PDA

View Full Version : The thing in our shed is a . . .

trales
02-06-2010, 07:30 PM
?

We know that it is small, fits under the floorboards. Judging by scat and foot prints I am guessing it to be a skunk or possum. So . . a very anticlimatic end to this adventure. Though a good ending.

The building can now come down.

elektra
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Yes, I gotta say that's a bit of a dissapointment, after the gun talk and all. ;)
But yes, a much easier situation to deal with I would imagine!

bubbaray
02-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Ewww, don't like either of those.... Yuck.

We want pictures.

egoldber
02-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Better than a bear. :)

gatorsmom
02-06-2010, 08:08 PM
?

We know that it is small, fits under the floorboards. Judging by scat and foot prints I am guessing it to be a skunk or possum. So . . a very anticlimatic end to this adventure. Though a good ending.

The building can now come down.

Wouldn't you be able to smell it if it were a skunk? I've never seen one but I can smell where they've been. Plus, the ones that have been hit on the road can be smelt for what seems like miles before we actually see the carcus (sp). :barf: what about a raccoon?

bubbaray
02-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I think if it were a skunk, it would have sprayed either the shed or the dogs by now.

fortato
02-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Possums are just like really big rats...and skunks are stinky rats.

That's disappointing and reassuring at the same time!

trales
02-06-2010, 09:18 PM
The dogs have been sprayed, but not the building. A raccoon is a good choice, but they are fairly aggressive, woodchuck maybe, possum. DH wants to borrow a friends motion camera to see what it is.

gatorsmom
02-06-2010, 09:46 PM
DH wants to borrow a friends motion camera to see what it is.

Oooh, fun! You should do that and post back to tell us what it showed! My dad has those cameras all over his hunting land/farm and we have a blast watching the videos.

ShanaMama
02-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh, I was seriously hoping for a bobcat or something. Mama bear, maybe a bit too much. But a possom or skunk? Anticlimactic, yeah.
Your life is so exciting!

billysmommy
02-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, it could have been worse!!! At least it can come down now :)

We've had skunks living under our shed when we moved here and then when we blocked it off they dug a hole in the embankment nearby. Surprisingly they really don't spray that much. In the 3 years they were here, they've only sprayed ~10 times.

A friend of ours gave us a tip and it seems to have worked. Skunks like to keep the entrances to their tunnels/dens really clean. We dropped some rotten oranges and grapefruit around the entrances we found. They'd move them away and we'd keep putting them back. We started this toward the end of the summer (they had babies so we didn't want to do anything until they were old enough to be on their own) It took about 1.5 months but they seem to have moved on. We found no more traces of them after mid-October. We'll find out for sure this spring though.

gatorsmom
02-06-2010, 11:56 PM
A friend of ours gave us a tip and it seems to have worked. Skunks like to keep the entrances to their tunnels/dens really clean. We dropped some rotten oranges and grapefruit around the entrances we found. They'd move them away and we'd keep putting them back. We started this toward the end of the summer (they had babies so we didn't want to do anything until they were old enough to be on their own) It took about 1.5 months but they seem to have moved on. We found no more traces of them after mid-October. We'll find out for sure this spring though.

Wow! The things I learn on this board never stop amazing me!!!