PDA

View Full Version : HA! Ikea shipping costs are laughable

maylips
02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Just tried to order an Expedit online, along with a few drawers and doors for the thing (we already have one, but now want to line the wall so we're buying another).

The total came to just over $300. The shipping costs? MORE THAN $320. HAHAHAHAH They have got to be kidding. Why in the he!! would I pay more than what the purchases are worth?!?!

Then I searched for a free shipping code just for fun to see if it works. Well, the only place you can put in a coupon code is on the same page that you enter your CC - and then you're supposed to click "Make Purchase." Um, sorry, but would like to see if my free shipping code works before I even think about finalizing my purchase. But nice try.

Now we've got to drive all the way to Atlanta darnit. And navigate that ridiculous maze. And probably spend more buying things just because they're irresistibly cheap.

Melanie
02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah, those things weigh a TON. I can't believe they'd even offer them online.

I've heard of people renting a truck to drive to other states to pick up stuff from Ikea.

DebbieJ
02-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I know. I looked up having something shipped a couple weeks ago because it was out of stock at our local store. The item was $79 and shipping was $119!

KrisM
02-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm sure you realize that shipping costs have nothing to do with how much an item costs. I could sell you 10 pounds of bricks for $2.00 and no way could I ship it for less than that. On the other hand, if you pay $400 for a laptop, would you be okay with $300 in shipping, since that is less than the item cost? Probably not :).

Those Expedits are really heavy. The 4x2 exceeds the weight limit from FedEx home and USPS delivery services. I couldn't find a limit on UPS. I expect they are coming via a freight service, which always costs more for residential delivery.

I'd just add it up and see if the total is worth it. It doesn't really matter what the item cost and what the shipping is. Is $620 for everything way too much? If so, pass. If not, fine. I know the Expedits are pretty inexpensive for what you get, IMO. I have a 4x2 and it's $69.99 w/$119 shipping. What if it was $149.99 for the Expedit and only $39 for shipping? It sounds better :)

ThreeofUs
02-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Totally OT, but I love your avatar. That has to be one of the cutest pix of the south side of a north-facing baby I've ever seen!

DietCokeLover
02-06-2010, 11:06 PM
OP, I noticed you're in NC - did you know there's an IKEA in Charlotte now? Just thought I'd mention that in case you were closer to CLT than to ATL.

maylips
02-07-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm sure you realize that shipping costs have nothing to do with how much an item costs. I could sell you 10 pounds of bricks for $2.00 and no way could I ship it for less than that. On the other hand, if you pay $400 for a laptop, would you be okay with $300 in shipping, since that is less than the item cost? Probably not :).

Those Expedits are really heavy. The 4x2 exceeds the weight limit from FedEx home and USPS delivery services. I couldn't find a limit on UPS. I expect they are coming via a freight service, which always costs more for residential delivery.

I'd just add it up and see if the total is worth it. It doesn't really matter what the item cost and what the shipping is. Is $620 for everything way too much? If so, pass. If not, fine. I know the Expedits are pretty inexpensive for what you get, IMO. I have a 4x2 and it's $69.99 w/$119 shipping. What if it was $149.99 for the Expedit and only $39 for shipping? It sounds better :)

No, I get the weight issue. It just floored me when the final amount came up. I see extra shipping charges in catalogs (Pottery Barn, for example) all the time but have never seen them double the cost of the purchase.

Totally OT, but I love your avatar. That has to be one of the cutest pix of the south side of a north-facing baby I've ever seen!

Thanks, ThreeofUs! After 3 years on this board, I finally figured out how to insert one. :)

OP, I noticed you're in NC - did you know there's an IKEA in Charlotte now? Just thought I'd mention that in case you were closer to CLT than to ATL.

Yes, I heard there was one in Charlotte. We're on the western side, so unfortunately it's easier to fight that Atlanta traffic, unless we're visiting some family over in Charlotte. But thanks.

AnnieW625
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Now we've got to drive all the way to Atlanta darnit. And navigate that ridiculous maze. And probably spend more buying things just because they're irresistibly cheap.

If you know what you want just go in the exit. We've done that a number of times and never gotten in trouble. Good luck!