PDA

View Full Version : anyone made yogurt in a crockpot?

neeleymartin
02-09-2010, 09:21 PM
wanted to make some thick Greek organic. i googled but would love to here some btdt from you guys. tia.

firstbaby
02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I just did it two weekends ago. It turned out awesome! I used organic plain yogurt and organic whole milk and followed these directions:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

I have been flavoring it with vanilla, honey, and fruit blended in. Let me know if you try it! I think it could easily become more of a greek yogurt consistency with draining it through a cheese cloth.

DietCokeLover
02-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I made the same recipe as PP. I thought it was disgusting and threw out the whole pot.
Maybe I did something wrong.

neeleymartin
02-10-2010, 07:15 PM
in the pot as we speak. I bought a yogurt starter at the health food store. looks like it contains active cultures as well as powdered milk. figured it was worth a shot. it only needs to culture 4 hours with the starter... a big plus for me. I can have it in the fridge before I hit the sack.

neeleymartin
02-10-2010, 09:12 PM
such an idiot:duh::duh::duh:I used ultra-pasturized milk. says not to. guess I'll let it sit overnight with hopes that time will magically transform my mess-up!

firstbaby
02-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Bummer! I hope it turns out okay for you - let us know! Once my batch was finished, I put it right in containers for the fridge and didn't try any until the morning. I would give it time to chill again before making a decision. Hope it turns out :)

neeleymartin
02-11-2010, 04:31 PM
well, it was a flop. ultra pasteurized did not work. i am trying again tonight.

egoldber
02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I tried it twice. Once with ultrapasteurized and once with regular milk. It did not work either time.

I now use a combo stovetop/oven method.

If you search on yogurt in the Cooking forum, there are several threads.