PDA

View Full Version : UTIs for dummies

pinkmomagain
02-06-2010, 11:03 AM
So I went to the dr on Mon. Among other things, they did a routine urine sample. Yesterday I get a call from the secy that the sample indicated bacteria and whenever I get a free moment (no rush) to come in for another sample -- could just be contamination from the lab. Well as the day went on yesterday I am noticing a constant burning sensation "down there" --not horrible, easily overlooked as a busy mom of 3 -- but definitely there and constant. By evening, I had the chills and went to bed with my robe on and several layers of blankets. This am chills gone, but still that burning.

Believe it or not, I have never had a UTI (or a yeast infection for that matter!) and I have no idea if this is one and/or how to proceed. Do I call and ask for an rx? Does more testing need to be done first? Help?

jenfromnj
02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
So I went to the dr on Mon. Among other things, they did a routine urine sample. Yesterday I get a call from the secy that the sample indicated bacteria and whenever I get a free moment (no rush) to come in for another sample -- could just be contamination from the lab. Well as the day went on yesterday I am noticing a constant burning sensation "down there" --not horrible, easily overlooked as a busy mom of 3 -- but definitely there and constant. By evening, I had the chills and went to bed with my robe on and several layers of blankets. This am chills gone, but still that burning.

Believe it or not, I have never had a UTI (or a yeast infection for that matter!) and I have no idea if this is one and/or how to proceed. Do I call and ask for an rx? Does more testing need to be done first? Help?

I would definitely call--it certainly sounds like a UTI. They should be able to give you an Rx based upon the sample and your symptoms. And if you are starting to get the chills (or low back pain, or a fever), that could possibly be a sign that it's turning into a kidney infection (speaking from personal experience), which you don't want to mess around with. Feel better!

Elilly
02-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Definitely call or go to an urgent care. Take cranberry tablets until you can get a prescription.

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm surprised they didn't do an abx prescription already. Call and get one- the sooner the better. They also make some OTC meds that numb that part of you and really helps. Drink tons and tons of water as that will flush things out too.

BEth

jillc
02-06-2010, 01:17 PM
I have had many UTIs and agree with the other posters that you should definitely call your doc to report your symptoms & they'll give you an antibiotic prescription. Or go to urgent care. Especially with your symptoms progressing to chills, etc., you can't wait this out thru the weekend. I think they start to suspect kidney infection once it has progressed to fever, chills, etc. They won't want to mess around with this.

Another thing that helps a lot is to drink tons & tons of water. Peeing a lot will help to flush everything out. Even though it hurts to pee, it will help things resolve more quickly. This has been my experience, anyway. But this is not a substitute for an antibiotic.

Indianamom2
02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
I agree with the others that you need some antibiotics ASAP.

The only time I've ever had an UTI, I didn't have the normal symptoms (burning/pain) and so it progressed to a nasty kidney infection. That was SO not fun (disgnosed in the ER 12 hours away from home, right before I was supposed to be a bridesmaid and sing for my friend's wedding). I was miserable.

Go in. It's worth the hassle this time.

Andi98989
02-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Definitely call the doctor and get some antibiotics.

The OTC stuff that will help with the pain is Uristat or Azo.
http://www.monistat.com/uristat
http://www.azoproducts.com/products/azo_standard

Also: http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/stds/uti.html#

pinkmomagain
02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks so much to all of you! I did call into the dr's answering svc and got a rx for Cipro. If I understood correctly, I'm to take for 3 days and then go in for another urine sample. Hopefully, this will knock it out. I will be sure to drink lots of water too!

Knew I could count on you ladies!

KpbS
02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Be sure to take that antibiotic (Cipro) with food as it can be hard on your stomach. :hug: