PDA

View Full Version : Which car seat would you recommend for all around use (rentals, airline)

PGTB
02-09-2010, 03:56 PM
This is my first baby, so I've never had to shop for a car seat before. I am not yet sure what stroller I would be getting, but so far I have narrowed down to these 3 car seats (that seem to be compatible with most strollers I've considered):

1) Maxi Cosi Mico
2) Graco Snugride 22 or 32?
3) Chicco Keyfit 30

My favorite is Maxi Cosi Mico in terms of its design, weight, looks and also because I will be using it in the hot summer months, it doesn't look as 'stuffy' as the super padded Cracos and Chicco seats.

I don't like patterns on Chicco Keyfit, I like the Platinum pattern on Graco. I know it's pretty vain to worry about the car seat patterns and looks, but I just dislike the patterns and colors on most of them... except Maxi Cosi, which I find appealing and streamlined.

Extra info:
We will be using the car seat primarily in rental and zip cars (we live in NYC and don't own a car), so the seat would be used without a base (just with the seatbelt). We also would be using it on the airplanes, so the seat has to be FAA approved and should fit into the standard coach seat. I was worried that maybe the Chicco Keyfit 30 or Graco Snugride 32 or 35 might be too big to fit into the coach seat and allow the seat in front to recline? Has anyone used them on the plane? I would really appreciate your feedback.

I am also open to other models like Peg Perego as I might consider getting one of the Peg strollers as a travel stroller and use it as a base with the car seat.

Joolsplus2
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I really wouldn't consider the Mico, though I think the recent recalls have to do with it's attachment to the base and if you plan to mostly use it baseless it might not matter much.
The hugest benefit to the Snugride 35 (the latest model, same as the 32, just higher weight limit), is that it will last by far the longest of any of these, most kids fit in it till 18 months or older (very, very tall kids are out of it at a year or less, though). The Key Fit is nice, but only fits to about a year or less. The 22 and 30 models of that seat are exactly the same.
Taking the newborn padding out makes any infant seat roomy and wide for bigger kids. They can all be installed easily without the base, just with some practice :).

Other options would be the Orbit, because the entire system could get you up to age 4+ with an easy to transport infant seat/toddler seat, and truly divine to push stroller.
Or the Combi Coccoro with Flash stroller.
I'd probably put a SR 35 on a Baby Jogger City Mini or Micro if it were me, lol. Love that Baby Jogger fold... :)

Yes, the SR35 fits fine on a plane, I took it on a puddle jumper with my then-14 mo baby and it was a bit more upright than the recline needed for a newborn in the car...so I might not recommend air travel till your baby has good head control (4+ months, I'd think).

codex57
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Oh, SnugRide all the way. You're talking ultimate variations so need max compatibility. That's the SnugRide right there.

There are really only two seats to look at in the infant seat category. The KeyFit or one of the SnugRides. The KF is better ease of use when it's installed with base in one car (or two with an extra base). If you're gonna be moving around on the fly, possibly using strange seats and strollers, then most definitely the SR.

I prefer the Inglesina Zippy over the Baby Joggers for travel strollers. No infant seat adaptor needed. It folds into a standing position so it stays clean. When folded, you can also roll it behind you like luggage. It also can handle a ton of weight hanging off its handles so it can double as a luggage cart.

AnnieW625
02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Except for the pattern (jungle print) of our Graco Snugride (it was a gift from co workers and I didn't have the heart to take it back!) and the fact that it was also a back adjust model it did it's job well. DD was in the seat until 7 mos. old. If you like the Platinum than go ahead and get it. In the SR 35 there is a nice black/grey option called Flint. There are much less patterned options for the SR 35.

As far as stroller goes I might look at the Maclaren Techno XT (has full suspension, awesome folding sun shade, and a full recline). You can also get the XLR which has the included car seat adaptor bar for Graco (and some other brands). Maclarens make wonderful strollers for travel. If you want a traditional looking carriage stroller I don't think you can go wrong with the Zippy either.

elektra
02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Another vote for the Snugride 35 for you (although Jools' Orbit idea could be cool too. I just don't know a whole lot about that one).
It seems like it would be so much easier to do the taxis with the infant seat. And with that seat, you will get the longest use if any infant seat I know of.
I have the Chicco Keyfit and I do like that one, but part of the reason I like it is because the base installs so easily, and if the base isn't a big deal for you, I would say Snugride32 or 35 for sure. It also fits with more strollers.

ETA: One more thing- if you don't find a fabric you love in the Snugride, check out Teutonia. It is basically a Snugride with better fabric.

wellyes
02-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I had a SnugRide 22 and loved it. I think the low weight limit is fine, keeps the seat nice & light. It's a VERY popular seat too (probably due to price) and that means that getting attachments / accessories for it is super easy. I bought two strollers on Craigslist and both times the people threw in a Graco adapter.

PGTB
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
ETA: One more thing- if you don't find a fabric you love in the Snugride, check out Teutonia. It is basically a Snugride with better fabric.

Will Teutonia fit into the Snugride adapters or be compatible with strollers that accommodate Snugride without adapters like Inglesina Zippy?

PGTB
02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Except for the pattern (jungle print) of our Graco Snugride (it was a gift from co workers and I didn't have the heart to take it back!) and the fact that it was also a back adjust model it did it's job well. DD was in the seat until 7 mos. old. If you like the Platinum than go ahead and get it. In the SR 35 there is a nice black/grey option called Flint. There are much less patterned options for the SR 35.

As far as stroller goes I might look at the Maclaren Techno XT (has full suspension, awesome folding sun shade, and a full recline). You can also get the XLR which has the included car seat adaptor bar for Graco (and some other brands). Maclarens make wonderful strollers for travel. If you want a traditional looking carriage stroller I don't think you can go wrong with the Zippy either.

I couldn't find any appealing patterns in Snugride 32 or 35 unfortunately, they seem to be very very limited... I didn't see the gray/black combo in SR 35, only two colorful choices on Graco website. I found 'flint' on BB&B website when I googled it, maybe it's discontinued?

As far as strollers, which one would be lighter? Maclaren or the Zippy? I don't seem to like Maclarens for some reason... I find them a bit too flimsy or tippy...and not so stylish looking, sturdy looking. I much prefer Inglesina, but what is the advantage of a Maclaren over it?

PGTB
02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Other options would be the Orbit, because the entire system could get you up to age 4+ with an easy to transport infant seat/toddler seat, and truly divine to push stroller.

I was considering Orbit, but it's a very very pricey option for just an infant system.. I am not thrilled with their toddler system, so I may not keep it past infant stage. I don't know if I want to spend over 1K to have an infant car seat + frame + bassinet (which is a must for me). I don't care about their base, would never use it, but must buy it together, so here I am paying for stuff I won't use and quite a lot. I calculated that if I have UP Vista (for city use) + infant car seat + dedicated separate good quality travel stroller + toddler car seat I would pay less than all the stuff I'd have to buy for Orbit... So, Orbit doesn't seem like a practical solution for me currently.

Or the Combi Coccoro with Flash stroller.
I'd probably put a SR 35 on a Baby Jogger City Mini or Micro if it were me, lol. Love that Baby Jogger fold... :)

I love it as well! I am definitely considering BJCM as one of the options for that good quality travel stroller I might have to get in addition to my main stroller (which probably would be UP Vista).

PGTB
02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
I prefer the Inglesina Zippy over the Baby Joggers for travel strollers. No infant seat adaptor needed. It folds into a standing position so it stays clean. When folded, you can also roll it behind you like luggage. It also can handle a ton of weight hanging off its handles so it can double as a luggage cart.

I am seriously considering Zippy for tthe travel stroller (together with the BJCM) as I love its fold as well! I think it's fairly lightweight and I love that the seat goes all the way down. I just wish it would be reversible... I only wish they sold Zippy Free model here in the US! That one is reversible and would make an absolutely perfect travel stroller for us.

Does it really accommodate any car seat without any adapter? Do you have to remove the main seat and does the main seat fold for travel bag to take with you?

PGTB
02-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Thank you for all your responses, ladies! it's been very helpful.

I like the idea to be able to use the infant car seat for longer (with snugride 35) as it would make our travel easier, as long as the regular airline seat fits it (which it seems it would).

But, I am not so thrilled with the color/pattern options. I really like solid colors and streamlined plain look (like Maxi Cosi). Unfortunately, all Gracos I saw on their website for SR 32 and 35 came with the light colored plastic frame and I can't stand it for some reason... I need the plastic to be dark color, like black frame they have for SR 22 Platinum or Chicco KF 30 Romantic. Otherwise, I just can't bear looking at it, LOL :) Sorry, it's all vanity at this point... I know... but we all want pretty strollers that would appeal to our eye, ha ha.

codex57
02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Will Teutonia fit into the Snugride adapters or be compatible with strollers that accommodate Snugride without adapters like Inglesina Zippy?

Teutonia is a SnugRide. You wouldn't be able to tell them apart until you look at the handle and see what it says there. Owned by same parent company. Teutonia seat was created just to have a more upmarket seat than the Graco brand could pull off.

The XLR is about the same weight as the Zippy. Both have a "listed" weight of 17 lbs. With the hood, basket, etc, it's more like 20 lbs. I think the Zippy is a pound or two heavier than the Maclaren with all the parts on. Maclaren can hold a heavier (by 5 lbs?) child. That's about the only advantage. Otherwise, it's Zippy all the way. MUCH better fold, standing fold, much bigger hood, can hang stuff on the stroller without it tipping, etc.

Plus, you just plop the car seat in it. Just recline the stroller seat and plop the infant seat in. There are straps you can use to really secure the infant seat, but I don't use them all the time. No carrying around an extra adaptor.

I never recommend the XLR cuz the Zippy and BJ City Mini are much better strollers at that price/size range. However, I love the Maclaren Quest cuz it's much lighter and at that weight, there aren't clearly better competitors.

GraceH
02-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I couldn't find any appealing patterns in Snugride 32 or 35 unfortunately, they seem to be very very limited... I didn't see the gray/black combo in SR 35, only two colorful choices on Graco website. I found 'flint' on BB&B website when I googled it, maybe it's discontinued?

Actually, just the opposite... the snugRide35s are just recently coming out to replace the SR32s. Graco really needs to update their website...
The patterns out for the SR35s (that I know of) are:
Racer (tan, red, grey - stripe w/ grey base),
Flint (velour grey - solid w/ grey base),
Nolan (blue, grey - solids w/ grey base),
Maddox (teal, brown - circles w/ tan base),
Lily (pink, brown - floral w/ tan base),
Brunswick (white, green, brown - argyle w/ tan base),
Lowery (brown, green, beige, blue - bubbles w/ tan base)
I really enjoyed having the larger Graco seat - we made it to age 2 in it - having it through two Chicago winters was a lifesaver for my suburban errand running self... I had mine paired with a Graco Mosaic stroller as a budget choice, for a larger budget, I would look at the similar Peg Perego Si.

Another thought (not to throw a wrench in your plans, sorry...) would be the Combi Cocorro -- it's a convertible seat, which will last longer than infant seats, but it has the Combi stroller frame that will accept it. The Cocorro is a great choice for smaller vehicles (which I think many of the zip cars are)... although trying to install in a taxi would probably not be fun.

vonfirmath
02-09-2010, 11:58 PM
I had a SnugRide 22 and loved it. I think the low weight limit is fine, keeps the seat nice & light. It's a VERY popular seat too (probably due to price) and that means that getting attachments / accessories for it is super easy. I bought two strollers on Craigslist and both times the people threw in a Graco adapter.

For their use (In taxis/rental cars only) the low weight limit is NOT fine. Dealing with a convertible on the streets is MUCH more difficult than an infant seat that you can put into a compatible stroller. They want the highest limits possible so they don't have to move to the convertible until absolutely necessary.

Yes, the Orbit is even better for this -- if they can afford the price.

Joolsplus2
02-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Teutonia will definitely be compatible that anything the Snugride 32/35 fits in, since it's the same seat with different (prettier!) colors. :thumbsup:

I was mostly thinking Orbit because that and the Combi are the only systems that allow you to snap the convertible/toddler seat onto a stroller frame... making life as easy as possible for 3+ years instead of 18 months or so. :)

KrisM
02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Personally, I'd give up looks for convenience. I can't imagine having to install and uninstall a convertible seat in a taxi on a regular basis. If you get a lower weight limit seat, your child could outgrow it at 6 months and you'll be hauling a convertible around. I'd get the highest weight limit I could find to make it easier to transport the child until 18 months or so.

PGTB
02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Personally, I'd give up looks for convenience. I can't imagine having to install and uninstall a convertible seat in a taxi on a regular basis. If you get a lower weight limit seat, your child could outgrow it at 6 months and you'll be hauling a convertible around. I'd get the highest weight limit I could find to make it easier to transport the child until 18 months or so.

I am not sure I understand about convertible seats yet... I was just thinking of getting an infant seat and later getting sit-n-stroll device for travel when our baby outgrows the infant seat. Sit-n-stroll has retractable wheels and basically converts into a stroller. It is suitable till the child is 45 lb I think, it's FAA approved for airline use and certified to be save in the vehicle, it's also pretty lightweight (much more so than the Orbit system or a combination of a regular car seat + wheel base). I would use sit-n-stroll as a car seat for occasional trips. I don't think we'll be using taxis so frequently that it would be necessary to use this carseat/stroller all the time... Most likely it will be long walks to get to places and with the more lightweight regular travel stroller it will be buses and occasionally subways.

My main hesitation about buying something that far out into the future is that I don't know yet if we still will be in NYC when our child outgrows the sit-n-stroll... I don't know where we will be and what lifestyle we will have at that point and whether we will have a car. I'll just wait and take it from there. My main concern now is to find something appropriate to travel with the child during the first year or two while we are living urban lifestyle without a car.

So, I am going to try the different weight categories of Snugride and Chicco and see which size I would be comfortable to carry.

PGTB
02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
For their use (In taxis/rental cars only) the low weight limit is NOT fine. Dealing with a convertible on the streets is MUCH more difficult than an infant seat that you can put into a compatible stroller. They want the highest limits possible so they don't have to move to the convertible until absolutely necessary.

Yes, the Orbit is even better for this -- if they can afford the price.

What is a 'convertible seat'? Sorry, I am not yet at that stage where I researched anything beyond the infant car seat or the sit-n-stroll travel system. The highest possible limit on infant seat would be great, I would definitely go for it as long as I can lift it and as long as it will fit into midsize cars and coach airline seats.

But then again, I was really excited about sit-n-stroll, it seems like such a convenient system, the car seat has retractable wheels, all you do just wheel your child on to the plane, nothing to check at the gate. Even better than having to deal with a separate frame and seat. Also, works great in rental cars and taxis from what I heard. it's great that it's also a stroller, not a good stroller, but still something you can use for a short trip. And it's very lightweight too. I tried it at the store where I also tried the Orbit and found Orbit to be too clunky and heavy in comparison. Sit-n-stroll just seems it would be so much easier to deal with traveling with the older child who won't fit into the infant car seat than Orbit. Granted, Orbit would also provide a nice wheel base for when you travel long term somewhere and need to use the stroller for longer periods and frequently. But I don't know how comfortable Orbit toddler car seat would be for that situation anyway, it isn't really advisable to use this as a stroller seat. So, you have to check the stroller seat into luggage. But then, if you do end up having to check some stroller stuff into luggage, what's stopping you from checking a lightweight good quality travel stroller into luggage when traveling with the sit-n-stroll. I didn't think of any advantage that Orbit would have over sit-n-stroll, the disadvantage would be that you would have to check the Orbit frame at the gate and worry about that expensive equipment surviving the trip.

Joolsplus2
02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
The Sit n Stroll is good *in theory* but in practice it's pretty bad. It's quite heavy and hard to flip from carseat to stroller mode, I hear practically impossible with the child in it. It's very hard/usually not possible to get a safe install in cars with it.

A convertible seat is a toddler seat: It rearfaces to 35 pounds (toddlers should rearface in the car to at least age 2, preferably longer), then it is forward facing harnessed to at least age 5. They are typically heavier than infant seats and harder to install on the fly (the Sit N Stroll is a convertible, and it's truly one of the hardest to install properly...it also is VERY short, typically fitting kids only till 2 or 3, then you'd need to buy a taller seat).

The Coccoro is a convertible, as is the toddler seat on the Orbit. But since you don't know your situation for years out, the Snugride35/Teutonia will last a good long time and you can see at that point what convertible will work for you.

arivecchi
02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
What is a 'convertible seat'? Sorry, I am not yet at that stage where I researched anything beyond the infant car seat or the sit-n-stroll travel system.
http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html

Thought this would be helpful for any newbies/lurkers reading this thread.

goldenpig
02-10-2010, 02:03 PM
I vote for Graco Snugride and Peg Perego Si for a good travel system combo with a lightweight umbrella stroller (16 lb) with lots of features, including standing upright when folded. I would also consider getting the highest weight capacity infant seat possible. Convertibles are a lot heavier and bulkier.

codex57
02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I know we should prolly stick to infant seats in this thread, but I just wanted to throw out the Cosco Scenera as an option for a travel convertible.

As long as you travel in newer cars, which zip cars are, and most taxis seem to be (at least in the major cities), it's not that bad to install. I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it feels about the same as an infant seat.

mom2binsd
02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Ok I'll bite- what's a Zip car???

I'd also stay away from the Sit n Stroll later if looks are at all a concern...it's not pretty at all!!!! (and not a great stroller or carseat).

lalasmama
02-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Ok I'll bite- what's a Zip car???

I'd also stay away from the Sit n Stroll later if looks are at all a concern...it's not pretty at all!!!! (and not a great stroller or carseat).

www.zipcar.com

Basically, you pay a fee to use the car. The fees pay for the insurance, gas, etc. Definately a blessing in a busy city where/when car ownership isn't feasible. Some cities (like Portland) have special parking for the cars and everything! And the parking spaces we have are right in the "thick" of things--like a few car lengths from the stadium, near the employee entrance of our local hospitals, etc. You just put in your reservation, and its at its locale waiting for you!

PGTB
02-11-2010, 12:00 PM
www.zipcar.com

Basically, you pay a fee to use the car. The fees pay for the insurance, gas, etc. Definately a blessing in a busy city where/when car ownership isn't feasible. Some cities (like Portland) have special parking for the cars and everything! And the parking spaces we have are right in the "thick" of things--like a few car lengths from the stadium, near the employee entrance of our local hospitals, etc. You just put in your reservation, and its at its locale waiting for you!

We rely on zip cars in NYC, car ownership here is pretty painful experience unless you are willing to plunk in 400 a month for a designated parking, which isn't worth it when you don't need a car on day-to-day basis, only occasionally. Zip car locations are all over the place here, so you just walk there, grab a car and then return it at a designated time. You can rent for a couple of hours or for a couple of days, it's easier than using rental cars, less hassle and cost savings are great when you compare this with car ownership.

PGTB
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Teutonia will definitely be compatible that anything the Snugride 32/35 fits in, since it's the same seat with different (prettier!) colors. :thumbsup:

I was mostly thinking Orbit because that and the Combi are the only systems that allow you to snap the convertible/toddler seat onto a stroller frame... making life as easy as possible for 3+ years instead of 18 months or so. :)

Thank you, I really like Teutonia patterns, but what about the seat size? It seems they only come in 32, not 35 like Gracos. I just want to make sure that they would work with the Graco adapters.

Joolsplus2
02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Thank you, I really like Teutonia patterns, but what about the seat size? It seems they only come in 32, not 35 like Gracos. I just want to make sure that they would work with the Graco adapters.

They really pop off the same seat mold at the factory. The height limit is the same, the connections on the bottom are the same, etc.