PDA

View Full Version : First Time Mom Lightweight Stroller Advice

bosco2010
02-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide on the most appropriate stroller to buy for an infant and continue to use as the child gets older. I really want to avoid having to buy more than one stroller if I can. :ROTFLMAO:

I live in PA in the suburbs and plan to use the stroller for trips to the mall and stores, walks around my neighborhood, and walks in a local park with concrete paths. I plan to walk 3 or 4 miles while the weather is warm so the first four months or so after the baby is born. Most importantly I would like something lightweight and easy to take in and out of my car. Also, I plan to buy a Graco SnugRide 32 infant car seat and would like to possibly use the stroller as a travel system at first.

So I think I have narrowed it down to these few options:
1. The Baby Jogger City Mini and buy the car seat adapter
2. The Graco Metrolite
3. Maclaren Techno XLR (or possibly another Maclaren??)
4. One of the car seat stroller frames either Graco SnugRide or Maclaren Easy Traveler and then buy the Chicco C6 or something comparable (Maclaren Volvo)

All advice and suggestions is greatly appreciated. Is there a better stroller you would recommend for my needs? If you had to do it again, what would you buy? I really would like to try to make the right decision from the start!

Thanks!

purpelina
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
A couple of questions: you want one stroller because:
- you have limited storage
- you have limited funds
- you don't like having 2 or 3 of the same thing (ie - stroller)
- something else?

In any case, please consider this:
it's possible to have just one stroller that will grow with your child and do everything you mentioned. Drawback: it will be either one that performs great at couple of activities, and significantly underperforms in other areas (but is still suitable and fully functional). Say, Bob revolution is great for walking, takes an infant seat, carrier a big child, but it takes a lot of trunk space, is big in a small store etc.

You can also choose a stroller that will be acceptable in all situations, but not perfect (say, graco metrolite, it's not too huge, but not very small either, it goes well on bad terrain, but certainly worse than a stroller with air tires, it accommodates children up to 3 years or so, but is hard to push when a heavy child is siting in it etc).

In this regard, please think if there is a specific area/usage, where you'd need your stroller to be outstanding (say, you can't live without long walks!), or if there really aren't any that outweigh significantly. Then review your list.

And another thing, it's an inconvenient truth :) but seldom you can get by with only one stroller. The minimum is two, so it seems. However, it doesn't mean that you have to keep both stroller (or 3 or more strollers) at the same time. You can buy one that fits your needs, and when baby grows, your needs change, sell it and get another one.

For example, a mac volo is amazing lightweight stroller, but don't plan on using it before 12 mo, or better yet 18 month. Even though you theoretically can put a younger baby in it, and say a 6 mo can safely ride in a volo, question is, for how long? For half an hour of quick errands - yes, for a full day out? no. My daughter would slouch and look uncomfortable in a volo when she was 16 month (she is 75%, not too tiny).

Also, planning too far ahead is hard with babies, because you have no way of knowing when they start walking, will they like being in a stroller or not, will they like carrier, that you can use instead of a stroller early on...

From your list, and especially if you are on a budget, I would recommend getting graco metrolite (I had it and I liked it) - you can use it with car seat (no need for an adaptor), you can use it from day 1 as a stroller, it has decent wheels for off-roading/walking, great storage.

Later on (maybe when your baby is 6-12 month) you can start looking into maclarens. There's quest, or triumph, or a volo (but wait with a volo till probably 18 or 24 month...

baby jogger is another very good option, and can truly be your one and only stroller. Easy for in and out of the car, fits small babies and bigger toddlers etc. Drawbacks: it's very tippy when car seat is attached to it, and it doesn't do all that well in snow and off road.

Mac xlr is very good stroller, versatile and do-it-all type, but it's a bit too big/tall. And I also felt I wanted something smaller and lighter, when my daughter grew. It also takes quite a lot of space in the trunk. The fold is umbrella fold, but it's kind of a triangle, were the base is almost the width of a folded graco, and it's also very long. You'll fit it well in an suv though.

Car seat frame and a volo is a good combo, but not very well suited for off roading and lots of walking. Also, depending on how your baby likes (or desn't like) the car seat, you might look into quest insetead of volo. My youngest hated her infant seat, and we put her into a convertible when she was 4 month. So I sold my frame.

Hope I didn't confuse you with all the options :)

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Because of your planned uses, I'd lean towards the BJCM. I have been happy with my Metrolite. I bought it years ago, before the BJCM. As much as I wanted to upgrade to a new stroller with ds2 and the BJCM was my top contender, it was too similar thus a silly purchase. :)

I only had one stroller with ds1 and did fine. This time I leave the Metrolite on my porch for walks or to put in the car for days when we plan to be out a long time with the stroller. Otherwise I have a Volo that I keep in my trunk.

Beth

goldenpig
02-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I have a Metrolite (bought as a travel system with the Snugride from BRU) and it was fine, but a little bulky when folded. I just bought a new stroller to replace my Metrolite (it's pink and we're having a boy now) and I got the Peg Perego Si. It's about the same weight (16 lb), but has so many better features (bigger canopy, suspension wheels, extendable legrest, easy & more compact umbrella fold, stands upright when folded) than the Metrolite and it also takes an infant carseat like the Snugride without having to buy an extra carseat adapter (the 2010 version has a bumper bar to help hold the carseat in place and the straps come with the stroller). And it doesn't tip with a diaper bag hanging off the back like the Metrolite does! (Maclarens are supposedly very tippy too). If it had been available a couple years ago I would totally have gotten it over the Metrolite (assuming I knew about strollers and this board, which I didn't then). I got mine through diapers.com with price matching/coupon codes and ebates etc. for about $200 (normally $249), so it's comparable to the BJCM in terms of price. If I was only going to get one stroller (if you don't need a full jogging stroller), it would be the Si because it's lightweight and has the slim umbrella fold, but a lot of the nicer features of full size strollers.

purpelina
02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Another stroller came to mind:

a great do-it-all and then some is inglesina zippy. Not too heavy, compact fold (stands on its own), great steering, not a real off-roader, but still handles all terrain. Grows with your child definitely. Great canopy. Love the colors. There's even a bassinet attachment, but it makes the package too expensive, and you can use this with a car seat without an extra adapter.

It's about 350new, but you can get a better deal on last years models or on Craigslist.

arivecchi
02-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm a huge fan of the 2 stroller theory: one lightweight and one air tire one, but is you really want to stick to one, I'd get the Mac Techno. Best quality out of the ones you mention and can be used from birth to 5-6 years old if you wanted to use it that long. Good for travel as well.

GraceH
02-09-2010, 01:44 AM
I would do a Graco Mosaic (~$110, LOVE mine as a budget choice, has been my only stroller besides the bike trailer combo) or Peg Perego Si (~$250, great props around here, similar umbrella styling) for a trunk-dwelling errand stroller with carseat abilities (no need for a frame)
and pair it with an AT of some variety (BOB, Tech Tike, for instance) for longer outdoor walks and park visits if you're committed to doing them (is this something you do now or just have good intentions of starting? NO offense intended, but some soon-to-be-parents think they're going to start walks and park visits, buy a $$$ stroller, and then don't use it)

bosco2010
02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=purpelina;2621560]A couple of questions: you want one stroller because:
- you have limited storage
- you have limited funds
- you don't like having 2 or 3 of the same thing (ie - stroller)
- something else?

:thumbsup:

I guess I was hoping to try to limit the number of strollers I needed because I don't really want 2 or 3 of the same thing and have limited funds. I was hoping to get away with just one. As a first time mom, maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I would rather get a great stroller from the beginning then getting 3 or 4 strollers over time. I really don't need a hardcore jogging strollers, just something that is great to use in the mall, but also for walks on paved paths when the weather is nice. I live in PA, so this only for about half of the year.

I think right now I am looking for::cheerleader1:
1. a great lightweight stroller (under 18 lbs max)
2. compact for the car
3. will work with a Graco SnugRide Infant car seat
4. manageable for outside walks on paved paths/sidewalks

I just do not know which stroller would meet these needs.

lareigna
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide on the most appropriate stroller to buy for an infant and continue to use as the child gets older. I really want to avoid having to buy more than one stroller if I can. :ROTFLMAO:

I live in PA in the suburbs and plan to use the stroller for trips to the mall and stores, walks around my neighborhood, and walks in a local park with concrete paths. I plan to walk 3 or 4 miles while the weather is warm so the first four months or so after the baby is born. Most importantly I would like something lightweight and easy to take in and out of my car. Also, I plan to buy a Graco SnugRide 32 infant car seat and would like to possibly use the stroller as a travel system at first.

2. The Graco Metrolite
4. One of the car seat stroller frames either Graco SnugRide or Maclaren Easy Traveler and then buy the Chicco C6 or something comparable (Maclaren Volvo)

All advice and suggestions is greatly appreciated. Is there a better stroller you would recommend for my needs? If you had to do it again, what would you buy? I really would like to try to make the right decision from the start!

Thanks!

The XLR would last you from infant to toddler with a fifty pound weight limit, compact fold, great push and quality. It's wheels are larger than other Mac's making it a bit smoother ride. If your walks entail sidewalks and not grass, I would definitely say the XLR for outdoors as well. It also is the only Mac that takes a carseat and I'm pretty sure you don't need to buy a carseat adapter with it. I have two friends that swear by there XLR's and use them as their one and only stroller through several kids.

Personally, I'm a multi-stroller gal, I have a BJCC for rougher terrain, and a Bee as a car/lightweight stroller, I used to have a BJCM and a Kolcraft Contours, but I sold those. My most recent purchase was an 07 Inglesina Zippy that I scored off of CL for $30. I plan on using that as my hubby's car stroller/grandpa's house/travel/airplane stroller. As a new mommy myself, and a serial mind changer, I would suggest buying something that is going to have some resale value just in case you do change your mind and you want to get something else. Mac's and BJ's have great resale value. If you want a cheapy stroller to try out then don't buy the Graco new- Go on on CL they are practically giving them away.

arivecchi
02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
IMO, the Mac Techno meets your requirements.

http://www.google.com/products?q=maclaren+techno+xlr&hl=en

lareigna
02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Have you considered the Micralite Toro? There is also a poster in here that has a Bumbleride Indie and she gives it raves. Either one might serve as an AT and lightweight.

AnnieW625
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
2. The Graco Metrolite

Thanks!

1. BJCM is a nice stroller, but I think there are some better options out there in terms of lightweight strollers. If it was the only lightweight on the market I'd have no problems buying it. I have seen it in action on non smooth surfaces and the front wheel wiggles like there is no tomorrow.
2. I have friends who have really enjoyed their Metrolites and used them for more than one child. The basket is huge!
3. My friend has a Maclaren Techno XLR (2007 model, first year they were out; bought in May, 2007) and while she does like it she ended up not using the car seat adaptor as much as she thought she would. I :heartbeat: my Maclaren Triumph! It's been our pretty much do everything stroller since DD was 3 mos. old (and had good head control). Both DH and I work full time so DD has spent much of her time at daycare, but the stroller is great for travel, trips to the mall, themeparks, and public transportation (we've used it in LA, and Boston). Now with all of that said I wish I would've bit the bullet and bought the Techno XT from the begininning. It's got everything you want including a full recline for the baby, and only Maclaren with the awesome foldable sun shade.
4. We didn't have a stroller frame, but if I had to pick one I'd go with the Maclaren Easy Traveller based on my love for Maclaren.

I also agree with others that if you want to do any kind of exercise or fast walking something with air tires or pseudo air tires is a great find. We would've been lost without our Dreamer Design air tire jogger (DD is no longer in business so I can't recommend them:() but I have friends who have the following strollers and love them: Bob Ironman, Bob Revolution, Baby Jogger City Elite (Summitt, or Fit are also available and can be used for running; the CE isn't), Uppa Baby Vista, Micralite (heard wonderful things about this line of strollers!), Valco, and Bumbleride. Also the Bugaboo still gets really favorable reviews, but in my honest opinion you don't need to spend that much money on a stroller!