PDA

View Full Version : Advice, please! Need two convertible seats...

elliesmom
02-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I need a convertible seat for DD and have been researching and researching (and researching!) and am starting to feel overwhelmed by it all. I know that there are many car seat gurus on this board from reading so many of the posts, and I'm hoping you can help me!

Here's my situation: DD is 13 months, 29 inches, and just under 20 pounds. She's due to to outgrow her infant seat (Chicco Keyfit 22) any day.

I'm looking for convertible seats for my car (1997 Camry) and DH's car (2006 Corolla). I'd like to keep it under $200 for each seat (and less if it's possible to get a quality, comfortable seat for less).

I was all set to buy Roundabout 50s for both of us until I realized that it looks like it only installs with the latch system, which my Camry doesn't have. So much for that plan!

Unless you all have better ideas for me, I'm still thinking that we'll get a Roundabout 50 for DH's car because it sounds like it'll be a good fit for a small car and I don't think that DD will surpass the 50 pound weight limit before moving to a booster seat.

What do you recommend for my 1997 Camry? I need something that (1) can install with a seatbelt, (2) will be comfortable for DD (who is on the small side) and (3) will last her until she's ready to move to a booster seat. Is this too much to ask? :)

Thank you in advance for your help!

elliesmom
02-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Sorry! I just figured that out!

Still interested if anyone has a car seat that they know is great for a 97 Camry! Otherwise, I think I'm leaning towards two RA50s.

o_mom
02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Any convertible out there can install with the seatbelt. Some are easier than others, but all are required to be able to be installed with either LATCH or seatbelt.

The Roundabout50 is a good seat that should last her to at least age 3 rear-facing and then forward-facing to age 5 or so, based on her size. It is the same size as the other large Britax convertibles, just missing a few extras. For most people those extras aren't a big deal, but since you don't have LATCH, the bult-in lockoffs on the Marathon may be needed. When you install a rear-facing convertible with a lap-shouler seatbelt, the shoulderbelt can cause the seat to tip over time. The solution to this is to use a locking clip or lockoff. The Roundabout50 does not have lockoffs, but you may find that it doesn't tip. Hard to say either way, though, without trying it in your car.

The Marathon is usually on sale somewhere for right around $200, so you might look at getting a Marathon for your car and a Roundabout50 for your DH's car. Albeebaby.com has one pink Marathon at $179 and several others (pink, purple and red) at $199. If you can find a BRU coupon you can get a Roundabout50 there or wait for a Target sale (no idea how long that will be).

jjordan
02-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I agree with omom that a good plan would be a RA50 for the car with LATCH and a marathon for your car.

AnnieW625
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
We had an Evenflo Triumph 5 (now the Triumph Advance) in our 2001 Corolla using the belts only and we got a great install.

One poster here said she had really good luck with the The First Years True Fit seats in her nanny's mid to late 90s Camry too.

If I were buying a seat for those two cars today I'd look at the EFTA, The First Years True Fit or the Roundabout 50. If you want or don't mind a girly seat you might luck out with a Marathon on sale for less than $200, but I don't think you can go wrong with the RA 50.

We preferred installing our seats using the seat belt and got a great install. All seats have to install either using a LATCH or seat belt. I don't recall hearing of a seat that only installs with LATCH, except for the hybrid Safety 1st Go booster.