PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to ship furniture?

Aishe
02-07-2010, 05:31 PM
My dad is retiring, and he has generously offered to give us most of the very nice furniture from his office. We live in another state so I'm trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to ship the furniture. We are not in a hurry to get it so I'm thinking one of those companies that transports large items when they have enough to fill a truck would work. (That was totally inarticulate. Does anybody know what I mean?) Any company recommendations or advice for the best way to do this? I obviously have no experience with this kind of situation, and I'm not even sure what search terms to google.

alirebco
02-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Uship? My sister used it for their last move and my brother has used it for smaller items.

newg
02-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Navis Pack and Ship............

not sure what part of the country you live in........but here in Ohio my dad owns a franchise and shipping furniture is the "heart" of their business...........they can usually be pretty flexible about how they get it to you too, depending on how quickly you need it.

LMPC
02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
I have used the kind of thing that you are talking about....it's where they drop off a truck trailer for the night...you fill it with your stuff....and then they come get it the next day. I have used...crap the name is escaping me....CSA? CFA? You see their trucks all over the road...will try and track down the real name. I liked them...having said that, I wasn't shipping anything very valuable (just some furniture ...no glass or antiques). I remember it being reasonably priced.

Also, what about PODS or something similar?

Off to find name....

LMPC
02-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Alright....it was ABF (jeez, I was waaay off base with the name!!). Here's the website
www.upack.com

edurnemk
02-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Alright....it was ABF (jeez, I was waaay off base with the name!!). Here's the website
www.upack.com

We've used ABF upack and were very happy with their service. Since they separate your stuff from others' and you can even put a lock on the divider, there's much less chance of your things getting lost. We put our thing in the trailer on Friday, and it arrived in Houston on Tuesday. They also have small containers like PODS, but more affordable prices.