PDA

View Full Version : Share your homemade Valentine's card ideas?

deborah_r
02-10-2010, 01:09 AM
DS1 and I toyed around with a few ideas for making his own cards, but we ran out of time (handing out Thursday at school). I am interested to hear what people did if anyone wants to share. Also where you got your supplies if you have something special. Thanks!

crl
02-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Ours aren't very jazzy. DS wanted to do Peanuts cards and I couldn't find any. But I found Snoopy Valentine's Day stickers. So we cut construction paper into fourths, stuck a sticker on one side and wrote:

To: Jane
Happy
Valentine's
Day!

on the other side.

Catherine

Kyras mom
02-10-2010, 02:58 AM
We bought foam hearts at WalMart (5 inches across, pkg of 32). DD wrote "I >heart< U", or "you're the best", etc., then Love, and her name. Then decorated with heart stickers and stamped with a flower stamp. Last year I cut heart shapes out of red card stock and put that on those heart shaped paper lace things from Michaels. DD wrote on it and decorated with valentine stickers.

Melbel
02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
I am not sure if this is at all what you had in mind, but it may be an option for a pretty easy, inexpensive card. I designed cards at www.scrapblog.com, exported as a jpg and then had them printed at Costco. Here are the 3 I designed (2 for my kids, 1 for a friend). I will delete the ones with my DC's pictures in a day or so to preserve privacy.

deleted pix of DC

SnuggleBuggles
02-10-2010, 09:45 AM
One year we mailed out old school valentines, the ones in a box with popular characters or whatever, along with a picture. I thought they were quaint, cute and nostalgic. :)

Family Fun has some adorable ones, btw!

Beth

lmintzer
02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Jack (my 3rd grader) and I did "iPods" (conversation heart boxes wrapped in red paper). We printed out labels with songs and the dial. The headphones were Hershey's Kisses attached to strings. We got the idea from "Family Fun."

Joshua (my Kindergartener) and I did mouse/heart valentines. I think the idea was also from Family Fun. We folded paper hearts in half and stapled them to make the mouse's body. The stick of a lollipop was the tail. We glued on contrasting color hearts for ears and googly eyes and colored in a nose. He wrote a short message on the inside.

Both were fairly time-consuming. We started them 2 weekends ago so we wouldn't be rushed.

Momof3Labs
02-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Really simple, but you don't have a lot of time anyways. We got a 24pk of post-it notepads at Costco. On each notepad, DS1 put a Valentine's sticker on the top sheet and wrote "To: <friend> From: <DS1>"

Lame, I know, but we're a little busy these days. But I felt better about it than some Oriental Trading Co stuff that just goes in the garbage after a day. What kid doesn't like to mess around with post-it notes??

ETA: DS1's school doesn't allow food at all for Valentine's Day. Even when they do allow food, they do not allow candy. So that limits our options tremendously (as I read Lisa's post before me and cringe).

Reyadawnbringer
02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
I took a blue piece of cardstock sheet, cut it in fourths. Then I took a dark green piece of cardstock and cut out the shape of a t-rex profile, and glued it to the blue paper. After that I took a red piece of carstock and cut it out in the shape of a heart and glued it to the t-rex hands. It is very simple looking, but awesome. On the back it just says, "Have a T-riffic Valentine's Day! From: X"

DS only has 9 people in his daycare class and they are all one year olds so I just wanted to keep it simple, but original so as to not end up buying the same cards as everyone else. I will try and post a picture tonight.

As for the materials, I already had them on hand, but you can buy colored cardstock at any craft store (or just use construction paper).

R2sweetboys
02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
We're doing these ones this year...
http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/v-alien-tine-673695/
It's fairly simple.

jenmcadams
02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
We did these Friendship Blossom lollipop flowers from Family Fun for my 2nd Grade DD:

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/friendship-blossoms-825185/

Honestly, my DH and my DD did them and they were a little more of a pain than I thought they would be (required the hot glue gun to come out which is always a bad sign in my book). I'm way better at ideas than I am at execution :) They did turn out cute and then my DH helped her put them all in a big piece of Styrofoam and it looked like a big bouquet, but if my DH hadn't been around, I think I would have given up and gone the store bought route. For my PreK DS, we did store bought b/c handwriting all 25 classmates names was/is enough work.

firsttimemama
02-10-2010, 12:03 PM
ohdeedoh posted cute printable valentines the other day

catpagmo
02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
DD and I made these:

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/02/03/printable-valentines/

Someone posted this website last week. I wrote: "From: DD's name", and she put stickers and glitter on. They turned out very cute! We used dum-dums instead of tootsie roll pops.

buddyleebaby
02-10-2010, 04:48 PM
DD and I made these:

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/02/03/printable-valentines/

Someone posted this website last week. I wrote: "From: DD's name", and she put stickers and glitter on. They turned out very cute! We used dum-dums instead of tootsie roll pops.

We made these too, with the organic earth lollipops from one of the amazon deals. :ROTFLMAO:
DD painted with watercolor on the back and added glitter.
Then on one wing she wrote to classmate and the other love, dd.

Jen841
02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
We did "Valentine you are all write" flags with To/From on the back attached to a pencil.

We also did "You make my HEART (sticker) Glow" on a heart with a glow stick through it.

Got the ideas from Family Fun.

When the kids were younger we did "Go Bananas it is Valentine's Day" attached to a banana and "Orange you glad it is Valentine's Day" with an orange.

deborah_r
02-11-2010, 05:23 AM
These are fun, thanks for sharing! Maybe next year...we stuck with the store-bought, but we made little envelopes to put them in tonight and put stickers on those. Lori, last year I just assumed no candy with Valentine's but was surprised when DS got a bunch of candy, so I guess his school allows it.

WatchingThemGrow
02-11-2010, 07:54 AM
I printed up the birdie ones from thelongthread blog. Drawing highlighter lines to cut on helped DD get some cutting practice, and writing her name in highlighter helped her write her name. I put little dots where she should start each letter.

I can tell that being a teacher for over a decade is going to make it weird as my DC learn to read and write.

Reyadawnbringer
02-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Finally was able to get the Valentine card scanned that we made for DS's party tomorrow.

Here it is :)

Front:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/reyadawnbringer/Valentine/scan0001.jpg

Back:
Image removed

I am pretty happy with how these turned out, and DH helped cut out the hearts and dinosaurs. It wasn't too time consuming and we actually had a little bit of fun going overboard for DS's first Valentine party :D

Note: I will delete the back side image before bed since it has DS's name on it.

salsah
02-12-2010, 01:15 PM
i love the lolly pop ideas (the flowers and butterflies). i'll have to try those next year.