PDA

View Full Version : best travel car seat?

lmh2402
02-10-2010, 09:55 AM
hi there

was wondering if anyone could recommend a travel seat... i like the perceived ease of the strollex 5-in-1 (i think that's what it's called)

seems idea to be able to use sort of like a stroller. and as a seat on the plane. and in the car once we arrive at our destination

but is it any good?

is there anything you would recommend instead?

thanks!

ETA - i should say this is strictly for vaca purposes - we're happy with our blvd in our regular car at home. thanks!

Joolsplus2
02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
No, it's pretty much hard-to-use-impossible-to-install-safely junkola. What age and weight child are you shopping for? We have a few other options that most of us have been happy with involving our real strollers and cheap/light seats or the Radian (which folds) or travel vests...just depends on the kiddo your shopping for what will work best.

:)

lmh2402
02-10-2010, 10:20 AM
darn! i was afraid of that...

at the time of our travel (in 3 weeks) my son will be turning 11 months

he's on the larger side - 25-26 pounds. and 31+ inches

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joolsplus2
02-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Hmmm... know anyone with a Snugride 32 you could borrow? Nothing's easier than an infant seat. Barring that, the Cosco Scenera or Evenflo Titan are very light seats and fairly easy to learn to install (practice before you go, for sure!). You can either prop them in your stroller seat or hang them off the stroller handles, they only weigh about 9-10 pounds each. Or get a gogokidz carseat roller or even a luggage cart and bungee your regular seat to it to get it through the airport.
Not as easy to find or cheap would be the Combi Coccoro and Flash stroller frame, it's like a big infant seat without the handle... sort of like a snap n go system, but the seat is a convertible seat, it would last 3 years or so, like the Scenera and Titan (all three of which have taller top slots than the strollex thingie, believe it or not, your big kid might not even have lasted till 18 months in that!)

arivecchi
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Love our Scenera for travel. My DS2 is about the same age and that is what we use for him. Buy it at a B&M store so you get it with the travel bag.

lmh2402
02-10-2010, 11:33 AM
hmmm... we actually have the graco safeseat (32), but he's out of it - zero room at the top

so that won't work

i'll look into the others

sorry if this a dumb question - what is a b&m store?

thanks!

christiedavid3
02-10-2010, 11:53 AM
B & M = brick and mortar store (as opposed to online)

We like our Safety 1st Uptown for travel. It was $65 at Big Lots. The Safety 1st Avenue is the newer version and can be found at Sears and *I think* KMart. It has a nice high shell and EPP foam. It's lightweight and good for travel. You will want to practice installing any seat before you travel though, as they are all different and have little quirks.

PGTB
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
No, it's pretty much hard-to-use-impossible-to-install-safely junkola.

which specific sit-n-stroll system are you referring to? I am also interested in them for the same reason - lightweight, convenient for travel, can be used as a stroller, nothing to check at the gate... etc. There seems to be at least two brands with similar features Lily Gold (the one I saw at the store) and the Triple Play. Are they both pretty bad as far as car seats go? I heard the the only inconvenience when installing them is that you have to have your child already in a seat to put the seatbelt through. I thought it would be ok to do this occasionally, I wouldn't consider this if I had to drive with children every day, I would get a regular car seat for that. But for those who don't have cars and will only be using it for airline travel, rental car travel, zip car, occasional taxi ride, etc.. Is this really that bad?

Joolsplus2
02-10-2010, 12:57 PM
It's the same one, just different branding depending on distributor, I think. I've never known even a CPST who can install it properly, though it does get good reviews from regular folks, 99% of whom install and use seats wrong, so they likely don't know what constitutes a proper install or safe use :(

PGTB
02-10-2010, 01:42 PM
It's the same one, just different branding depending on distributor, I think. I've never known even a CPST who can install it properly, though it does get good reviews from regular folks, 99% of whom install and use seats wrong, so they likely don't know what constitutes a proper install or safe use :(

That sounds like bad news for me unless I can figure out how to master the correct installation before actually buying the thing :(

The only other alternative I found is the universal car seat carrier - the wheel base that attaches to the back of the car seat to allow you to roll it with the child in it through the airport and then fold it and put in the overhead compartment. I think it's GoKids, mentioned on this thread as well. This way you can take your regular car seat with you, but then the concern is whether it's FAA approved and would fit into the coach seat and still let your child be comfortable and let the seat in front of you recline. You also have to drag your kid behind you at the airport like a carry-on bag, not a good idea as you can't keep an eye on them in this situation...

What seat would you recommend in this situation? What is a good all -around toddler car seat that would fit on an airplane, be safe, easy to install in all sorts of vehicles, be fairly lightweight? Orbit is way too heavy and the base needs to be checked at the gate. The seat carrier wheels are small enough to be taken on a plane with you.

codex57
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Barring that, the Cosco Scenera or Evenflo Titan are very light seats and fairly easy to learn to install (practice before you go, for sure!). You can either prop them in your stroller seat or hang them off the stroller handles, they only weigh about 9-10 pounds each.

What seat would you recommend in this situation? What is a good all -around toddler car seat that would fit on an airplane, be safe, easy to install in all sorts of vehicles, be fairly lightweight? Orbit is way too heavy and the base needs to be checked at the gate. The seat carrier wheels are small enough to be taken on a plane with you.

I like the Scenera. The Evenflo Titan is good too, but the Scenera is MUCH more plentiful. I've only managed to see the Titan once.

At $40, the Scenera is cheap enough that should it get damaged in travel (always a possibility), you don't feel too bad. Super lightweight too. And if you buy it in a store, it comes in a travel bag instead of a box.

brismom
02-10-2010, 03:57 PM
the sceneras are $35 at KMart this week

niccig
02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
B & M = brick and mortar store (as opposed to online)

We like our Safety 1st Uptown for travel. It was $65 at Big Lots. The Safety 1st Avenue is the newer version and can be found at Sears and *I think* KMart. It has a nice high shell and EPP foam. It's lightweight and good for travel. You will want to practice installing any seat before you travel though, as they are all different and have little quirks.

We used an Uptown too. I loved it for travel. My other seats are pricey, but the Uptown was my favourite seat, so I think it's a good seat. I've installed in it many cars and planes and never had any troubles - there are some installation quirks, nothing major though, and once you practice a few times and work it out, it's as quick to install as my other pricier seats.

To get through the airport, I would strap it to a stroller, like one of the light-weigh Macs, and DS would ride strapped in the car seat. We travel by plane 3-4 times a year.

lmh2402
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
To get through the airport, I would strap it to a stroller, like one of the light-weigh Macs, and DS would ride strapped in the car seat. We travel by plane 3-4 times a year.

can you explain this?

we've got a mac quest that i was planning to bring...so you can clip a car seat to that?

vonfirmath
02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Not "clip"

Buy bungie cords. Wrap them tightly around both the seat and the stroller frame. repeat on the other side. Worked for me with a Chicco umbrella stroller.

PGTB
02-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Not "clip"

Buy bungie cords. Wrap them tightly around both the seat and the stroller frame. repeat on the other side. Worked for me with a Chicco umbrella stroller.

I wonder if this type of combo would be lighter than Orbit toddler car seat + wheel base... But it's smart to have your stroller with you and being able to check it at the gate as opposed to have to check it into luggage.

vonfirmath
02-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I wonder if this type of combo would be lighter than Orbit toddler car seat + wheel base... But it's smart to have your stroller with you and being able to check it at the gate as opposed to have to check it into luggage.

I don't know how heavy the Orbit is. But it is MUCH cheaper.

The chicco stroller I talked about? Cost me $10. I can't imagine it being over $150 new. And I put my Roundabout 50 on top (Cost to me $160--cost for the trip? $0 cause I needed it anyway for the 2nd car)

It is a bit slower to undo than a stroller designed to carry a car seat, I'm sure.

alirebco
02-11-2010, 03:04 PM
We're also going to traveling soon and I'm not sure which seat to bring - either our Marathon or the Radian (which is brand new and I haven't installed it yet). I like how easy the Marathon is to install and even though it's a bit bigger, we didn't have an issue with it the last time we traveled.

lmh2402
02-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Not "clip"

i feel REALLY dumb, but i still don't quite get this. is anyone aware of a youtube - i'll search. or maybe you explain where exactly the bungie cords go? sorry...

also, here come a few more really stupid questions b/c we've not flown with DS yet (i've been avoiding it actually, but that's another story)...anyway:
1. is installation on the plane exactly the same as installing with the belt in the car?

2. if your child is RF in the car, do they RF on the plane?

ok, i'm feeling really dumb right now...but i honestly don't know the answers

thanks
:confused:

arivecchi
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
1. is installation on the plane exactly the same as installing with the belt in the car?

2. if your child is RF in the car, do they RF on the plane?

ok, i'm feeling really dumb right now...but i honestly don't know the answers

thanks
:confused:

1) Yes. It is the same as a lap belt installation in a car.

2) You can but it is not necessary IMO. You are mainly protecting your DC against turbulence (up and down motion), not against a crash. The dynamics on a plane are different than a car. I FF DS2 on planes even though he is still RFing in cars. I just find it easier that way. Do whatever is easiest for you.

arivecchi
02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
We're also going to traveling soon and I'm not sure which seat to bring - either our Marathon or the Radian (which is brand new and I haven't installed it yet). I like how easy the Marathon is to install and even though it's a bit bigger, we didn't have an issue with it the last time we traveled. If you are FFing him on the plane, the Radian is very easy to install FFIng and you will be able to use the plane tray. You can also get the backpack straps for it and carry it that way. I'd personally go Radian.

arivecchi
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
As a PSA: I have a Scenera in a plastic bag and I just hang the bag of my Mac Triumph handle. Works just fine. :)

arivecchi
02-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know how heavy the Orbit is. But it is MUCH cheaper.

The chicco stroller I talked about? Cost me $10. I can't imagine it being over $150 new. And I put my Roundabout 50 on top (Cost to me $160--cost for the trip? $0 cause I needed it anyway for the 2nd car)

It is a bit slower to undo than a stroller designed to carry a car seat, I'm sure. I am not a conservative spender at all and I really don't see the point in the Orbit system. Huge waste of $ IMHO. I'd much rathar have a good car seat and a good umbrella stroller like you. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I prefer to RF on a plane as long as you can in the carseat you have. Rear facing, they can't kick the seat in front of them, and they are easier to interact with. And dropped toys just fall in their lap, not under the seat in front of you or roll down the aisle. And if you are breastfeeding, you just lean over and do it without anyone getting unbuckled.

HIU8
02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
I have RF on planes before. I always say something to the person sitting in front of DC b/c they will not be able to recline their seatback. When DD was in her safeseat and we flew the person in front of her was pissed. I got the stewardess to tell them to change seats with someone b/c DD was riding in her carseat.

FWIW, I had DD FF in August when we flew last and she kicked the seat in front of her the entire time. Luckily one way it was another child. On the ride home we didn't use the carseat and she did so much better.

niccig
02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
can you explain this?

we've got a mac quest that i was planning to bring...so you can clip a car seat to that?

I put the car seat in the stroller, then thread a bungee cord through the Forward facing belt path of the car seat. I pull the bungee cord tight and then I secure the bungee cord to a metal part of the stroller or if the bungee cord is long enough you could wrap it around the back of the stroller and attach the 2 ends together.

It was very secure. I would then lift DS into the car seat and do up the harness. I wouldn't go off roading in this set up, but for an airport it was fine. At the door of the plane, I would take the car seat out of the stroller, put the bungee cord in our stroller's zippered pocket, and fold up the stroller for gate check. We used the car seat on the plane, or you could leave it for gate check.

When DS got too big to use a stroller, I bough a $20 folding luggage cart, secure car seat to it with a bungee cord and when DS was tired, he could ride strapped in the car seat. At LAX we would have him sit in the seat, so we could use the elevator to bypass the long security line, and then he would walk the rest of the way.

You do have to take it apart at security and put it back together, but I find it to be the easiest way to get the car seat through the airport. I did hang it off the stroller handles, but anytime DS got out of the stroller, the stroller would tip backwards...and that was a PITA.

vonfirmath
02-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I have RF on planes before. I always say something to the person sitting in front of DC b/c they will not be able to recline their seatback. When DD was in her safeseat and we flew the person in front of her was pissed. I got the stewardess to tell them to change seats with someone b/c DD was riding in her carseat.

FWIW, I had DD FF in August when we flew last and she kicked the seat in front of her the entire time. Luckily one way it was another child. On the ride home we didn't use the carseat and she did so much better.

The one time the stewardesses made us change my RFing child to FF, this is exactly what he did -- kicked the seat in front of him :( Everyone would have preferred he be RF.

GraceH
02-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Totally behind the times here, but rather than an Orbit, if I were going to buy an exclusive travel set, I would do a Combi Flash stroller frame + Coccoro seat... of course, the Scenera bungied to a Mac is even better if you already own them, but I just wanted to mention a more affordable alternative than Orbit for any lurkers.