PDA

View Full Version : Snugride and Marathon placement question

mm123
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I did a search, and couldn't find my answer.

I currently drive a Corolla, with DD (21 months) in a Marathon behind the passenger seat. We're expecting DC#2 in a few weeks, and I'm going to take the car in to get the snugride base properly installed.

Is there a particular configuration that is preferable or more safe? I've seen some Snugrides in the middle, next to a convertible, and I've seen others with Snugride on passenger side and Marathon on driver's side, or vice versa.

Is it just a personal preference, or would one arrangement work better/safer than another?

Thanks!

HIU8
02-08-2010, 01:59 PM
is the MA RF or FF. In a corolla I think I would put each outboard actually. If the MA is FF and you can fit it, do the MA in the center and the snugride outboard (least protected child in the most protected spot--hence FF in the center). If it fits at all, the snugride base will have to be installed with the seatbelt (gives a little more room than a LATCH install). However, I'm not completely sure a snugride and a MA can puzzle next to one another well.

WatchingThemGrow
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I would not put a 20something month old that close to a newborn. Done it, won't do it again. RF or FF. Too grabby, poky, etc. I like the baby behind the driver's seat, so if I need to stop and care for the baby quickly, I can just roll down the window, do whatever, hop back in my seat.

MontrealMum
02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I have had a RFing MA in the middle and a Snugride behind the passenger in my Corolla. They both fit, but the passenger seat had to be pulled up quite a bit. I don't have lots of BTDT other than being able to say that they *do* fit, as I only did that a few times to drive a friend and her baby (who was in the SN). Since it was a temporary thing, we just kept DS' and his MA where they normally are, in the middle. ETA: this was the smaller SN, if that matters.

citymama
02-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I would not put a 20something month old that close to a newborn. Done it, won't do it again. RF or FF. Too grabby, poky, etc. I like the baby behind the driver's seat, so if I need to stop and care for the baby quickly, I can just roll down the window, do whatever, hop back in my seat.

What about 4 yr old and newborn? We'll be doing the same (Marathon FF and Snugride RF) with our two in our Saturn. I'm assuming infant in the center and DD where she is (behind passenger's seat) but is that too close for comfort?

MoJo
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Just wanted to say I'm in the exact same "wondering" stage with the same two seats (2-yr-old Snugride) in our Sonata and Civic. In my case, the MA is RF with an almost-2-year-old.

I'd prefer to leave her RF, but if I can't get the two seats side-by-side, then we'll have to turn her around because neither of us can safely drive the car with either seat RF behind the driver. (And she's a tall girl, from what I can tell, the other seats on the market that would give us more room front-to-back would also be outgrown.)

Also, DH says it's important for me to ride back there whenever possible, which certainly won't be possible if one isn't in the middle. Oh, and he says he can't get DD into the middle (at least RF) without bumping her head on the door frame, so she has to stay outboard.

jackyl08
02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
For those with a FF child and a RF child, the FF should go in the middle, as they are the least protected. Even thoughthe newborn is smaller, they are still better protected by being rf. If you can get them side by side, it would be easier for an adult to sit in the back, of course.

citymama
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
For those with a FF child and a RF child, the FF should go in the middle, as they are the least protected. Even thoughthe newborn is smaller, they are still better protected by being rf. If you can get them side by side, it would be easier for an adult to sit in the back, of course.

Unfortunately, our Marathon doesn't fit in the middle seat of our 2001 Saturn LS. So I assume the baby would be in the middle.

jackyl08
02-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Unfortunately, our Marathon doesn't fit in the middle seat of our 2001 Saturn LS. So I assume the baby would be in the middle.

Yes, if the Snugride will fit next to the Marathon, then I would put it in the middle. :)