PDA

View Full Version : Frontier install tips?

JTsMom
02-04-2010, 04:38 PM
DS's new Frontier just arrived, and he is SO psyched! He wants it installed immediately, if not sooner, so I'm playing with it, and trying to make sure I know what I'm doing.

I want to do a belt install b/c he is over 40 lbs. Short belt or long belt path first? Does it matter?

Any other tips? I'll post a pic once I get it in.

Thanks guys!

JTsMom
02-04-2010, 04:49 PM
I should probably add that I'm putting it in the center row, middle seat of an 09 Sienna.

DrSally
02-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Definitely long belt path. There are some videos posted that helped us *a lot*. I'll see if I can find the thread. DH did it and said reclining the seat first while installing and then putting it back up helped a lot.

bubbaray
02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
http://carseatblog.com/?p=2386

HTH

JTsMom
02-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Holy PITA! I think it took 20+ tries, but it is in. A second pair of hands would definitely have helped. The belt just barely reaches. I'm going to wait until DH gets home and try one more time b/c it's a tad wiggly for my taste. I'm sure it's in and safe, but I'm still not thrilled.

Thanks for the video. :)

Joolsplus2
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah, it's a whole different can of worms from a convertible seat...but after the first few tries, it DOES get easier :)

arivecchi
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Yeah, it's a whole different can of worms from a convertible seat...but after the first few tries, it DOES get easier :):yeahthat: Hope you enjoy it! My son loves it!

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm still looking for my camera cord so I can upload some pics (we just moved this weekend), but after teaming up with DH to try re-installing the seat, we still have some concerns.

I think the number one issue is that the seatbelt is just too darn short. If I had another 2 inches to work with, we'd be all set. We did the long belt path install, but the seatbelt is sitting up high on the red belt guide. It's all the way at the top, and hanging over it at one point. The belt is kind of squished a little too- not twisted, just squished. The install is really solid, and there is virtually zero wiggle, especially after we tethered it, but where the belt is sitting makes me a little nervous. Yesterday, I tried the short path, and it was WAY too wiggly that way.

We also had a very hard time getting the whole base on the seat. There was no way one of us could do it alone. The car seat does have to be straight up, right? I just can't believe it was that hard to get it. It is supposed to fit well in the Sienna, isn't it? We've watched the videos, poured over the manuals, and usually do a pretty good job with this stuff, so I'm not sure why we're having such a hard time.

I'll keep looking for the cord so you all can see what I mean.

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Found it!

See, something is clearly not right with this install. ;)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z60/babiesandmommies/2010_02_04_IMG_8722.jpg

Ok, seriously....

(And please ignore the fact that I have GA clay all over the van- it's been raining for days.)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z60/babiesandmommies/2010_02_05_IMG_8733.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z60/babiesandmommies/2010_02_05_IMG_8735.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z60/babiesandmommies/2010_02_05_IMG_8736.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z60/babiesandmommies/2010_02_05_IMG_8737.jpg

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 08:30 PM
One more

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z60/babiesandmommies/2010_02_05_IMG_8739.jpg

ETA: This is at an angle, but you get the idea.

bubbaray
02-05-2010, 08:52 PM
If you put your knee into the back of the FR and push towards the back of the vehicle, I'd bet you could get the FR more on the vehicle seat. Its not too much overhang if you can't, but from the pics it looks to me like you might be able to get it a bit further towards the back.

Other than that, :thumbsup:

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Really?!? :boogie: So you don't think the belt being that far up on the guide is a problem? When I watched the video, their belt was so nicely centered. Different van, but why does it look so easy for them? :irked: And the bunchiness isn't a problem either then?

DH pushed the holy heck out of that seat to get it in that far. I don't think it's going in any deeper, unfortunately. I will say I did get a kick out of him not having any easier of a time than I did- shhh, don't tell.

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Oh, and one more question- does it matter that I have the headrest off?

Joolsplus2
02-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Looks fine to me :cheerleader1:

The red belt guides are for knowing where to put the seatbelt when you're in booster mode, so no worries about belts going above it in install mode. The base is huge, hanging off a little is just what it'll do (and that's fine, only the Nautilus goes against the standard rule of eighty percent of the base on the vehicle seat...).

Love the little elf there in the box, too :wink2:

Oh, since bubbaray did mention the seat might squish backwards more, I'll agree...but if you don't want to mess with it now, I wouldn't sweat it.

:)

bubbaray
02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, it kinda depends on your van's belts, KWIM? I think it looks OK.

I'm dreading the LBP in my Ody, actually.

bubbaray
02-05-2010, 09:01 PM
OK, Julie beat me to it. LOL.

Yes, absolutely OK to have the headrest off UNLESS your vehicle manual says otherwise. I always remove them in our vehicles. ETA for future clarity -- I remove them b/c there's nothing in our vehicle manual that prohibits it with respect to child restraint installation and I don't own any child restraints that require the headrest behind them (such as the Apex)- I know that the FR does not require the headrest to be installed behind it.

:thumbsup:

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Yay!! Thanks so much guys. Now I won't have to worry tomorrow. :D

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 09:05 PM
*$*@^% The manual does say do not drive with the head restraints removed. That rotten thing better go back in without me moving the seat.

bubbaray
02-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Hmmm, does it say that with respect to a seat where there is a child restraint? Check the child restraint section first.

ETA: I meant in my OP about the headrests to check the manual where it talks about child restraints.

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
No, it was just under head restraints in general... hold on.

JTsMom
02-05-2010, 09:13 PM
So far, I'm seeing that it says that if you're tethering in the second seat to remove the headrest, tether, then re-install. For the third row, to remove it completely and stow it. The FR is in the second row.

bubbaray
02-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Hmmm. Well, I guess you're looking at reinstalling it. BUT, I would be OK using it as it is until you get around to it.

You've TTd the seat, right?

bubbaray
02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Huh. Just reviewed DH's truck manual. Apparently *we* are going against his vehicle manua b/c it says to replace them once you TT. I can tell you that is no way that I'd be able to get a decent install with the headrests there for either seat (MA or GN).

The pictograms they show in his manual show the child restraint much lower than the headrest though. I see why that would be bad (particularly in a truck where is glass right there). In our case (and with your FR), there is plenty of child restraint above the child's head.

So, uh, yeah. There you have it. Not so proud moment.... Oh well. Its been one of those weeks.

DrSally
02-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Cute ffirst picture!

Joolsplus2
02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Don't worry about the headrests, the only case I know where they must be on is in the Mazda5 third row where they ARE the structural support for the seat and add all the strength for the top tether (and of course the Dorel boosters with no internal structure). For the rest, they are making an educated guess about how a carseat/tether will fit, or how less educated people take them off and leave themselves unprotected from whiplash injury risk.

JTsMom
02-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys. Sorry to go MIA on this post- we somehow picked up a computer virus in the midst of me posting- fun times!

I've actually had the headrest off for a while now, b/c I was able to get a better install w/ the MA that way, and never really thought much about it since 95% of the seat sat below it. Bad mommy. I haven't even had the chance to go out and see if I could put it back on, but I really doubt it. The way it's shaped, it really curves out on the ends, and I think it will end up pushing the seat way forward. If I couldn't get the MA in with it, I doubt I'll be able to get the FR w/ it's big old base in.