PDA

View Full Version : Installing BV and MA in 1991 Accord

mommybug
02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Our new nanny has a 1991 accord and I'm having install issues. DS2 is RF and is in the car more often than DS1 who is FF. I tried putting the BV RF outboard on the driver's side but am not getting a good install. I tried using the lockoffs on the BV, but when I pull on the seat hard enough the belt will move through the lockoffs. What am I doing wrong? I put the MA FF in the center, and was able to get the belt tight.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
02-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Are the lockoffs staying closed on that RF seat? Did you just go ahead and lock them on both sides? Would just a gentle tug/normal kid climbing in and out situation still loosen them? Maybe you want to try the Marathon in that spot to see if your BV lockoffs are broken, in that case you could call Britax for replacements. But I think if they are staying closed, and it takes a STRONG tug to move the seat, then everything's fine.

mommybug
02-11-2010, 04:55 PM
The lockoffs are staying closed and I did try it with locking both sides and the belt still went through. They were working fine in our old nanny's car last week, so I must be doing something wrong. I will try again tomorrow and if I still can't get it, try it with the MA. I will also check to see if the seat belt locks, but do cars that old have locking belts? A gentle tug doesn't move it, but if I shake it a bit, it does loosen up.

thanks, Jools!

Joolsplus2
02-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah, no locking belts, except the middle lapbelt, so the lockoffs have to hold and stay closed. Report back, I hope all goes well!

mommybug
02-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Well crap, it's still not working. I spent almost an hour installing and reinstalling, but neither the BV or the MA would hold RF. I have no idea why it's not working. The seat belt just keeps sliding through when the seat is shaken side to side. So, I put the BV FF and was able to get a good install. But DS2 is only 18 months and I really don't want him FF this soon. He's in the nanny's car 3 days a week. I'm not sure what else to do. Should I try another seat? I don't even know what other convertible seats have lockoffs. I also put the MA outboard behind the passenger because with both seats FF I couldn't get my hand down between them to buckle the seat belt. But as I was driving to work I realized that I could have gone under to buckle the belt. Duh. I didn't want the MA outboard since it doesn't have the TSIP wings. Ergh, I just don't know what to do about the BV! Try another seat? Leave DS2 FF? Maybe I should call Britax...

mommybug
02-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I called Britax and they said that sometimes in older cars, the thickness of the belt isn't compatible with the lockoffs. Does that sound right?

Anyway, I think I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to put DS2 RF in the center in the MA and put DS1 in the BV outboard FF. It's less convenient for the nanny to have to put DS2 in the carseat and take him out, but whatever, she can deal.

Joolsplus2
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Never heard it, but anything's possible. Did they allow you to use a locking clip? (I bet they wouldn't so oh well...).

mommybug
02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
She said that they advise consumers to not use a locking clip, but that it was my discretion whether or not to use one. Can I buy locking clips? I guess I might have a couple that came on my Snugride and SafeSeat...I'll probably just do the configuration that I mentioned earlier.

Thanks Jools!

Joolsplus2
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
You should definitely have them from the Gracos. It's no picnic to use one, many people do it wrong, which is why Britax is sort of against them (though they sell them with the Roundabout 50 because it has no lockoffs, and allow them with the Frontier and baseless chaperone). They are perfectly safe when used properly, and *I* would use one on my Britax with lockoffs if I had to (if that makes you feel any better, lol).
Scroll all the way down for pictures if you need them... http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm