PDA

View Full Version : What kind of fruit to bring?

KrisM
02-05-2010, 05:44 PM
We are going to a relative's house for bunch on Sunday and are brining fruit to go with their menu. The menu is: "big apple" pancake (maybe two) and having granola, yogurt and fruit.

I don't know what "big apple" pancake is and we aren't granola people and buy yogurt with fruit already in it :).

So, can I bring strawberries, raspberries and bananas? Or something else for the granola? Do I cut it and mix it or just clean it and bring them separate?

These relatives are generally "fancier" than we are and I want to get it right :).

I had figured we couldn't go wrong with going for brunch instead of dinner, but I'm not completely sure my kids are going to eat any of the menu :(.

bubbaray
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
It sounds weird, but my fave fruit with yogurt and granola is large (peeled) navel oranges, sectioned and cut in half (quarters for kids). OMG, love that. I use vanilla yogurt.

lizzywednesday
02-05-2010, 06:43 PM
It sounds weird, but my fave fruit with yogurt and granola is large (peeled) navel oranges, sectioned and cut in half (quarters for kids). OMG, love that. I use vanilla yogurt.

That sounds like a Creamsicle but less artificial.

On topic, I'd bring a cut fruit tray instead of killing myself over a bunch of berries and stuff separately ... the cost would work out to be about the same.

bubbaray
02-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Its a German thing, apparently. DH came home with it from one of his trips to visit his family over there. I thought it sounded icky, but loved it!

alien_host
02-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I think bringing berries and bananas are fine, although I wouldn't mix the bananas with the berries, I find the banana flavor over takes the other fruit and if you don't like banana...

diegosmom
02-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I second the berries and some of them shouldn't be to much work. Like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. It's pretty much wash and go.

ciw
02-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I had figured we couldn't go wrong with going for brunch instead of dinner, but I'm not completely sure my kids are going to eat any of the menu

Do your kids eat pancakes? If so, I wouldn't worry. By "big apple pancake" I suspect they mean one giant pancake that's cooked in the oven. They're often called German or Dutch apple pancakes and they are ohhh so yummy. They rise more than regular pancakes so the taste is similar but they're puffier -- sort of a cross between a pancake and a cake. And the apples usually carmelize while baking....yum!

As for the fruit, I think the berries arranged on a pretty platter would be just fine!

KrisM
02-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Do your kids eat pancakes? If so, I wouldn't worry. By "big apple pancake" I suspect they mean one giant pancake that's cooked in the oven. They're often called German or Dutch apple pancakes and they are ohhh so yummy. They rise more than regular pancakes so the taste is similar but they're puffier -- sort of a cross between a pancake and a cake. And the apples usually carmelize while baking....yum!

As for the fruit, I think the berries arranged on a pretty platter would be just fine!

I hope they'll eat it. sounds good! I think the boys will, but DD is a bit particular and likes her pancakes to be about 1.5" in diameter :). But, cake is good :).

Everyone - Thanks for okaying the fruit! I'll do berries and bananas, since I expect DD will be a bit put off by the offering there, but will eat bananas and strawberries.