PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant at the beach: cover up the belly?

citymama
02-03-2010, 02:55 AM
So we are taking a beach vacation later this month - I'll be around 29-30 weeks pg. I bought a 2-piece swim short/bikini top combo at Athleta last summer, before I was pg, and had planned to use that for the trip. Is it OK to wear a 2-piece and bare an almost 7 month belly, or are maternity swimsuits de rigueur? I could buy an inexpensive maternity tankini at Old Navy, but this is the only week I expect to be in a swimsuit during my pregnancy so it would just be for our HI trip. The first pregnancy I did just a regular bikini, but I don't think I was in a swimsuit much past 5 months (and was carrying waaay smaller than this football belly I already have at 26 weeks).

Truth be told, I'm way more self-conscious about baring my legs right now - with the hideous varicose veins covering them - than I am my belly. I told DH I'd need to wear support hose at the beach. :ROTFLMAO:And I was sort of serious. I'm definitely gonna need that sarong. Any other leg cover-up suggestions would be great too!

So back to my original question: are pregnant bellies are typically covered up at the beach or will the bikini be ok? Let me know what you think! Thanks.

goldenpig
02-03-2010, 03:52 AM
Let it all hang out! Pregnant bellies are beautiful! I just wear my old bikinis when I go swimming.

JenaW
02-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree. We just got back from a cruise and I saw so many pregnant bellies bared in bikinis that itmade me want to be pregnant!! I actually only wear bikinis when I am pregnant. Otherwise I have too much of a pooch to let it hang out.

citymama
02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Alright! One less thing to buy or worry about. Now if you have some solution to ugly legs, let me know...:)

lizzywednesday
02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Alright! One less thing to buy or worry about. Now if you have some solution to ugly legs, let me know...:)

Ignore them and focus on your pretty belly! :ROTFLMAO:

(IDK; I'm looking forward to the beach this summer with ILs, but not the heaviness of my legs. Thank G-d I didn't end up with varicose veins like my mother always did!)

citymama
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Ignore them and focus on your pretty belly! :ROTFLMAO:

(IDK; I'm looking forward to the beach this summer with ILs, but not the heaviness of my legs. Thank G-d I didn't end up with varicose veins like my mother always did!)

I got those veins and they aren't pretty...

...one good thing is that with the first pregnancy they went away within 6 months or so post-partum...

ahrimie
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
NO!!! Wear your bikini!!!!

If you want to cover your legs, I'd do a bikini and tie a sarong under your belly and wear it as a skirt :)

crl
02-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I totally agree with the bikini! If you wanted to you could use one of those gradual self-tanners? I don't know what's in them so I don't know if they are safe for pregnancy though.

Have fun!
Catherine

lizzywednesday
02-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I got those veins and they aren't pretty...

...one good thing is that with the first pregnancy they went away within 6 months or so post-partum...

Believe me, I know they're not pretty!

arivecchi
02-04-2010, 12:41 PM
I went on a beach vacay before I had DS1. I wore bikinis and cute sarongs/cover-ups. Go for it you sexy mama!

Andi98989
02-04-2010, 02:02 PM
If you're okay with it, go for it!

By that point I was a mess of stretch marks and could barely stand to look at myself getting out of the shower, so there's no way I could have done it. Even my mom was shocked when I finally showed them to her a few weeks ago. Looks like I'm destined to wear a tankini! :)

SM23Mama21
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
What about a pair of yoga capri's to cover your legs?