PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Travel with Kids...questions

alien_host
02-07-2010, 12:39 PM
We are taking two flights with DD (almost 5) this spring. This will be her first flight.

Do you prefer to sit towards the front/middle/back? Does it matter?

FWIW, I haven't been on a plane in 5 years and I haven't traveled with kids so I really have no clue! ;)

crl
02-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I always try to sit as far forward as possible, last on and first off minimizes the amount of time we're stuck on the plane.

Have a good trip!

egoldber
02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
If you don't have a connection, it doesn't really matter. It's nice to be closer to the front, but I would sacrifice that to have an aisle seat.

Seitvonzu
02-07-2010, 02:23 PM
we currently seem to be flying on southwest alot (liberal bag allowance!!!) and they have open seating -- this means you grab whatever you can when you get on the airplane. i try to sign in early to get priority boarding, but if you can't get in the first group, famililes with kids under 4 board between the first and second group-- this has happened to me everytime recently (so i've given up on trying to sign in and just board between 1st and 2nd group). we take the first row we come to that has a window and middle seat (or a whole row if daddy is with us). the last four flights i've been on , this has put us on the wing-- so the middle. apparently that's a "safer" part of the plane or a more stable ride or something, so it works well.

if we had a connection and i got to pick my seats , i'd go for as close to the front as possible (that's what i did prechildren). though, like beth, i'd go further back for an aisle seat when i was travelling solo and might still do that with an older child. mine is 23 pounds and 25 months, so we still use our carseat and that means she has to be in the window.

good luck! i've been meaning to post all weekend about our trip since i got such good advice on here-- i brought TONS of activities and all my child did was eat snacks, read and color.

wellyes
02-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Towards the front has less turbulance too. It's better but some airlines charge more for those seats. I wouldn't pay for the convenience but it's nice if it's free.

DebbieJ
02-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I like sitting towards the front.

arivecchi
02-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I love the last few rows. I get to board first and deplane last with no pressure. Close to the bathrooms and the last couple of rows are usually empty if it is not a sold out flight. Flight attendants are right there too if you need help. I always fly AA.

connor_mommy
02-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I love the last few rows. I get to board first and deplane last with no pressure. Close to the bathrooms and the last couple of rows are usually empty if it is not a sold out flight. Flight attendants are right there too if you need help. I always fly AA.

I'm that way too! I like the last couple of rows. The kids like to try and get off quickly, but this way it gives me a chance to round up everything and I just have them stretch their legs in the back area w/o having to be in the way or get run over. Plus the last time they got to see the baggage unload. That kept them busy for a while. They thought it was funny when the guys couldn't keep up with the conveyor belt and the luggage was falling over.

DebbieJ
02-07-2010, 07:03 PM
OMG I HATE sitting in the back. Too much movement for me.

hillview
02-07-2010, 07:11 PM

:yeahthat:
With kids this helps a lot. That said with a 5 year old I don't think it is what I'd do, instead I'd sit toward the front. I'd get a middle and aisle unless DD really wants to look out the window in which case I'd do Window and middle. Bring a bunch of stuff (extra toys and food). Also I put DS in a pull up JUST IN CASE the pilot cannot let us up. He tends to drink more on planes to help with the pressure. Expect to have water or juice or something to drink to pressurize the ears and maybe a snack on take off and landing.
/hillary

arivecchi
02-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I've never felt more movement in the back. I used to fly in the front a lot before kiddos. Is that in small planes?

bluestar2
02-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I like sitting as close to the front as possible, with the child at the window seat. Because we don't have to deal with car seats, I like to get on late and off as quickly as possible.

sewarsh
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM

EXACTLY!! I fly a couple times a year with kids and ALWAYS pick last rows.

kbud
02-08-2010, 12:28 AM
I've never felt more movement in the back. I used to fly in the front a lot before kiddos. Is that in small planes?

I prefer the last few rows as well for the reasons the others say. It also allows my kids to get up and move a bit w/out bothering others. They are very friendly and love talking to people as they go to the lav and chat w/the flight attendants.

I'm a former flight attendant and my dh currently works in pilot training of an airline. It's true that the roughest ride is in the very back. I found it most true on the 757. It's long and skinny. It's not smaller that this is true in but overall a smaller plane will feel more turbulence. The smoother place is over the wings. The further away you get from the wings forward or back you'll feel more turbulence. The wings are like the axis of the plane or the center of gravity.

egoldber
02-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I don't liek the back mainly because it feels very clautrophobic to me. People are always standing up right over top of you as they wait in line for the lav, the constant back and forth of the FAs, etc. The seats are often smaller and more squashed together too.

We often sit over the wings and I prefer that in general.

arivecchi
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM
An added benefit of sitting in the back is that since I am usually the last one out with the kids, the FAs carry my car seat. :)

bluestar2
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't liek the back mainly because it feels very clautrophobic to me. People are always standing up right over top of you as they wait in line for the lav, the constant back and forth of the FAs, etc. The seats are often smaller and more squashed together too.

:yeahthat: I also feel claustrophobic and hate having people hovering right next to me when I am in the aisle seat, and I dislike being in the very last row where the seats can't be reclined.

alien_host
02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting seats around the middle of the plane as the front was sold out and I don't think I want to be "in the way back".

tmarie
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I like sitting up front. Honestly, I don't think my dds would care. I just hate hauling all of our stuff any further than we need to, and I like being able to be one of the first to get off the plane, as opposed to waiting in the back for everyone in front of you (that is always the hardest for dd--she gets impatient!).

tmarie

mtnsnow
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I always try to sit as far forward as possible, last on and first off minimizes the amount of time we're stuck on the plane.

Have a good trip!

:yeahthat:

Worked for us.

If you can't do it that way, if you are travelling with another person, have one go on with all the stuff and get it put away etc, then you get on at the LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE with the kid(s). There will still be plenty of time for them to get acclimated to the surroundings etc.

We had to do it that way once. Worked pretty well.