PDA

View Full Version : Kid friendly recipe with quinoa?

nrp
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I bought a giant bag of organic quinoa at Costco and now I don't know what to do with it other than boil it in some broth as a side. Any ideas?

lizzywednesday
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
What do your kids eat?

You can use it like rice, you can use it to stuff peppers, you can use it in place of bulgur in tabbouleh, you can use it like buckwheat groats in kasha recipes, etc.

BTW, you should be sure to either refrigerate or freeze it if you can't use it up quickly because it's not 100% pantry-stable due to the high protein content.

wellyes
02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Mix with black beans, corn, chili powder and cheese for Southwestern-flavor deliciousness.

sunshine873
02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Pilaf-2/Detail.aspx

this was my first attempt at making quinoa anything & DH & I love this. For some reason, the walnuts totally make it. As for kid-friendly, I don't know. We haven't given DD anything with nuts yet.

nrp
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the tip about the freezer - I think some I made a few weeks ago was pretty old and had some off flavors.

lizzywednesday
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the tip about the freezer - I think some I made a few weeks ago was pretty old and had some off flavors.

People tend to treat it more like white rice than anything else, but it should be handled more like brown rice (you should at least refrigerate brown rice!) because it's a whole grain.

Also, the higher protien content makes it more susceptible to spoilage.