PDA

View Full Version : Need booster reviews

sarahbrown29
02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
We are in the market for a new booster for carpooling. What can you tell me about these boosters? For the ones that convert from a harness to a booster, how do they work as a booster?
- Harmony LiteRider
- Evenflo AMP
- Cosco Traveler
- Graco Cargo
- Evenflo Generations
- Evenflo Chase
- Recaro Young Sport
- Evenflo Vision
- Graco TurboBooster

Thanks!

o_mom
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Are these mostly for 5-6 yos riding with you or for your DD to take along with other drivers? Do you need a harnessed seat?

I would really cross off all the combo seats (those that harness then booster) becase the make really bad boosters, except maybe the Young Sport. Actually, from that list the only one I would really suggest would be the TurboBooster (highback version). The first three are backless boosters, which would be more appropriate for larger 7-9+ yos.

The next five are combo seats and other than the Young Sport fairly bad boosters. The YS is kind of pricey for a 40 lb harness limit. Recaro Vivo would make more sense for this use and is less than half the cost.

sarahbrown29
02-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Are these mostly for 5-6 yos riding with you or for your DD to take along with other drivers? Do you need a harnessed seat?

The next five are combo seats and other than the Young Sport fairly bad boosters. The YS is kind of pricey for a 40 lb harness limit. Recaro Vivo would make more sense for this use and is less than half the cost.

Mostly for 5-6yo for my car. I have an Evenflo HBB but it doesn't fit where I need it too so I was researching other options. I was hoping the other seats would be good so that DD2/3 could eventually use them, but if not, I am not out that much $$!

Anything else you could recommend would be appreciated! The narrower the better ...

o_mom
02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Hmmm.. I guess try the TurboBooster first. BRU should have one that you can take out to the car (or I would guess one of your mom friends might - its really common). It's not always the narrowest, but the one most likely to find in a B&M store to try in person.

The Vivo is fairly narrow, but the beltguides on the lap are narrow so it may be harder to buckle. The Parkway SG is also fairly narrow. It is more expensive, but if your DD1 could eventually use it, it might be worth investing in.

Joolsplus2
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Evenflo Maestro is the only cheap combo booster that actually is a good booster later, the rest are basically useless. It harnesses to 50 pounds and 18 inches top harness height and installs easily. So, a good choice if you still want a harness, but otherwise, I totally will echo o-mom on the booster recommendations :)

sarahbrown29
02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Evenflo Maestro is the only cheap combo booster that actually is a good booster later, the rest are basically useless. It harnesses to 50 pounds and 18 inches top harness height and installs easily. So, a good choice if you still want a harness, but otherwise, I totally will echo o-mom on the booster recommendations :)

Thanks! Some more options ... I don't mind spending the $$ if they work well!!
- Compass B512
- Combi Kobuk
- Maxi Cosi Rodi

o_mom
02-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Compass is wide and not usually a good fit on younger booster riders. The Rodi doesn't position the lapbelt well, is short and requires support behind the head in the form of a vehicle seatback or headrest. The Rodi XR fixes the lapbelt (not sure on the other two issues), but it is more $$. I haven't seen the Kobuk at all, maybe Julie can comment on that.

Maestro could be an option. The booster portion isn't exceedingly tall, but may work for your needs.

Joolsplus2
02-03-2010, 09:08 AM
You haven't seen the Kobuk because it has long been tossed in my trashcan due to an unbearably difficult seatbelt routing situation (it has slits in the side, not belt guides under armrests, it's incompatible with many cars and virtually impossible for little kids to buckle alone).
Maxi Cosi Rodi XR looks nice, www.carseatblog.com just did an 'unboxing' episode, but I don't think they've reviewed it in the car yet, so not sure on ease of buckling.