PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good quality dresser and THEN the crib?

Sonora
02-03-2010, 03:59 PM
It seems to me that low- to mid-priced cribs are all pretty much the same - they seem to be generally sturdy and versatile, although I'm yet to find one that isn't reviewed as being easily scratched. I guess I'll have to live with that. My concern is with the matching dressers. For example, I like the look and price of the DaVinci Emily crib, but the dresser has bad reviews for being flimsy.

So - does anyone have ideas for a good quality dresser (to double as a change table) that's around $300? I like fairly plain styling. If I can get the dresser right, with luck I'll also like the crib that matches it. But I can imagine my impending frustrations if the dresser is poorly made or the drawers fall apart.

meggie t
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
We have purchased the Emily mini-crib (live in an apt with minimal nursery space). Love the look, size and sturdiness and will have to deal with the "easily scratched" aspect.

For a dresser, I would recommend a second-hand/consignment or unpainted furniture store and paint how you would like it. We are repurposing a dresser in this way - just sent it to the refinisher. I think it is a much better way to get something that will last.

Good luck!

BeachBum
02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't have any specific suggestions, but I think you are on the right track. A dresser really has to "do" something, and you will need it to last for many years.

AnnieW625
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you have access to a furniture store that sells unfinished furniture? I find their quality to be just as good as what you'd get from a specialty baby store and if you don't mind staining it it will be a fraction of the cost.

Sonora
02-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. We do have local unfinished furniture stores and I had considered that. My only objection is that they tend to be all the same style - bulky plain pine. I was thinking of changing out the knobs and staining to match whatever crib we buy.

mtnsnow
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
It seems to me that low- to mid-priced cribs are all pretty much the same - they seem to be generally sturdy and versatile, although I'm yet to find one that isn't reviewed as being easily scratched. I guess I'll have to live with that.

When the store delivered our furniture they told us to watch belt buckles etc when leaning into the crib or when up against the changer because the finishes scratch easily.

I asked why and he told me it has to do with the standards that our government has put into place to keep the babies safe etc. All finishes have to be non toxic, so the manufacturer can't put in all the good things that make our kitchen cabinets and dining room tables SO tough and scratch resistant. Kids don't chew and gnaw on those like they do cribs, and dressers (I guess).

That's why they make special mention of it when delivering the furniture. He also told me to watch the dehumidifier near baby furniture.....

Learn something new every day.....