PDA

View Full Version : Dining Room Chairs

Piglet
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
What chairs do you have in your dining room? We are in the midst of a kitchen reno and have gotten rid of our tiny useless eating area in the kitchen. As a result we will be using our dining room more than before. We have a beautiful 1970s Danish teak table and hutch, but the chairs are also 1970's (hideous green upholstery). They are also too low to be used by the kids and if I bothered to reupholster then I will be freaking out about every spill!

One option is to look at Kinderzeats or the like for the kids and have the dining room chairs re-done for the adults, but I was hoping to just buy new chairs for everyone for daily use.

Any suggestions?

lalasmama
02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
No suggestions... I will actually be watching this thread... We're using folding chairs still!

crl
02-08-2010, 11:51 PM
We have a very simple dining table made from reclaimed wood--I guess it's somewhat Shaker in style. So our chairs are scavenged windsor with black backs and legs and a wood seat. But I thought these were more in the style of your table? http://www.dwr.com/product/dining/chairs/side-chairs/profile-chair.do?sortby=ourPicks

Catherine

ETA: But if the chairs are part of the set, I'd be very inclined to try to keep them. What about reupholsering them in leather? And using boosters if you don't want to shell out the $$$ for the Tripp Trapps?

belovedgandp
02-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Re-upholstering just the seats of chairs is really a pretty easy action. I didn't do a great job, but it is certainly presentable and I'm not worried about them getting stained by the kids since I have very little invested in some new foam, fabric and a staple gun.

When the kids get older, we'll either buy a "real" dining room set and chairs or I'll have someone with more skill and better fabric redo these again.

kijip
02-09-2010, 02:44 AM
www.roomandboard.com

might have something there that would go well with a Danish Teak set.

We love our chairs but they are a totally different style than your table so that's out!

klwa
02-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Re-upholstering just the seats of chairs is really a pretty easy action. I didn't do a great job, but it is certainly presentable and I'm not worried about them getting stained by the kids since I have very little invested in some new foam, fabric and a staple gun.

When the kids get older, we'll either buy a "real" dining room set and chairs or I'll have someone with more skill and better fabric redo these again.

:yeahthat: Our dining room set is DH's grandparents' old set. We stripped the wood & refinished (which was a pain & a half) and redid the seat upholstery. That was the easy part. I jsut bought some extra fabric in case the kids destroy a seat later. Now, when we use it, though, we just throw a towel onto the kids' seats.

Just a thought, could you buy fabric seat covers to use until you think the kids are old enough to not ruin any new upholstery?