PDA

View Full Version : Need a new work wardrobe

JenaW
02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
So I think I am going to take the job (the one I've been stressing about over in the lounge). I met with them today and they seem very willing to compromise on my concerns. I'm just waiting for them to reword the contract, and hopefully I'll be good to go. However, my closet is not! I haven't worked out of the house in over 4 years, and most of what I do have is maternity or doesn't fit. I am a OBGYN PA, so I need to look professional, but not suits or dresses. Initially, I will only be working 1-2 days a week, so I don't need a TON of stuff, but I can't wear the same two pants and sweaters every week. I live in upstate NY, so winter here is just starting, but all the stores are already carrying spring and summer stuff. Help me find some clothes!! I like Target (or cheaper) prices, but have slightly higher taste. Most of my previous work pants were from Banana Rep, Gap, ATL, etc. I just checked all of those websites and nothing really jumped out at me. I am not sure what has happened with Gap recently, but I haven't liked most of their stuff for a while now. It seems too young for me. (I'm only 33!). For pants, I like boot cut or wide leg styles, with or without cuffs. I suppose skirts or comfy dresses are ok, especially if I can wear boots (or is that too casual?). I'm not as concerned with tops as I will most likely be wearing a lab coat. The providers at the main office (not where I will be, but where I interviewed) seem pretty casual - cords, sweaters, etc plus or minus a white coat. I have only met with the OBGYN once at work, and she was a bit dressier - black cuffed trousers, dressy blouse, nice jewelry, lab coat. I will be the only provider on the days I am there, and I will be working with a predominently low income and migrant farm worker population, so I don't want to look too expensive, but I would like to look professional and nice. If you have any suggestions for IRL or online stores can you let me know? Ideally, I'd stay under $30 per pants if possible (with 5 kids I have to be stingy when I shop), unless they are really high quality. I am hoping I can find some nicer stuff now that is on sale/clearance, if it is not too late. Someone posted here a few months ago about a web site that had pants for a really good price, but I can't remember the place. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Just a thought to keep you in the budget you'd like...are there any consignment stores in your area? I've never actually bought anything (I've only bought maternity for the last 4.5 years!) but they seem to have nice brands and pretty current styles. Last month a friend hosted a "clothing swap" where a bunch of moms got together and organized all the stuff we can't or don't wear anymore. I got a few nice pairs of pants and tops/sweaters plus some dresses for FREE. They were all nice quality, totally things I'd wear to work if I were working. It felt great to give away the stuff that isn't working for me anymore and watch other friends get excited about the pieces.

JenaW
02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
A consignment store is a good idea. We have a Good Will store in my town, but their offerings are pathetic. One of the more posher suburbs might have a better selection (although do the "really rich" ones actually have consignment stores??).

Another question - DEB has some really cute (more springy though) skirts coming out soon. Like these
http://www.downeastbasics.com/strokeofartskirt--comingsoon.aspx
http://www.downeastbasics.com/crystalclearskirt.aspx
http://www.downeastbasics.com/reallyregalskirt.aspx

I do not do stockings or tights...especially not for a long day at work (until I need to start wearing support hose...). I do occasionally wear thigh highs, but I am afraid that wearing them for a long day is not a good idea either, as I would be constantly hiking them up. I'm not sure bare legs (when the weather is warmer) are appropriate for a clinic setting?? I am not sure what shoes to wear either. I have a pair of dansko mary janes that are obviously professional looking shoes, but work OKAY with a skirt or dress. Can I wear high boots? Also, what is the rule with a lab coat and skirts. Should the skirt be long enough to peek out the bottom? Otherwise I will look like a streaker from behind, won't I?? I am so fashion clueless.....

elektra
02-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Nordstrom personal shopper!
I had to get a little work wardrobe together and I was so pleased with the experience. Here is the thread on it. ;)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=343028&highlight=nordstrom&page=2

And even though I spent more money than I wanted, you could totally go in with a firm budget, pick and choose just a few things, and then mentally catalog what they bring you so you can try and find cheaper versions at other stores.
Be prepared to love what they bring out though!

JenaW
02-04-2010, 06:54 PM
No Nordstrom's within 100 miles :( Although we may go to Pittsburgh in a few weeks, and I think they have one there.

bubbaray
02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Well, *I* would be looking for washable clothes, preferably ones that are wrinkle-resistant. Saves on drycleaning costs and is better for the environment than dry cleaning.... I wear such clothes to work when I'm not in court.

What about Lands End? I like their khakis and their wrinkle-resistant shirts are the best in the biz IMO. I also like their sweatsets, though that might be too warm with a lab coat too. I know my GP wears bare legs (no nylons/tights) when she wears skirts. She's established and I'm pretty sure if someone told her to wear a specific "dress code", she'd tell them where to stick it....

Do you have to wear a lab coat? Most medical people here do not unless they are also in scrubs.... I think the trend is away from that (here at least) towards less formal (intimidating?) attire.

JenaW
02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
I rarely, if ever, buy dry clean only. Mainly because I am too cheap and too lazy to take my clothes to the cleaners. But thanks for the reminder, because even though I will be working away from the kids, I still will have them crawling all over me in the morning before I leave, and who knows what lovely stuff I will come in contact with while at work!

Not 100% about the lab coat, although I like mine because I utilize the pockets (stethoscope in one since I probably won't use it for every patient), pregnancy wheel, my iPhone (with a few medical apps). I will probably start out wearing it and then phase it out as I get more comfortable there. I am often told I look about 18 (I'm 33, and certainly don't feel 18, nor do I think I look it), and am always asked if I am the nurse or the tech.

I honestly never thought of Land's End. I always thought of them as too matronly, but I have liked several of their looks in recent catalogs. I'll check out their site now. Thanks

bubbaray
02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Here are things I am looking at for myself (I'm 5'9", somewhat slim, size M)

Cardigan -- probably with a similar tone in longer t-shirt underneath. Possibly grey.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/OriginalSolidFineGaugeDrapeCardiganSweater~205115_ 59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::MUS&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000119&origin=index

Chinos -- probably black, though I could also use a new khaki pair:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/WeekendChinoStraightLegPants~205117_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::HLZ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000001019&origin=index

If you don't like straighter-legged ones, they usually have bootcut or flared styles.

Shirt: I like pretty much any of the LE no-iron shirts.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/SolidNoIronPinpointCottonShirt~109504_59.html?bcc= y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CBU&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000116&origin=index

I usually get shirts from their overstocks, but their no-iron ones are worth full price IMO. They are nicer than the LLB no-iron shirts. They truly look like they came from the cleaners. Even my lawyer coworkers are always very impressed with them. I'd probably get a couple of long-sleeved ones and maybe one or two 3/4 sleeved ones.

Their fine gauge sweaters are super nice too.

ThreeofUs
02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
You know, both LE and LLB are having good sales on career wear now. Try the overstocks page on LE and the sale page on LLB.

ITA with Melissa, btw: LE sounds like it would be a great fit with your needs in many ways.

GL with your shopping!

diegosmom
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I always find good sales on Ann Taylor Loft or even in their outlets. Their sizes tend to run fairly consistent so once you know your size you can order from the Clearance section online. The clothes seem to last and give a good casual but professional look.

Just a suggestion.

graciebellesmomma
02-05-2010, 12:36 AM
I suggest TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross.

I just got two cardis and chinos exactly like bubba posted.
I got a brown cardi, a black one and black chinos. All at Ross.
The Chinos are Liz Claiborne and I paide 16.99.
The open, longer cardis were 8.99 EACH. I also got
two pairs of darling flats for 4.99 and 8.99. The Ross
up here in Tahoe is usually not so great. I prefer Marshalls
and TjMaxx.

The shoes were on clearance, but the rest of the stuff is
normal price. They have lots of button front oxford cloth
shirts, chinos, black and gray nicer slacks, lots of liz claiborne,
and many other cute brands.

I'd take an afternoon and hit a few of those stores. I'd think you
could wear skirts, boots and a nice blouse or shirt with the
lab coat over it.

Congrats on the job!

ltmommy
02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I second the LOFT suggestion. Most of the pants and dresses I have bought there are machine washable, and prices are very reasonable - lately there have been some 40% off full-price coupons, and I usually find great stuff on clearance. I tend to need dressier clothes for my work, but they have loads of dressier knit shirts on sale for $10-$20 that I wear on the weekends. A big plus is that if you are harder to fit at all (I am petite and curvy) they have a wide variety of styles to suit different body types. I also like that most of the styles are pretty classic, but a little trendier than Lands End.

JenaW
02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm hoping to hit the outlets this weekend, if DH doesn't spend all of it at the hospital. There is NO way I am taking 5 kids shopping for a new wardrobe! I will definitely hit ATL, and check out BR. We have a nice TJMaxx (or is it Marshalls) across town. I don't know why I never go there. I get overwhelmed by all the racks, and it IS over a 45 min drive, but when I do brave it, I usually score some good deals. I also like the new LE casual line but it may be too casual and too young. I will check out some of their career wear though. We have a store that's not too far of a drive, so hopefully I can get an idea of sizing before I order online. I think they have free shipping/returns if you order at the store too, so that is a bonus.

I am not sure about the button downs. I never seem to have good luck with them. My chest is not huge, but by the time I find a shirt that fits across it without straining the buttons, there is too much material elsewhere. Of course it has been a few years since I have shopped for one, so maybe I'd have better luck. Do you always wear them tucked in? I think that is part of the problem too, since my belly is not quite flat enough to pull off that look. I don't quite need a full empire waist, but I do need some gathering, or a looser fit across my waist to look the best. But if I get the shirt loose enough for my chest and leave it untucked I worry that I will look pregnant.

Has anyone ordered from Martin and Osa? I found that link online last night and they have some reasonably priced pants and some cuter casual tops that might work under a coat, but I am not sure about their sizing. The chart says to go by bust for tops, but that would put me at a 16 or 18, when I usually order a L...although I do wear XL and XXL in DEB, so maybe they are sized more like them??

kmillini
02-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Do you have any Talbots near you? I just went to the Talbots near me a week ago and got 2-3 dress pants, 2 sweaters and a dress shirt for $100. They had 50% off of all of their merchandise that was already on sale. I am not sure if it is still going on or not. I always buy dress pants when Talbots has a big sale. They have 2-3 big sales a year. I don't shop there much, but I do like their dress pants.

mnosky1
02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm a CRNP - not everyone in my office wears a lab coat but I do because - I am always freezing and I need pockets for my phone, rx pad, stethescope, pens etc. Plus I sometimes wear stuff a little older that I wouldn't normally wear if it wasn't mostly covered by a lab coat :)

Black pants, grey pants - limited, AT loft, banana republic outlet, AT outlet(most of mine are not new - they last forever). I have a pair of black pinstripe pants that I got at Target 7 years ago (gasp!) and they still look new with about a million machine wash and dry. I rarely wear khakis because I think they are too casual and I need to iron them everytime. Make sure pants machine wash because not only cost issue with dry cleaning, I sometimes find all my black pants are at cleaners!

Shoes - always comfy put prefer a little heel- dansko, clarks, areosoles, softspots (my fave)

Tops - department stores, plus above stores, tjmaxx or marshalls, gap outlet, target, usually solid colors, I wear a lot of fine guauge sweaters and t-neck sweaters are my fave now and I think they look nice with a lab coat. If you have a lab coat, you could even go with a solid LS T shirt style, especially if you dress it up with a necklace.
You should be able to find a lot on sale now even if selection isn't great.

FYI - for summer, I finally gave up following OSHA and wear dress sandals without socks, I can wear sleeveless tops because of the lab coat and I think capris look bad with a labcoat so I won't wear them (and so many summer pants are capris). I wear most of my black pants year round (except one pair of very thin ones and one pair of wool)

AT loft sale shirts - I'd wear most of these with dress pants
http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/category_sale.jsp?Nr=AND(CAT_SALE_FLAG:Y)&N=1200043&pCategoryId=3364&categoryId=273&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_273&loc=TN

I have a pair of the dressier denim and think they are ok for work
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=407493&CategoryID=18876

Glad Rags in Upper St Clair, PA is nice consignment store if you will be in south hills of Pittsburgh. And I love the outlets.

Good luck!

DrSally
02-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I have found nice, professional pants (nicer khakis, tweeds, cords) at TJMax in the $20 range. The best part is that they have petites. Not sure if your in reg or petites.

DrSally
02-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I was just at our bigger Sears today (bigger LE dept.), great cords for 50% off the clearance price, making them $15. Also, some cute tops. I bet you could find a lot of chinos and chords in the LE dept. Try to go to a bigger Sears though, they'll have a better selection.

ETA: Also, my wide feet won't fit into them, but they had some cute suede mary janes for adults that might look nice with the more business casual look.

StantonHyde
02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
In summer, I think you can wear longer skirts without hose. Anything at or just below the knees, I would wear hose. (Well, I don't wear hose. I am tall so always wear long skirts and dresses!) And I think boots with skirts are fine--that's what I do in the winter so I don't have to wear hose.

I think with your population, your best bets are pants and tops/sweaters. Looks way more approachable.

Green22
02-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Congrats on your job!

I don't have too much to add to what the other ladies said, but I would suggest checking out Martin & Osa (I have found they run about 1 size smaller than Banana Republic sizes) and NY&Co. If you sign up online, both frequently have codes and sales and NY&Co does cash-back stuff. I have purchased a couple of things from M&O and thought they were sturdy and a nice quality.

The quality on NY&Co isn on par with Target in my opinion. But if you are stocking up on basics which you might feel are more "matronly" (though I don't think that is necessarily true but I understand what you mean), you can add some trendy/younger/fresh pieces from a place like NY&Co for not a lot of money. I feel like they have *some* similar styles to Ann Taylor Loft.