PDA

View Full Version : Do you post your location?

arivecchi
02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Why do you post/not post your location in your profile?

Melaine
02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Hmmmm....let's see....

ETA: Nope. I guess I thought it was TMI, although I think I have mentioned it before.

AnnieW625
02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Yes I do and I have no problem with it. I actually wish more people did, esp. in regards to posts in where to get things, but I understand people want to gaurd their privacy and such.

TwinFoxes
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Yes. It's up there in the corner. I've been posting alot during the blizzard that I'm in Fairfax. I would put that in my profile, but I figure many people don't know where that is. Part of the reason is I had a job where my name was in the public AND I had a listed number. No one ever tried to contact me. I guess some people are afraid of falling victim to a scam, but honestly I don't believe anything strangers tell me.

I'm not nearly as private as some people on this board are. My phone number is on my FB page! I do wish more people would at least list a region, I like knowing where people live, where their experiences are. :)

lizzywednesday
02-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I have a vague location, but have posted some clues that give a general sense of my local area, though it could be any one of a dozen towns.

Part of this is because DH is very private and guarded and part of this is because 2 ex-BFs have stalked me in the past.

kijip
02-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't list it but I figure regular members here have figured out that Seattle is like my middle name.

citymama
02-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Nope, but I think all the regulars know where I am!

egoldber
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I think it's helpful when people at least post a metro area (SoCal, DC area, Boston burbs) or a broad geo area (rural OK, FL Panhandle).

mommylamb
02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't have mine listed, but it's more that I never thought about it before. I'm pretty open about my location (Northern VA/DC burbs). Maybe I'll change that.

I do worry sometimes about being found out here by someone I know. I already had one bad experience with that on the BP. And, I worry sometimes about spouting all my political thoughts because I work for a bipartisan organization and tend to keep my own thoughts on things private in my work world (though anyone who knows me well knows where I stand). But I work with a lot of Republicans and represent a lot of Republicans, so I sometimes wonder if I'm going to regret certain things I post.

I do wish that you had to log-in on this site to read the posts. Obviously, anyone could get a username and log-in, but I think it would disuade some of the lurkers.

citymama
02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I do wish that you had to log-in on this site to read the posts. Obviously, anyone could get a username and log-in, but I think it would disuade some of the lurkers.

:yeahthat: I totally agree!

elektra
02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I post my general location. I feel ok doing that, and it just seems to come up anyway, especially in regards to me answering posts about people visiting the area. But I also understand people wanting privacy.
I have also never posted my name or my kids' names, but I have given my name to people over PM. But honestly, I have written so much about myself here, like Google-able stuff, so that if someone REALLY wanted to find out who I was, they probably could have already.

pinay
02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I think San Diego is such a populated area that it's pretty harmless for me to include that info in my posts :) I do wish people had their general locations on their posts as well, since it is kind of nice to get a sense of where people are geographically. But, I completely understand/respect people's desire for online privacy.

mommylamb
02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
There, I did it.

smilequeen
02-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I have the state, and I'm willing to say what city if asked :)

Clarity
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I have a vague reference to my locale but I doubt anyone could figure it out unless they're regular readers.

codex57
02-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I have the region. I don't want casual searchers knowing my details. You have to really read all my posts to be able to figure out who I am. Not worth searching.

I put the region just so people can get a sort of context on my opinions. One really basic example is if I say I'm "cold." Well, in Norcal, it only goes down so far so someone from northern Canada knows their tolerance for cold is likely much more than mine.

hillview
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
New England -- a general area.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Nope and no plans to. I am sure people could figure it out if they cared to but I don't feel a need to announce it.

Beth

lalasmama
02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
My general area is posted. I don't use my real name, I don't use Lala's real name, and I don't think anyone cares enough to figure out who we are... well, maybe her biomom, but there's easier ways to find us!

geochick
02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I do, and I don't worry about it at all.

missym
02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I have my state listed. I know I've posted my city before, though really most people seem to think of Indiana as one big stretch of farmland anyway. :p

pinkmomagain
02-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I give my state and in many posts I have mentioned my general location within the state. I'm not worried about it at all. I also give my first name but not those of my children. Partly because it would help to identify me and partly because I like to respect their own privacy.

mom2binsd
02-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I have a general area that gives others and idea of where I am...I think it is helpful sometimes esp if you're talking about things like schools, preschool etc as large cities and certain states differ so much from other areas.

I totally understand that some folks prefer to be anonymous though.

Neatfreak
02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I did until recently. I was snarked on another board for living in SE Asia and not dressing my toddler in the cheap clothing that is sold to tourists, falls apart, and exacerbates her eczema. So, I'm going to go forward being a little more vague.

Snow mom
02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I used to have my city in my location, and now it's more vague. I know I've posted before pretty specifically about where I live. Honestly, I'm not too worried about it but another thread about privacy made me change it.

BabyMine
02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I just didn't want to give it out even though I mention it in threads.

katydid1971
02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't see the harm in posting it. I won't say anything here that I wouldn't say to people IRL and I don't think anyone here is going to hunt me down and find me ;) If anyone here wanted to get in touch with me I would have no problem giving my number or email address. I guess I don't worry about much but I don't have much to worry about (no crazy exs or anything). I don't list DCs names or post their pictures for safety

kozachka
02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
My state is listed, and I've posted the name of the cities where I've lived before. If someone really tried to find me, they'd be able to do it with or without this board. I try not to think about it. I am more concerned about DH and MIL reading some of my posts than anybody else.

bubbaray
02-10-2010, 11:03 PM
My general location is posted. Our metro area is pretty big, but I suppose if someone really wanted to find me they could. Its not you ladies I worry about, its more the people IRL who have made death threats against me in the past....

maestramommy
02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I do. But my profile is on the tightest settings, so only my friends can see me. So I'd like my friends to know where I am.

bubbaray
02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I do. But my profile is on the tightest settings, so only my friends can see me. So I'd like my friends to know where I am.

OK, I'm confused. I see your location in the right-hand corner.

jenfromnj
02-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I have my state listed, and I've definitely responded to posts with more specific information about my location. My state is even in my username, but I think there are enough women named Jen in the state of NJ that I'm not really giving much away.

MamaKath
02-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I have USA listed, though I don't think it is any big secret which area I live in or am from because I try to answer regional posts. I set is way back and just haven't changed it. Maybe I need to...:)

DietCokeLover
02-10-2010, 11:34 PM
No, but I have mentioned the area where I live before.

MontrealMum
02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I *think* I just have my province listed, but I realize you can all see my username :p I like to have a general idea of where posters are to contextualize some of the posts, but I agree that it's a security risk too. If I didn't live in such a big city I would be a lot more vague.

lchang25000
02-10-2010, 11:45 PM
No, but I have mentioned the area where I live before.

:yeahthat:

C99
02-11-2010, 12:11 AM
I do. The whole idea of privacy on the Internet is largely a joke IMO. If someone wants to find you, they can whether you post your information or not.

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2010, 12:14 AM
I do. The whole idea of privacy on the Internet is largely a joke IMO. If someone wants to find you, they can whether you post your information or not.

I feel the same way and completely understand not sharing that info is not giving me security. But, I feel no reason to give away my information if I don't have to.

eta- i consider it like locking your car doors. Sure, your car could get stolen even if you lock your doors but some thieves will just move on to the car that has it's doors unlocked. It's just easier.

Beth

ahrimie
02-11-2010, 01:39 AM
I think it's helpful when people at least post a metro area (SoCal, DC area, Boston burbs) or a broad geo area (rural OK, FL Panhandle).

:yeahthat:

jgenie
02-11-2010, 02:04 AM
No, I think most regular posters know where I'm located or can find out by searching my posts but I prefer not to advertise it.

LexyLou
02-11-2010, 02:32 AM
I have my general area. I totally agree there is no privacy on the internet. I'm mostly too lazy to go in and update it but I do mention on threads where I live.

Fairy
02-11-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm ok with posting location on a metro area basis. So, I say Chicago, tho I don't live in the city proper. I won't list my actual city.

kmillini
02-11-2010, 02:41 AM
I guess I thought people could tell the state I live in by my username. I didn't want to get any more specific in case someone I know reads this message board. It's not that I have posted or plan on posting anything that I don't want people to read. It's just that I like to be anonymous.

Fairy
02-11-2010, 02:51 AM
I guess I thought people could tell the state I live in by my username. I didn't want to get any more specific in case someone I know reads this message board. It's not that I have posted or plan on posting anything that I don't want people to read. It's just that I like to be anonymous.

Oh, just wait. You'll get there :waving4:

kmillini
02-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Oh, just wait. You'll get there :waving4:

I am sure you are right. When I get a little more comfortable with this board, I will probably say things that I later regret. However, I have found that even on an anonymous board I am very shy. It took me almost a year of reading this board to finally get a username. I still hesitate before every post. It is so stupid! I feel like it is my sophmore year of high school at a new school all over again. :bag

TwinFoxes
02-11-2010, 07:16 AM

I didn't get the Illini reference in your user name at all. I think if you're not from the Big Ten it wouldn't stand out.

MoJo
02-11-2010, 07:37 AM
I listed my state. I've mentioned nearby cities in a few threads. I doubt I'll ever list where I actually live, because it's a very small town.

WatchingThemGrow
02-11-2010, 07:37 AM
I've mentioned it from time to time (as major news events have happened in my little town) but I sometimes point people here and don't always want them to "find" me.

More important, though, in getting someone's frame of reference in talking about baby/kid stuff is the ages of and how many DC they have. I think that is more helpful than location. For example...my "do you go out on weeknights" thead. To see that a few families with DC over 5 actually DO go out was/is helpful.

klwa
02-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I have my state, because I figure that gives people a clue when I'm talking about regional things, but don't give more than that. I've given a general region in NC in a few posts, but I doubt anyone knows what county/town. I jsut feel better with that level of protection.

JTsMom
02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I have my metro area listed, and I'll even say what side of the city I'm on, but I won't give our specific city, except via PM, when relevant, to people I "know". I do say enough stuff that someone could probably track me down if they really wanted to though.

KHF
02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I can't even remember what's in mine...I think it's NKY, which is where I live. There are about a gazillion towns in that 3 county area though :-) And really, most of the time I just say I live in Cincinnati. Which is a big...and getting bigger...metro area.

I try to keep my kids' privacy and don't post pics of them, etc. But I'm not terribly shy about sharing my name or general area. Besides, how else will Corie know I want to join the BBB Cincinnati group when she moves here and starts it?? :)

Beckylove
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't post mine because I worry (probably unfairly) that people will make assumptions about me based on where I live.

geochick
02-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't post mine because I worry (probably unfairly) that people will make assumptions about me based on where I live.

Oh, must be Idaho or Alabama. :) LOL

MelissaTC
02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I just put the Triangle area, NC. The Triangle consists of three counties and many a town. There are people on here that know me and know where I live. Not everyone knows my exact town so I just put the general area.

Corie
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Besides, how else will Corie know I want to join the BBB Cincinnati group when she moves here and starts it?? :)

So true, Kirsten!! :)

Fairy
02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I am sure you are right. When I get a little more comfortable with this board, I will probably say things that I later regret. However, I have found that even on an anonymous board I am very shy. It took me almost a year of reading this board to finally get a username. I still hesitate before every post. It is so stupid! I feel like it is my sophmore year of high school at a new school all over again. :bag

Well, welcome, Illini! Hope to see you post more!

jse107
02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I post it, mostly because i figure people could find me anyway if they wanted to. I don't share anything on here that I wouldn't share IRL. My FB settings are "Friends Only" so I feel marginally more comfortable sharing things like pics on there.

tarahsolazy
02-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't think I do, we'll see when this posts. Its not tough to figure out from my posts, though, if anyone was interested. I don't think I'm very interesting, though.