PDA

View Full Version : Bugaboo Bee or Cameleon...many questions

jp1975
02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi!

Complicated situation. I have a 2 1/2 month old and live abroad. We have a Bugaboo Cameleon. In general I really like it EXCEPT we have 3 big trips coming up before the little one is six months. 2 of them I'll be traveling overseas alone with her, and really don't want to mess with the Cameleon in airports. I started looking at more portable strollers and now I am kind of considering trading in my Cameleon for a Bee. Because I live abroad but bought the Cameleon in the States, I am pretty sure I could sell it without losing much money (they are almost twice the price here), so that isn't such an issue. Here are the factors:
- I am not walking outside as much as I thought I would (new neighborhood) and use the car (Honda Civic) more than anticipated. Right now, it's fine, as we use it with the car seat, but wonder if it will be a pain once it is the base and seat.
- However, we do go for a longish leisure walk (around 1/2 hour - an hour depending on how long she'll tolerate) most days.
- the 3 trips before she's six months old, each around 1-2 weeks long
- she hates the cameleon's bassinet, so we don't even use that feature but mostly use it with the car seat
- I really love the Bugaboo's maneuverability. The other option is to keep the cameleon and get maclaren for traveling, but I hate how the stroller tips over when you hang stuff on it, as I always have lots of stuff hanging from diaper bag. Can you keep more on the Bee handlebar, similar to the Cameleon?
- The Bee also appeals to me because our apartment is not so big and the Cameleon seems to always be in the way.
- We never take public transportation (not really available here) but are in the car or taxi almost every day.

I just wonder if I did trade the Cameleon for a Bee, would I be annoyed with the Bee on our longer walks? Could the Bee replace the Cameleon for us? Or would you just keep the Cameleon and get a travel stroller? Or just travel with the Cameleon?

The other questions is about the Bee cocoon. Do you think this could be used as a short-term travel bed? Could she nap in there while we are traveling (she co-sleeps at night)?

Thanks for your help! I can't believe I am still so stroller-obsessed!

edurnemk
02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
The other option is to keep the cameleon and get maclaren for traveling, but I hate how the stroller tips over when you hang stuff on it, as I always have lots of stuff hanging from diaper bag. Can you keep more on the Bee handlebar, similar to the Cameleon?

If you like to take long walks I would keep the Cam. I find that the Bug / Mac (or others of those kinds) combination is ideal. We use the Quest for travel and quick car trips, but I'm considering trading it for a Per Pergo Si, you might want to look at that one, since it has full recline, huge canopy and won't tip over. I have a Chicco Liteway at my mom's place (abroad) it also doesn't tip over with a huge diaper bag, but the steering with a toddler on it is not great.

I also would be kind of nervous gate checking a Bee, airlines can really damage strollers. DH will not let me travel with the Vista, even with a travel bag.

ahrimie
02-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I have both the bee and cam. I'd say, if you only want one stroller, keep the cam. It's not perfect for long walks or for traveling but it is definitely good enough for both. You would hate the bee for long walks--it's just rockier and gets caught on things outside.

However, if you're open to buying another stroller, I'd do the Bee and then a jogging stroller with air tires like the BJ Elite or Bob.

I do love love the Bee for traveling. Especially since it doesn't tip and when you travel, you almost always have tons of stuff to carry--it'll hold everything. I've gate checked both strollers with and without travel bags (with the Cam, you can't do the travel bag by yourself though. You really need both hands so unless you have a someplace or someone to hold the baby, I'd say its a no-go.)

jacksmoma
02-03-2010, 06:28 PM
i hated the bee, sold it after one day, beyond bumpy outside on a sidewalk! keep the cam, fold is a pita, just get a mac for travel/car :)

MamaBear
02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
We've lived in and travelled around Europe with our Bug - it is fantastic on cobblestones! The steering is also perfect for darting around pedestrian districts or in narrow aisles or doorways. Although our Mutsy is currently getting the most use, I think we might bring the Bug again on our spring trip to Europe.

hulber
02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
We were looking at the Bee then decided to get the Uppababy Vista. It is pretty maneuverable, it has a single fold and a travel bag. It's not as light and I'm sure it's wider than the Bee.

WatchingThemGrow
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Keep your bug. I love using mine 4 years after we bought it! We use a Mac Triumph and an Ergo for travel when we aren't walking a lot on surfaces that require air tires. For a two week trip, though, I'd consider the Bugaboo Bag (we have one) and check your stroller as luggage. They cover it if anything happens while it is in the bag.

codex57
02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I love our Cam. Hate the Bee with a passion. Just think there are so many far superior strollers that compete with the Bee.

jp1975
02-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Thanks so much for this feedback! It is really useful. Think I'll keep the Cameleon then and get a travel stroller. I hadn't looked at the Peg Perego Si. LOVE that it won't tip. Now I've got to post another question about it!

One more thing on the Cameleon though. It says not to use the seat until 6 months. Why is that? My LO HATES the bassinet and we keep wheeling her around the car seat (she likes to see). Is there any reason not to use the seat earlier? Could I just use it with a snuzzler to make it more cozy for her?

jp1975
02-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Oh, and another Cameleon question. I have noticed that the handle is squeaking lately. How do I remedy this?

MamaBear
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Forgot to say that I've *never* had my Cam tip, and I've hung a fully-loaded diaper bag off the handles, plus shopping bags (using a Mommy Hook). Even with the newborn in the bassinet it wasn't tippy.

We started using the seat with #1 at just over 3 months; just never tilted it fully upright, either flat or the middle position.

edurnemk
02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
One more thing on the Cameleon though. It says not to use the seat until 6 months. Why is that? My LO HATES the bassinet and we keep wheeling her around the car seat (she likes to see). Is there any reason not to use the seat earlier? Could I just use it with a snuzzler to make it more cozy for her?

I guess they meant to not use it fully upright until 6 months? I thought it was 3 months for those kind of strollers... Anyway if you use the seat reclined, the baby will be fine. I don't see how a 3, 4 or 5 month old would like being in the bassinet for a stroll.