDA

View Full Version : Can you brown ground beef and freeze for later?

alien_host
02-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I bought 6 lbs of ground beef from Costco. I was going to make 2 lbs in to meatballs and I usually use the foodsaver to bag and freeze the rest in 1lb portions.

BUT I was wondering if I could brown the meat and freeze and then use for tacos or pasta sauce? Does it still taste the same? Seriously, I've really only frozen raw ground beef or meatballs.

srhs
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM
yes!
t1h, crazy DS2

SnuggleBuggles
02-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I do it all the time! It is truly the greatest thing I do for simple meal planning! I can grab it and add it to chili, pasta sauce, skillet dinners (I have a few great ones from the "More with Less" cookbook) and so many other things. I always cook up the chole package of meat but use half and freeze the other half.

Beth

ErinMC
02-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I do it all the time! It is truly the greatest thing I do for simple meal planning! I can grab it and add it to chili, pasta sauce, skillet dinners (I have a few great ones from the "More with Less" cookbook) and so many other things. I always cook up the chole package of meat but use half and freeze the other half.

Beth

I do the same thing. Brown it all and freeze in 1 lb portions. Makes chili, lasagna, etc really easy

Melaine
02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh yes! Way to cut down on dishes by cooking all at once so you don't have to dirty the pan over and over, ykwim?

alien_host
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you, I'll be doing that today. I feel stupid for not thinking of it before!

DebbieJ
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
yes yes yes. Whenever the 93% lean beef goes on sale around here, I buy up 10 lbs and brown most of it right away and put it in the freezer in 1# portions.

DrSally
02-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I've done it no problem

salsah
02-03-2010, 01:16 AM
absolutely! i never brown ground beef for just one meal. i make a big batch, divided it up into small portions and freeze it. that is one of my biggest time savers in the kitchen. (might be my only.)