PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 time show

bubbaray
02-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow. The Who look really old.

chozen
02-07-2010, 09:04 PM
i think they are in there lats 50's early 60's arent they. boy i remember listening to them alot back in my party days.:jammin:

newg
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
they sound old too.....................

Cam&Clay
02-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Just texted DH the same thing. They really look and sound old. I've never been fans, but whoa...

BabyMine
02-07-2010, 09:09 PM
It all went downhill after Janet.

tnrnchick74
02-07-2010, 09:11 PM
REALLY old...like they need to turn up their hearing aids...

Melbel
02-07-2010, 09:16 PM
DD1 (my 8 year old) just said "WHO says old people can't rock?"

DrSally
02-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow. The Who look really old.

That's what I was thinking.

tamie
02-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Lip synching was way off in a lot of cases as well! The harmonica part was funny!

kdeunc
02-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought they sounded really old. I think if you have reached "legend" status you should know when to hang it up! :)

lchang25000
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Never even heard of them...

LarsMal
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Springsteen sliding across the stage and hitting the camera with his crotch was way more entertaining last year! ;)

wendmatt
02-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Roger Daltrey is 65, so they are getting on a bit! I thought he was about the same age as my mum, wierd to think of someone her age rocking up on stage!

KrisM
02-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Okay, now I feel really old! I can't imagine not knowing The Who.

lchang25000
02-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Okay, now I feel really old! I can't imagine not knowing The Who.

Sorry...didn't mean to make anyone feel old. DH has heard of them though and was surprised when I told him I've never heard of them.

Piglet
02-07-2010, 10:27 PM
They are DH's favourite band and we saw them in concert a few years ago. They looked pretty old then, and look even older now, but the songs are still great!

shawnandangel
02-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Well, the voice of dissent here. I enjoyed the half time show. I thought it was great to hear some old favorites of mine. DD enjoyed it too. She was dancing along.

I think if you're 65 and can still get on a stage and rock it out, more power to ya! I'm a mother of one still in her 20's and I don't think I would have the energy to do it.

daisymommy
02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I actually had to look it up online to see who they were (I missed the announcement when I was putting Andrew in bed). But anyway, I was bored with it.

pinkmomagain
02-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Oy! Some of the posts are making me feel ancient, but really, The Who is classic rock. Great music. I enjoyed the show.

ILoveLucy
02-07-2010, 11:10 PM
The Who sounded and looked great. Rock music is partly about rebellion--what is more rebellious than rocking like that at their ages?

SnuggleBuggles
02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I thought the lights were fabulous! I was really enjoying that part.

I knew of the Who b/c my brother is 11y older and a music buff. I remember Who posters on his wall when I was little. Then in high school our marching band field show was based on Tommy.

Beth

KrisM
02-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Sorry...didn't mean to make anyone feel old. DH has heard of them though and was surprised when I told him I've never heard of them.

No problem. To me, they're classic rock, and it seems like most would know of them. I also assume people know The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and a few others. People my age do :).

bubbaray
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
How's this to make you feel old. The drummer for The Who is Ringo Starr (drummer for the Beatles for you young uns)'s son.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_Starkey

KrisM
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
How's this to make you feel old. The drummer for The Who is Ringo Starr (drummer for the Beatles for you young uns)'s son.

Interesting. Did not know that.

TwinFoxes
02-07-2010, 11:59 PM
I actually thought they sounded good, and I'm not a fan at all! Roger Daltrey looks good for a senior citizen.

I'm surprised too that someone hasn't heard of The Who. Do you listen to rock (as oppose to, say, Hip Hop?) It's like never having heard of the Rolling Stones. Not harshing on you, I'm just genuinely surprised. But if rock isn't your thing it's more understandable. I bet young rock fans probably don't know who Earth Wind and Fire are!

hellokitty
02-08-2010, 12:07 AM

LMAO, that is exactly what DH and I thought too. What's so funny is that we had another couple over for the superbowl with janet jackson and when she did her thing, our guy friend was so busy eating a chicken wing, he missed the whole thing. It was so funny, b/c the 3 of us who saw it were like, "Omg, can you belive that?" He was like, "What, what happened, did I miss something good?"

jenfromnj
02-08-2010, 12:12 AM

We were saying this, too--DH is convinced that there will exclusively men over 50 in the halftime show for the foreseeable future.

I also thought they didn't sound the best, and the lip synching/fake guitar playing was really bad in some spots. They are amazing musicians, it's a shame to see them as anything less, which I thought they were tonight.

chozen
02-08-2010, 12:50 PM

i did not know that was ringo's son.

wendibird22
02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Well, the voice of dissent here. I enjoyed the half time show. I thought it was great to hear some old favorites of mine. DD enjoyed it too. She was dancing along.

I think if you're 65 and can still get on a stage and rock it out, more power to ya! I'm a mother of one still in her 20's and I don't think I would have the energy to do it.
:yeahthat:

DH and I enjoyed it. I was singing along especially to the songs from Tommy which I love.

wellyes
02-08-2010, 12:59 PM
The drummer DID look young compared to the others - though well older than me LOL. Given the ages and relative debauchery of 70s rock acts I assume the original drummer is no longer with us?

I'd heard of The Who & I did recognize some of the songs, but got a dirty look at the Superbowl party when I asked if they were the Stairway to Heaven band. Apparently they are not.

It all went downhill after Janet

Prince was pretty good. And I do think it's not fair that Janet gets blamed and not JT!

arivecchi
02-08-2010, 01:00 PM
It was a total snoozefest. :sleep:

egoldber
02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I grew up outside Cincinnati at the time of the Who concert tragedy at Riverfront Coliseum. That's the first thing I always think of when I hear them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who#Cincinnati_tragedy

TwinFoxes
02-08-2010, 01:14 PM
The drummer DID look young compared to the others - though well older than me LOL. Given the ages and relative debauchery of 70s rock acts I assume the original drummer is no longer with us?

Quite the understatement. When people talk about rock stars out of control, trashing hotel rooms etc, and drinking and drugging themselves into oblivion, they're pretty much talking about Keith Moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_moon

I actually think the Wiki article took it kind of easy on him. He was a mess.

lizzywednesday
02-08-2010, 01:50 PM

I'd heard of The Who & I did recognize some of the songs, but got a dirty look at the Superbowl party when I asked if they were the Stairway to Heaven band. Apparently they are not.

No, that would be Led Zeppelin, whose fans celebrated the band's 40th anniversary all last year. (And many of them eagerly anticipate a reunion tour sometime in the next few years, if Plant can get his head out of his butt and Page can commit ... and they can book Bonzo's son, Jason, on drums.)

IMO, the only one who looked like he was totally into it was Pete; not like the Mick Jagger strut out on stage and the years melt away (or even Bruce crowd surfing), but definitely having a grand old time.

What I was most disappointed about was the wide shots during the opening of 'Pinball Wizard' because I didn't get to see Pete's "trademark" guitar windmill. I was looking forward to those all week!!! (Stupid director.)

Ceepa
02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
The Super Bowl producers need to move away from the aging classic rock acts.

ECMom
02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Springsteen sliding across the stage and hitting the camera with his crotch was way more entertaining last year! ;)

I thought his jeans were going to split during that performance. However, he has lost a lot of weight since then & is looking good again. I recently saw a picture of him shirtless at the beach in People.

ECMom
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Are you in your 20's :)? If you watch any of the CSI shows, you've heard their songs. They all open with them.

ECMom
02-08-2010, 03:01 PM

I argree, and I grew up listening to these bands!

lizzywednesday
02-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Yeah, but they won't be causing any "wardrobe malfunctions" ...

lizzywednesday
02-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I thought his jeans were going to split during that performance. However, he has lost a lot of weight since then & is looking good again. I recently saw a picture of him shirtless at the beach in People.

I saw him crowd surfing in October.

On stage, the man doesn't look a day over 30.

And he's still got the finest a$$ in rock and roll.

Ceepa
02-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, but they won't be causing any "wardrobe malfunctions" ...

Now there's something we all hope never happens.

lizzywednesday
02-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Now there's something we all hope never happens.

LOL

Pete's fishbelly was about all I could take!

rlu
02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
LOL

Pete's fishbelly was about all I could take!

Amen! Unimpressed. I have heard of the band, but since I listened to country music until Grease came out, they were really before my time. I thought the second song they sang was a U2 song for some reason.

Piglet
02-08-2010, 04:09 PM
No way!! I don't watch football, but tuned in just to see The Who! I guess there is no pleasing everyone ;)

PAfirsttimemom
02-08-2010, 04:49 PM
I loved it. Classic. My 17-month-old son and I were rockin' out together.

I do think, though, that the producers might want to take a cue from the Grammy's and consider pairing older, classic acts with younger up-and-comers for more widespread appeal. (I'm thinking of the Stevie Nicks and Taylor Swift pairing from this year, but there are many more examples, I'm sure.) I love seeing different acts performing the songs of other greats.

Fairy
02-08-2010, 04:57 PM

What now?......

Fairy
02-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I actually had to look it up online to see who they were (I missed the announcement when I was putting Andrew in bed). But anyway, I was bored with it.

Oh. Mygod. Ok, I'm officially old. :sulkoff:

Fairy
02-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Didn't watch it, but I did hear it, and I thought they sounded great. And hit all the notes! Which is more than I can say for the normally pitch perfect Carrie Underwood's National Anthem (which was heinous). Latifah was awesome. Carrie not so much. I wonder if it was the monitor in her ear, cuz La took hers out not four bars into America the Beautiful.

MamaSnoo
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
DH is a fan of all things classic rock, including the Who.He even thought they looked old. We were just glad they did not have a wardrobe malfunction! DD loved it and was dancing around trying to escape her bath.

Ceepa
02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Didn't watch it, but I did hear it, and I thought they sounded great. And hit all the notes! Which is more than I can say for the normally pitch perfect Carrie Underwood's National Anthem (which was heinous). Latifah was awesome. Carrie not so much. I wonder if it was the monitor in her ear, cuz La took hers out not four bars into America the Beautiful.

I cringed at Carrie's last note.

Fairy
02-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I cringed at Carrie's last note.

Yeah, that was the worst one, no question.

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah, that was the worst one, no question.

Yeah, but at least she was singing! Did you see the end of Queen Latifah's song how she pulled the mic away and was smiling but the note was still going? Yeah. Bad lip synching. So, Carrie's bad note where at least she was singing work better for me. :)
Beth

Fairy
02-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but at least she was singing! Did you see the end of Queen Latifah's song how she pulled the mic away and was smiling but the note was still going? Yeah. Bad lip synching. So, Carrie's bad note where at least she was singing work better for me. :)
Beth

Hmm. I missed the lip synching. That's not cool. Will check that out on youtube.

lizzywednesday
02-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Carrie doesn't have the range to do the Anthem.

Her sound was all on her back teeth, the tone was all in her chest when it should've been in her head and at the highest points, she belted (which made her push down), so OF COURSE she finished flat.

Unsupported and out of range ... at least she sang "o'er" and not "for" as I heard some country music chickadee sing before a NASCAR race. It was painfully bad. Not Roseanne Barr-bad, but painfully bad all the same.

BTW, for the pairing of classic acts with up-and-comers that a PP mentioned, I'd love to see the Def Leppard/Taylor Swift show next year. (Taylor Swift is adorable and I <3 Def Leppard!!!)

Sorry, but keep Stevie Nicks and her vocal polyps FAR away from me!!!!!!!

ncat
02-08-2010, 08:06 PM
The guy without his shirt tucked in had repeated wardrobe malfunctions!
It was painful for me to watch.
But DS was dancing and having a great time.

wendmatt
02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I thought you were joking when you said you hadn't heard of the Who!! Now I feel old!

TwinFoxes
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
at least she sang "o'er" and not "for" as I heard some country music chickadee sing before a NASCAR race. It was painfully bad. Not Roseanne Barr-bad, but painfully bad all the same.

If you've only heard one singer say "for" instead of "o'er" count yourself lucky! Total pet peeve of mine. I can't sing the anthem, but at least I know the frickin' words!