PDA

View Full Version : Cnn quotes National Enquirer

BabyMine
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I was watching a show on Cnn and they are reporting about a news story the National Enquirer did.

Here is the story

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/john_edwards_asks_mistress_rielle_hunter_to_marry_ him/celebrity/68137

larig
02-10-2010, 03:29 PM
way to stay classy, John Edwards.

wellyes
02-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Well, to be fair the Enquirer was the one who broke the whole Edwards scandal story. I read about it in that campaign book "Game Change". The Edwards campaign was freaking out when the NE broke the story because they were 100% correct - but it blew over temporarily because the "real" press didn't get that the story was real (for a while). So CNN looked foolish for ignoring the NE of all things. So they are eating a little crow now I guess.

1964pandora
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I wasn't THAT surprised by everything that has gone on with John Edwards so far, but for some reason this marriage proposal, if true, really DOES surprise me. Did anyone see this coming?

AnnieW625
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Well, to be fair the Enquirer was the one who broke the whole Edwards scandal story. I read about it in that campaign book "Game Change". The Edwards campaign was freaking out when the NE broke the story because they were 100% correct - but it blew over temporarily because the "real" press didn't get that the story was real (for a while). So CNN looked foolish for ignoring the NE of all things. So they are eating a little crow now I guess.

:yeahthat: Not the NE, but look at how many times the TMZ crew has been right about things too. As much as I can't stand the paparazzi they are right sometimes.

Fairy
02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
As a former reporter, I just cannot wrap my head around mainstream news quoting the lines of a rag. I get quoting Fox News and Washington Times and Rachel Maddow and NY Post and even the Huffington Post, but to have a mainstream news source validate a rag is just not something in my sphere of reality. I guess in the Internet era and times of TMZ and the like, it's just the way things are. :shake:

codex57
02-10-2010, 03:54 PM
:yeahthat: Not the NE, but look at how many times the TMZ crew has been right about things too. As much as I can't stand the paparazzi they are right sometimes.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I have TMZ pegged higher than NE on the legitimacy scale. I think it's cuz paparrazi just camp out trying to find juicy stories. They might go on rumor, but they don't go making crap up that's clearly fake. Sorry, but I draw the line at things like aliens or the abominable nowman (even tho I'm open to the possibility that they exist).

AnnieW625
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not exactly sure why, but I have TMZ pegged higher than NE on the legitimacy scale. I think it's cuz paparrazi just camp out trying to find juicy stories. They might go on rumor, but they don't go making crap up that's clearly fake. Sorry, but I draw the line at things like aliens or the abominable nowman (even tho I'm open to the possibility that they exist).

Yeah me too, that was why the whole thing about John Edwards being true and written by the NE was a total shocker. I'd love to be a journalism student again just to hear the discussions!:)