PDA

View Full Version : turbo turtle vs wheely bug

kristac
02-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Anyone seen/ tried both in person? Looking for DS's 3rd bday.

jessicallyn
02-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi. We have a Wheely Bug that I bought when DS2 was 2 or so, because it was so darn cute and not plastic-y. I have to say that 6 (!!!) years later, all of my children (ages 1 1/2 to 10) still climb onto it and whizz around the house. So a lot of fun, and VERY durable.

BUT...That thing is so darn dangerous! The handle is barely padded metal so major concussion hazard. And the wheels are 360 degree rollers so the thing skids out from underneath them. And not only that, the seating area is round and firm, so they tend to slide around on it and do roll-overs until they really get the hang of it.

And yet, boy do they love it. It all depends on your tolerance for risk. I don't know about the other toy, so maybe it is safer.

We also have a pretty cheap, ugly, plastic ride-on "tractor" that actually has a functional steering wheel. It's toddler sized so only the littlest ones use it, but it is a big favorite as well. But not as beloved as the Wheely Bug, probably because it lacks that "chance of major injury" thrill.

Good luck

Joolsplus2
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Ooh, that turtle is cute! The storage space would be a big hit with my kid, too. We have a small wheelie bug we got before she could even walk, she pushed it around the house, then learned to ride it. Now at 4 she still flies around on it and loves it (her 10 yo sister and her friends do, too, and they've caused a wheel to come off, dh fixed it somehow, but I think they are really over the weight limit).
I guess you could go with either one, sounds like 10 yos fit on the turtle, based on an amazon review, you'll probably get lots of use out of it or the wheelie... just go with the one that matches your decor? (ok, neither...pick the one you don't mind looking at for a few years..I like our bug so much I think it'd be a cute vintage decorative item one day, lol).

WatchingThemGrow
02-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I've seen them both, not owned either. My DC love the plasma car that we use indoors. Two at a time ride on it, and it is a total hit.

amybds
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I haven't tried the wheely bugs, but have the turtles for our twin boys, who are almost 2, after getting them on clearance at Target awhile back.

They're fun, though I don't think we have enough floor space for them. They work on carpet, but move better on wood floors. Really looking forward to trying them outside. One boy is really short, like his mom ;), and he can just barely reach the ground to push himself, but he manages. The storage compartments are great.

I am thinking about taking out the batteries because the sound effects are really loud - kinda cute, but loud. I do like the "look" of the wheely bugs better, but the turtles were too good a price to pass up, especially since I need two.

BeachBum
02-11-2010, 08:53 PM
We have both. Function wise for a 3 yr old they are very, very similar. We have the small wheely bugs for the 1 yr olds and they take up so much less space, but you would need a large for a 3 yr old, so that is a non issue. My 4 yr old uses the turtle.
The turtle has the nice storage compartment and the fun (but annoying) sounds.
I don't see any real pros/ cons to either type.