PDA

View Full Version : What's new in convertibles?

DebbieJ
02-04-2010, 12:06 AM
DS2 is 16 lbs and I don't know how much longer I can lug this baby bucket around.

We used a MA for DS1 and he didn't outgrow it til 5 1/2. I have a feeling DS2 won't last as long since he's a tad bigger. LOL

I think I gathered that maybe the Radian is a better choice for a larger child?

Starting to do my research so I can pounce when the deal presents itself.

Muddying the issue is a $150 store credit to BRU.

GraceH
02-04-2010, 12:23 AM
The Graco MyRide65 runs $160 at BRU, it has a similar slot height to the Marathons, but the RF weight limit is 40 pounds (which could be useful if you little one is trending chunky)...
If you have old/broken/expired baby gear around, BRU is doing their trade-in event through the 20th, where you'll get 25% one baby gear item on the day you trade something in (http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3554261)... in the case of MR65 > $160-25%=$120+tax=$131.70(with Crook County tax estimate for the Orland store)
The Radians are spendier, but they also offer a higher weight limit and are marvelously narrow.

DebbieJ
02-04-2010, 12:27 AM
The narrow might be helpful--we have a Honda CR-V and with the Nautilus and Safe Seat in there, there is no room for a passenger at the moment (which I suppose could be a good thing LOL)

Crook County--LOL. I think OP tax is 9.25%. ouch.

Momof3Labs
02-04-2010, 12:35 AM
The Radian recline might get you, though. It takes up a lot of front-to-back room when RF.

GraceH
02-04-2010, 12:36 AM
The narrow might be helpful--we have a Honda CR-V and with the Nautilus and Safe Seat in there, there is no room for a passenger at the moment (which I suppose could be a good thing LOL)

Crook County--LOL. I think OP tax is 9.25%. ouch.

Yeah, you might want to ask the others about how the Nautilus puzzles with the Radian (I haven't done it first hand myself) -- additionally, you'll want to try the RF install in your CR-V because the RF install of a Radian can be unfun, especially in smallerish vehicles... I've never seen Radians in a B&M BRU, so you wouldn't be able to do the 25% trade-in if that's the case...

For some reason I was thinking 9.75% for OP... that's what I calculated on...

GraceH
02-04-2010, 12:42 AM
PS - if I'm reading your posts & siggy correctly, I would be very surprised if you didn't make it to a year in the SS1 (which puts you in Sept?)...
...then if you could make it to 17 months, you'll be able to do another winter with the option to take the seat in when necessary (not that you have to carry it in every time -- but oh, how I missed that option this 3rd winter for DS...) and possibly a 2011 DOM at that point, buying you an extra year of usage...
...just musing ahead here...

DebbieJ
02-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Yeah, you might want to ask the others about how the Nautilus puzzles with the Radian (I haven't done it first hand myself) -- additionally, you'll want to try the RF install in your CR-V because the RF install of a Radian can be unfun, especially in smallerish vehicles... I've never seen Radians in a B&M BRU, so you wouldn't be able to do the 25% trade-in if that's the case...

For some reason I was thinking 9.75% for OP... that's what I calculated on...

Yeah either 9.25 or 9.75. It's different for every suburb and county around here, so I always have to double check. I know OP is the highest suburb around.

We're also talking about a new-to-us vehicle, so who knows what might happen....

arivecchi
02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
I installed a Radian in my SIL's CRV rear facing in the center with a lapbelt. It was easy to install and the install was rock solid and pretty upright. I also just used my Radian FFing for my toddler while we were travelling and it was awesome, so narrow and low in profile! With a Radian you get the best of both worlds - a great rear facing seat with a very high rear facing weight limit and an awesome front facing seat that will be easy for your child to climb in and out of. I posted a deal for the Radian XTSL for $209 shipped a couple of days/weeks ago. That is the model I installed in my SIL's CRV. My Radian puzzles beautifully with our Britax Frontier.

jjordan
02-04-2010, 02:12 PM
The radian is a great seat, but if you want to use your BRU store credit and you liked your marathon, you might consider a roundabout50. It should come to about $150 (pre-tax :)) if you can find some old baby equipment to turn in for a 25% coupon. It is pretty much the same size as a marathon (slightly higher top harness slots) and is just lacking of few features (like seatbelt lockoffs) that *most* people can happily do without.

AnnieW625
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
The radian is a great seat, but if you want to use your BRU store credit and you liked your marathon, you might consider a roundabout50. It should come to about $150 (pre-tax :)) if you can find some old baby equipment to turn in for a 25% coupon. It is pretty much the same size as a marathon (slightly higher top harness slots) and is just lacking of few features (like seatbelt lockoffs) that *most* people can happily do without.

agree with that, but also remember that $150 store credit to BRUS could buy a lot of little things like diapers.

jackyl08
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree with the recommendation for the RA50. I love mine. The harness adjuster is so nice. If it had lockoffs, it would be nearly perfect.