PDA

View Full Version : SafeSeat questions

mama2g03
02-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I can't seem to find out what kind of base the SafeSeat uses. I am looking at the SafeSeat (Step 1) that is on sale at AlbeeBaby. Does it use the same base as a Snugride 32/35 or a regular Snugride or does it have it's own special base? I already bought a regular Snugride at the BRU trade-in but after tax the SafeSeat is only $9 more. I'm not crazy about the colors of the SafeSeat but if it is a better seat I can get over that.

Is the SafeSeat going to take up a lot more space in the car than a regular Snugride? I will have a Mazda CX-9 for about 6 months until my lease is up so I will have to fit the infant seat and DD in either a Radian or Nautilus in the second row next to each other so DS can still get in the third row in his booster. I imagine it would fit best with the infant behind the driver's seat and DD in the middle of the second row, but I am very tall and have the driver's seat all the way back so want to make sure the infant seat will fit ok. Sorry this is kind of long and rambling. I just want to be done with car seat shopping.

AshleyAnn
02-08-2010, 02:18 PM
The safeseat uses the same base as the higher weight limit snugrides - its the same seat different name. It does take up more space but not a whole lot more (~5 inches front to back with the base and around ~3 inches without it) It fits in my Kia Sorento with the drivers seat back. I think the sorento and the cx-9 are similar in size. Your BRU should have one in stock you could try in your car before you take the smaller seat back.

I considered replacing my SS1 with a SR22 after DH crashed his car but decided to get another SS1 because I felt like the EPS foam was important and the SR22 I was considering didn't have it and I like the ease of install with the lock off - I can install my seat in under 30 seconds. But it is bulky to carry and a bit difficult to lift up into the base as DD gains weight (she's 11 lbs at 11 weeks and the seat itself weights 10 lbs so I'm lifting 20+ lbs into the base which is chest high in my truck. The SR22 weights under 7lbs)

jackyl08
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
The PP is correct. The current Snugride32/35 bases work for the Safeseat. I have a 32 base for my Safeseat. My seats fits with room to spare in my Ford Escape. I am 5'9" and can drive comfortably with it behind me. The ease of install on the Safeseat is so nice, too. Takes me about 2 minutes.