PDA

View Full Version : Is Britax discontinuing the Diplomat?

GoBlue
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
I have settled on the Diplomat for when DD outgrows her SafeSeat, but it seems that they only had 4 patterns and two of them are on closeout. Is it just that those two were unpopular, or is Brtiax on the way to discontinuing the Diplomat altogether? Anyone have any info?

Thanks!

mom2binsd
02-09-2010, 02:18 AM
I think that not many folks buy the Diplomat as it only goes to 40lbs and so you'll end up having to buy another convertible seat.

Is there a reason you aren't looking at a larger convertible that will harness to at least 50lb/65lbs like the Boulevard, Marathon, or another seat like the Radian, Safety First True Fit, Evenflo Triumph Advance, Graco MyRide, Safety First Complete Air????

Joolsplus2
02-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Worse than only forward facing to 40 pounds, it is barely any taller than the safeseat for rearfacing. Only the smallest of children make it to the bare minimum of age 2 rearfacing in it. Here's a list of seats that are more economical (and they seem big, but they really do fit most cars, if your SS fits in there, they will, too :)) http://www.carseatsite.com/recommended_car_seats.htm#ERF

If you need a small seat for traveling, the Roundabout isn't bad, but the Scenera, Titan, and Tribute are also nice choices that are easy to install and light to tote around airports.

AnnieW625
02-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Also the Combi Cocorro is suppose to be a good small choice and it's lightweight too!

Roni
02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Julie, I'm looking at that link--does the Roundabout 50 only forward face to 40 lbs. or only with LATCH to 40 lbs.? (I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself, but I'm trying to plan out the least number of seats I'm going to buy over the next few years, and my choice of infant seat will probably impact what I have to buy down the line. I'm trying to remember if there was a reason I needed a Roundabout and then a Marathon, or if it was just because one kid kicked the other out of the Roundabout before she was ready for a booster.)

arivecchi
02-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I think that not many folks buy the Diplomat as it only goes to 40lbs and so you'll end up having to buy another convertible seat.

Is there a reason you aren't looking at a larger convertible that will harness to at least 50lb/65lbs like the Boulevard, Marathon, or another seat like the Radian, Safety First True Fit, Evenflo Triumph Advance, Graco MyRide, Safety First Complete Air????:yeahthat:

AnnieW625
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Julie, I'm looking at that link--does the Roundabout 50 only forward face to 40 lbs. or only with LATCH to 40 lbs.? (I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself, but I'm trying to plan out the least number of seats I'm going to buy over the next few years, and my choice of infant seat will probably impact what I have to buy down the line. I'm trying to remember if there was a reason I needed a Roundabout and then a Marathon, or if it was just because one kid kicked the other out of the Roundabout before she was ready for a booster.)

Not Jools, the Roundabout 50 forward faces to 50lbs, and yes depending on the car make it will only LATCH until 40lbs. If you go with a Roundabout 50 and don't plan on rear facing longer than when the child is in the standard 35lbs (and less than 1" from the top of the shell) of Roundabout 50 then you can go from the Roundabout 50 to the Britax Frontier (or similar seat that will convert to a high back booster like a Graco Nautilus, Evenflo Maestro, and I belive Evenflo Generations 65), and skip the Marathon all together because it's pretty much the Roundabout 50, but with a higher 65lb weight limit, and a few more extras like a heavy metal LATCH bar, and harness covers called Hugs. Most kids outgrow convertable seats by height not weight so unless you know you are going to have a chunky toddler there is really no need for the extra 15lbs that might be needed with the Marathon.

Now when your baby outgrows the Roundabout 50 and if you still want to keep it rear facing you can look at getting a Radian seat, which will either rear face until 40 or 45lbs (depending on the model), but the Roundabout 50 should be a great choice and get you well past 2 or closer to 3 rear facing and maybe until 4 or even 5 forward facing.

Roni
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks, Annie. That helps a lot. Both of my girls are tiny and were actually old enough and mature enough to go right into a booster at 40lbs. But, to be safe, a 50 lb. forward facing limit would make me feel better. I almost definitely won't be rear-facing after 35 lbs.

Katigre
02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I can't see any advantage of the Diplomat over another seat that will RF longer and fit FF longer.

The Safeseat is really a space hog - high weight convertible seats like the Marathon, Roundabout50, Evenflo Triumph will actually take up less room. (speaking from personal experience here as we have used all of those seats in the same vehicle)

newg
02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
We have a diplomat and I really wish I hadn't got it....(don't tell DH though, 'cause then he'll say "I told you so!" ;) )
We got it because it was a small seat and I liked that it didn't take up as much room..........well we put DD in it on her first birthday and had to turn it FF sometime this past fall.............so it only kept DD FF for about six months.
We also have a blvd and DD is still RF in that, with a long way to go.