PDA

View Full Version : Just when you think you've seen it all....

HIU8
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm driving out of preschool after dropoff this morning. A van pulls in beside me. In the front passenger side is a small child standing by the dashboard. No carseats in the car at all that I could see. First of all--STANDING in the front!!!!!! I gave that man such a stare. At the very least buckle the kid in. We still have snow/ice/slush on the roads!

Roni
02-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I see that type of thing all the time at elementary school drop-off. It drives me nuts. And I'm trying to keep my 9 yo in a booster! I once caught even my kids riding in the back of a truck down my road, though. Another parent made it up to the bus stop before I did and let them ride. I quickly pulled them out and explained that wasn't allowed. (It's a private road, but it's hilly and narrow--crazy!)

Joolsplus2
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I saw that once, too.... In 1978. My mom was unbelievably irked to be seeing something like that, even back then :crying: Why don't people get it now? Seriously :(

HIU8
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't think I would have thought as much about it if it was in the carpool line (the kid unbuckles while waiting to get out and climbs up front). This guy was turning into the lot off a main road (4 lanes) and the kid was jumping up and down against the dash. I so wish there had been a cop there.

Clarity
02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I bet this happens every morning. Maybe a cop can arrange to be there tomorrow, no?

PearlsMom
02-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Some local police departments will provide citizens with postcards to report children not properly restrained -- you just fill in the license plate number, date, location, and what you observed and mail it to the cops. My dad used to have a stash in the glove box when we lived in Northern Virginia. Not sure if they follow up on all tips or send a warning or what, but it felt good to be doing something (especially if you've got a passenger to write down the info for you).

belovedgandp
02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
So scary. There's a boy in my son's afternoon K class that lives two doors down from us. It is utterly ridiculous that we both drive our kids to and from school every day instead of carpooling some. But they have lived there since he was 3 and never owned a carseat. All three kids fight over seat position in the van and never wear seatbelts. I pass her on her way to school after dropping my son off and he's almost always doing the same thing - standing with his coat and backpack on leaning on the dash.