PDA

View Full Version : Best way to pre-cook hotdogs to be reheated later?

randomkid
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I have something that I have to take 2 dozen hotdogs for and I need to precook them the night before (which is tomorrow, BTW). They will be reheated the next day. I can't stand boiled hot dogs, but I'm guessing that would be the best option. I won't be eating them anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter. If boiling is best, how long do I cook them? We never boil hotdogs, we always grill them or cook them under the broiler in the toaster oven if only doing a couple at a time. Any suggestions other than boiling?

Thanks

MamaKath
02-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I would probably boil them and then put them in a crock pot with either baked beans or kraut. I think they are actually cooked already though, you might be able to just put them in the crock pot and heat them in that with baked beans.

hobie
02-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Hot dogs are fully cooked, so there is no reason to precook them (unless you are using raw sausages).

ohiomom1121
02-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Do you have a crock pot? For DD's birthday party at a gymnastics place we had hot dogs for the kids. We put them in the crock pot for about an hour and a half with just a tiny bit of water at the bottom (maybe 1/2 cup) and they were delicious! Tasted more like grilled ones. I hate boiled hot dogs too. And hot dogs are precooked, so you really shouldn't need to do anything with them tonight-just throw them in tomorrow.

kep
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't think you have to pre-cook hotdogs either, unless they are uncured or something like that. I say boil them up on the stove for a few minutes, then pour the whole thing into the crockpot.

kep
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Do you have a crock pot? For DD's birthday party at a gymnastics place we had hot dogs for the kids. We put them in the crock pot for about an hour and a half with just a tiny bit of water at the bottom (maybe 1/2 cup) and they were delicious! Tasted more like grilled ones.

Actually, this sounds even better!

randomkid
02-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Guess I should have been more specific. Can't take a Crock Pot - thought of that, but can't do it. They will be reheated in a microwave. I know they are precooked, but they just seem so raw - ick. I was asked to precook them. I also know they can just be cooked in a microwave, but we're talking they need to be able to be zapped in a few seconds. Guess I'll boil for a few minutes. That's how they serve them from hot dog carts, right?

elephantmeg
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
If you are going to reheat in the microwave then I would broil them like you normally do. We reheat grilled hotdogs all the time in the summer-so much better than just nuked

shawnandangel
02-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I agree with Margaret. Broil them and then zip em tomorrow in the Microwave. DH and I do this in the summer too. We'll grill a whole pack an then put them in zip lock bags in the refridgerator and nuke em in the microwave for lunch over the next week or so. They taste great!

bnme
02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I have saved leftover broiled or grilled hotdogs and then zapped them for lunch the next day. Cover with a peper towel.

Gena
02-09-2010, 10:26 PM
We do them "pigs in a blanket" style: Wrap each hot dog in crescent roll dough (Pillsbury or similar), place on cookie sheet, bake according to directions on roll package. Can be reheated in the microwave. DS loves these because the hot dog never falls out of the bun!

TwinFoxes
02-09-2010, 10:31 PM
I think microwaving a boiled hot dog won't taste or look any different than microwaving a hot dog out of the package. I think broiling or grilling them first makes more sense.