PDA

View Full Version : We were just plowed out by....

HIU8
02-07-2010, 08:42 PM
A CAT construction vehicle. It had a scooper on the end, not a blade, but hey, it's better than nothing. We can at least now get out of the driveway. After shoveling yesterday for 4 hours and today for 2 (yes, I did all the shoveling. DH is not well and there is no way he could have done it) my muscles ache really bad. Anyone with a good remedy other than a bathtub (I cannot sit in a tub of water. I've never been able to--due to a phobia I've always had.

Of course school was on tomorrow (preschool) until they got enough calls from teachers and subs without power and who have yet to be plowed out.

vejemom
02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
WOOOO WHOOOO! I just posted in the Snow Pix thread about how one of the neighborhood guys plowed us out with his 1970's John Deere. Snow chains and a blade. We sent him over to our neighbors, and I just gave his number to the people backing up to us. I paid him an obscene amount of money to do it, but 32.5 inches of snow, a 1/4 of a mile driveway, and a toddler that may have H1N1 = totally worth it. DH is still so disappointed that our little tractor is useless for plowing and that he has it stand back and let the pros do it!

LarsMal
02-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Hot hot shower and Advil or Motrin...I should take my own advice!

HIU8
02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
The landscaper that lives on our street wanted $120 to do our driveway. Not worth it as our driveway is normal length and flat and all concrete, oh, and only one car width.

MamaKath
02-07-2010, 10:46 PM
The landscaper that lives on our street wanted $120 to do our driveway. Not worth it as our driveway is normal length and flat and all concrete, oh, and only one car width.
Ouch!!! That is steep!!! We had someone come by and do ours (long single lane) super cheap. DH is away so I just figured I was staying put until it melts, lol. For $120 I would be happily staying put!!! Just walkways and digging around the car had me hurting.

Hot shower, advil, biofreeze and time. I even switched all my stuff in my purse to a backpack to make it easier on me if I have to go out, lol.

Cam&Clay
02-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Just looked out my front door (10 pm) and there's a bulldozer digging our street out. It's dumping huge piles of snow from the street into our yards. The piles are so high I can barely see the house across the street now. These piles won't melt until June...

I'm happy that they are digging us out so soon, but I have to laugh that it's a bulldozer and not a plow! But then again, the bulldozer is doing a much better job of moving the snow out of the way.

HIU8
02-07-2010, 11:13 PM
The bulldozer that did our street dumped the snow accross the street and in the neighbors yard. Every 2 houses has the enormous mound of snow wall. At least it's out of the street. It's like a ski slope towards the neighbors house.

JBaxter
02-07-2010, 11:14 PM
like one of these?

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/jeanaspictures/Feb10024.jpg

rlu
02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Maybe a hot rice sock would help?

DS would have loved to see that, and Jeana's pic too. No snow here, keep warm and safe you all.

HIU8
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Yup that is what dug us out. I saw it go across the street (my street is cut in 1/2 by the main road in the neighborhood) at 9 am yesterday. I didn't see it again until 5 pm on my side of the street. The poor person who was operating it worked all day to clear one end of the street and into the night to clear the end I live on. We are not down to pavement by any means, but we can drive on it.

Also FWIW, the main road in the neighborhood is clear and dry (there is a school 1 block from me). No sidewalks cleared at all. The main road outside the neighborhood (3 lanes in both directions) is FAR from clear. It's packed slush and ice and you cannot see blacktop at all. Weird b/c usually that road is cleared completely first and then they move onto the neighborhood streets.

jenfromnj
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Hot shower, advil, biofreeze and time.

I second this, maybe also a heating pad if you have one.

With the ever-escalating snow totals predicted for my area for Tuesday/Wednesday, I fear that we might be seeing similar sights here in the next few days (though I desperately hope not!).

HIU8
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Well, since DH cannot do any of the shoveling, I may be paying the guy who lives behind us with the snowblower, for the use of it. I'm not paying $120 to have my driveway plowed. I would have paid up to $60-$75. I know this guy has to earn a living in the winter, but it's not in the budget to spend that much on snow removal this year.