PDA

View Full Version : Recs for special family vaca spot with child care

american_mama
02-11-2010, 12:14 AM
For probably two years, I have been fantasizing about going on a very special family vacation if/when DH gets tenure. We've all, children included, sacrificed a fair amount for that to happen, so this would be a special time to reward ourselves and re-connect. Any recommendations? Here are the criteria:

1. Ideally some kind of child care, including toddler care, so DH and I could spend some time alone. Our kids love child care and do not need special hand-holding. I want it to be a program with activities and toys, and I all I have to do is register.

2. It needs to be easy, meaning easy to get to on an airplane from the East Coast and easy to navigate once there. Europe is out because it's too far and hard work once there, and Hawaii is out because of the plane ride (although I would otherwise really like Hawaii). I am open to other international destinations, like the Caribbean, but do not know how far away they are.

3. I would prefer a beautiful beach location, but am amenable to other ideas.

4. A place with some history, interesting sights and/or special activities would be fun. I'm not talking art museums, but if there is some kid-friendly things to see or do, that would be a plus (lighthouses, old ships, living history museums, amazing parks/natural wonders, wildlife, etc).

A friend suggested Costa Rica, but I know nothing about it. One or two people here have raved about Tyler Place Family Resort in Vermont, which is tempting except I'd really prefer some beautiful, exceptional geography. I have never spent time in dramatic mountains or the Caribbean, so both of those are appealing too.

Tondi G
02-11-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't know how you would feel about it but we took our boys on a cruise this past summer and they are begging to go again!!!! If your kiddo is potty trained and over 3 you can cruise royal caribbean... if over 2 then Carnival or Norwegian both offer a kids program that will change diapers or give you a pager and call if the kiddo needs a change. Our children (4 and 8) didn't want to leave "kids camp"! We all enjoyed it very much! The nice thing about cruising is that you get to see a new beach/new places each port day. I highly recommend the caribbean... we cruised there for our honeymoon and it was wonderful.

AS far as land resorts go...

Club Med... specifically the one in Ixtapa ... just had a FULL renovation!

FDR resorts in Jamaica ... come with a vacation nanny

Beaches offers kids programming but I don't know that much about it

I would definitely recommend going over to Tripadvisor and reading reviews of resorts before you book! Oh and if you decide to look into cruising I highly recommend the site cruisecritic.com SO much info over there. Check out the family cruising board!

Have fun planning!

kwc
02-11-2010, 03:03 AM
Was just thinking about this last night when I saw the Trip Advisor Traveler's Choice awards...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoiceList-g1-cFamily

The one I am dreaming of is Club Med Ixtapa Pacifica... right on the beach, all-inclusive and the kids programs go as young as 4 months of age (many of the programs we saw in Hawaii are for 4+ only). Haven't even priced it (gasp) but it could be amazing for celebrating tenure! GL!
http://www.clubmed.us/cm/resorts-north-america-mexico-ixtapa-pacific-children-&-teens_p-115-l-US-v-IXTC-r-6-d-000007-ac-vh.html

hellbennt
02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
club med punta cana dominican republic
closer to get to than mexico (I think?)
we've been twice now w/ our entire family-
it's amazing...

sewarsh
02-12-2010, 08:18 PM
didn't read your whole post, but we're going to massanutten in Va. its in mountains, has wineries, 2 waterparks, several restaurants.

www.massresort.com

Melbel
02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
We have taken 2 family cruises in the Caribbean (Princess and RC). DS and DD1 absolutely loved the kids area. We typically only used it for our nice quiet dinners together which meant that they were asking for more time there. It was very family friendly and a great way to see different islands. On our last cruise when DS was 8 and DD1 was 6, the kids were able to snorkle in Grand Cayman and climb waterfalls in Jamaica. The new RC Oasis of the Seas has child care for infants and toddlers now too. http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=368

lmintzer
02-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Have you checked out Bermuda? I've haven't been, but I've heard wonderful things. And it's super convenient from the East Coast.

LD92599
02-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a cruise w/ several ports would be right up your alley!

clb
02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Best Family Beach Vacations per Parents magazine.
http://www.parents.com/fun/vacation/ideas/best-family-beach-vacations/
Of this list, I've only been to the Atlantis per DC.

poppy
02-13-2010, 10:58 PM
I really enjoyed seeing PEI, Canada. Lots of beautiful scenery, there are beaches--I went in the fall, too cold to swim; It is of the Anne of Green Gables fame--LM Montgomery, the author lived in Cavendish--aka Avonlea. Took a ferry--I think you can take one from Bar Harbor, Maine--which is also a very cute town.

billysmommy
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
One of our absolute favorite places is Nantucket ~ wonderful beaches, restaurants, lighthouses, whaling museum, shopping, fishing excursions, etc. Jetblue and a couple other airlines fly to Nantucket or there is the car ferry (2.5 hours), fast ferry (1 hour) or plane (15 min) from Hyannis.

There are kids camps and activities that you can sign the kiddos up for. Ds1 has done a couple of the half-day art camps and an outdoor games camp. They also do outdoor movies every night in the summer.

american_mama
02-14-2010, 01:40 PM
How warm is it to swim at Nantucket in the summer? Are the lodging choices big hotels, small hotels, bed and breakfasts or all of the above? Were the camps something you found and did on your own? Were they designed for tourists?

sste
02-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Nantucket is very warm swimming -- surprisingly so for the east coast. I have only stayed in a b&b there without kids but families seem to rent houses/cottages/condos. It is not cheap but is lovely and amazing, especially if you like to bike everywhere (limited driving on island).

billysmommy
02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
How warm is it to swim at Nantucket in the summer? Are the lodging choices big hotels, small hotels, bed and breakfasts or all of the above? Were the camps something you found and did on your own? Were they designed for tourists?

There really are no big hotels on Nantucket. We've stayed at the Beachside which is very family-friendly, an easy walk to town and close to Jetties Beach. Jetties is wonderful for kids and the boys favorite...there is a playground, restaurant, lots of beach and at low tide there are some great sand bars. We also love Madaket.
The water is definitely warm enough to swim.
We've also rented houses there. Generally to get one in town or on the beach it is $1000-1500+ per bedroom for a week.
We have friends who own a house there and almost never use it so we usually stay there.
Taxis are plentiful and you can also rent bikes with the trailer attachment. The rental companies will bring the bikes to where you're staying and pick them up. They rent by the day or week.
We found about the camp 2 summers ago. We were there for 2 weeks and got to talking to some of the other families. They are for anyone and we were able to sign up for just a couple of days.
Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions :)

alirebco
02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Was just thinking about this last night when I saw the Trip Advisor Traveler's Choice awards...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoiceList-g1-cFamily

The one I am dreaming of is Club Med Ixtapa Pacifica... right on the beach, all-inclusive and the kids programs go as young as 4 months of age (many of the programs we saw in Hawaii are for 4+ only). Haven't even priced it (gasp) but it could be amazing for celebrating tenure! GL!
http://www.clubmed.us/cm/resorts-north-america-mexico-ixtapa-pacific-children-&-teens_p-115-l-US-v-IXTC-r-6-d-000007-ac-vh.html

That looks great but would be a pain to get to from the East Coast.

OP, we're in the same position and we've been looking at Carribean vacations. We looked at FDR but DH doesn't like the rooms and resort and the nicer hotels aren't as child friendly. The meal plans can also get really expensive!

HallsofVA
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
didn't read your whole post, but we're going to massanutten in Va. its in mountains, has wineries, 2 waterparks, several restaurants.

www.massresort.com

We've been timeshare owners at Massanutten since 1980, and while we enjoy going there, I don't think it fits the OP's needs. No beach, no childcare for toddlers, and not overwhelmingly beautiful in an exotic sort of way. They do have child care available but starts at 4 or 5 (and you have to have the child's birth certificate or passport with you).

But the water park is incredible (ala Great Wolf Lodge), skiing is great during the winter, and they have tons of crafts and other activities during the rest of the year. Two indoor swimming pools plus the water park, mini golf, gokarts, spa, and easy drive to caverns, wineries, and historical sites.

geochick
02-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Our favorite destination with kids...we go yearly...

Grand Palladium Resort. 1 hour south of Cancun (fly direct to Cancun, and use AGI transfer service for door to door shuttle service in a private van or bus). Very fast and safe. From Salt Lake City the flight is only 4 hours.

Kids Club (kids age >1), teen club

Best beach I've ever seen for kids (tons of shade close to the water, 6" high waves, powder fine sand), easy to find a beach chair

AMAZING pricing during low season (PM me for details)

All-inclusive

Safe water and environment

We don't even like to leave the resort because there's SO much to do. The resort is 5 resorts in 1. This means more restaurants to choose from, more space, etc.

It's a huge resort, but there is resort train that makes stops all over and takes you around. You can also take the pontoon boats to get from A to B.

I could go on and on.

http://palladiumaddict.net/PAForum/viewforum.php?f=1

http://www.palladiumaddict.net/

http://www.fiestahotelgroup.com/index.php/en/reservas?plantilla=fiesta2&idioma=EN&action=buscar_hoteles2&caracteristicas[1]=7&caracteristicas[5]=50&f_ini_d=28&f_ini_m=11&f_ini_a=2009&noches=7

You can book through Fiesta Hotel Group or big travel agencies (Expedia, Travelocity, Funjet, Apple Vacations, etc.).

jess_g
02-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Have you considered smugglers notch in vt? They have an extensive kids program and lots to do during the day. I would love to take my kids there one summer. I also think a cruise would be perfect for you.

Jessica

mamica
02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
The Breakers, Palm Beach: www.thebreakers.com. Fantastic for families!

sewarsh
02-14-2010, 09:01 PM

www.massresort.com

okay, sorry to the OP. I just had time to sit down adn read this and realize i was TOTALLY off on my suggestion. as i said in my post, i didn't read your whole post, and in actuality i hardly read any of it. anywasy, this place is clearly not for you now, but maybe another year! sorry.

Melbel
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
The Breakers, Palm Beach: www.thebreakers.com. Fantastic for families!

I am also a huge fan of the Breakers. It is pricey, but you can get better rates in the off season (roughly April through October). DS and DD1 loved it when we took them there at ages 2 and 4.

Friends have recommended Atlantis (Bahamas) and Beaches (Turks & Caicos), both of which are easily accessible from the east coast.

gobadgers
02-14-2010, 10:23 PM
We just got back from a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. If you are a cruise person, it may be worth looking at - this is Royal Caribbean's new giant ship that is more kid friendly than most. They have child care for all ages (including infants!), and there are a TON of things to do on the ship. I think we were on the carousel 100 times, lol. They also have an infant pool (i.e. swim diapers allowed), which I hear is unusual for a cruise ship.

Where ever you end up going - enjoy, you deserve it! :bighand:

ETA: We stopped at three islands on our cruise, and just took cabs to nice beaches with the kids. I never knew it could be so easy!

american_mama
02-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Well, tell me about cruising. I know nothing about it excpt have a slight negative association. Do you feel like sheep, everyone choosing from the same set of activities? I know cruise ships are big, but I can't help but imagine feeling cramped and constrained on one, or the opposite in the worst way and feel like a rat in a windowless maze when trying to get from point a to point b. Do things feel artificial on board, like rock climbing... but on a plastic wall, or swimming in the sea air... but in a chlorine pool, or watching show entertainent... but so-so performers on a small, so-so stage? Or is it all much better than that?

How do you get from ship to and at different ports, and is it chaotic or sheep-like again as everyone arrives at port to do their different things? Do you ever feel like you have done something unique or independent? Or does it not matter because everything you did was so fun and convenient?

kozachka
02-15-2010, 05:15 AM
Another vote for ClubMed. You can choose between FL and two locations in Mexico (Ixtapa and Cancun). Pricing can be a bit of an issue during school vacations and around the holidays but if you are not tied to school schedule than it can be quite doable.

Melbel
02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Well, tell me about cruising. I know nothing about it excpt have a slight negative association. Do you feel like sheep, everyone choosing from the same set of activities? I know cruise ships are big, but I can't help but imagine feeling cramped and constrained on one, or the opposite in the worst way and feel like a rat in a windowless maze when trying to get from point a to point b. Do things feel artificial on board, like rock climbing... but on a plastic wall, or swimming in the sea air... but in a chlorine pool, or watching show entertainent... but so-so performers on a small, so-so stage? Or is it all much better than that?

How do you get from ship to and at different ports, and is it chaotic or sheep-like again as everyone arrives at port to do their different things? Do you ever feel like you have done something unique or independent? Or does it not matter because everything you did was so fun and convenient?

We truly were pleasantly surprised by our cruise experiences. We selected larger, family friendly. highly rated ships using primarily www.cruisecritic.com as a reference. There really is so much to do on the larger ships (pools, spa, ice skating, miniature golf, Flow Rider for surfing/boogie boarding, rock climbing, shows, eating, relaxing). The shows were better than I expected. As for food, I am a quality over quantity type eater. The food was good, not great other than in the speciality restaurants (a nominal charge of maybe $20 pp all you can eat) which were exceptionally good (i.e. think a nice steak house or Italian restaurant). Your rooms will not be large, but we typically did not spend much time in the room. We enjoyed having a balcony for some extra room and to enjoy the beautiful scenery at the various ports.

In the ports, there is an endless variety of excursions (i.e. relaxing on a beach, zip lining through a jungle, snorkeling/scuba diving on a reef, educational). You really end up with a unique experience depending on your choice of excursions. Cruisecritic.com is also helpful selecting these. For a starting point for your group, including a toddler under age 3, I would look at Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) or Disney. We are hoping to try Oasis of the Seas once the hype/prices come down.