PDA

View Full Version : Snow days- when are they making them up?

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Growing up they would pick off things like MLK Jr. day, President's Day (though, I think that back when I was little there was still GW's b-day and AL's b-day), then they went after Easter, then summer. I never went to a school with a spring break growing up. The closest we had was the Thurs, Fri, and Monday around Easter. Thursday and Monday would get picked off for snow, never Friday. After that they started adding on to summer.

I don't know yet what the built in make up days are for ds2's school. It is a charter school and they go longer than the state requirement.

Do you know when your kids will be making up these days?

Beth

o_mom
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Right now we have one extra day in the calendar which was used up. Then we have one Flex Day and then they extend the school year. It is different for elementary, middle and high school though. Somehow MS has more days built in and HS less.

fortato
02-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Last year, we had a TON of snow days... one local town ended up extending the school day by a half an hour for 2 months, just so the kids would be out of school before July 1st.

elizabethkott
02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
We have three built in to the calendar in the district I teach in. Today is my second snow day (in a row!!! It's like Christmas all over again!!!!!) so we're still okay. If we go into our fourth day, they'd start attacking our spring break which falls the last week of March/beginning of April - the week before Easter.

egoldber
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
As of tomorrow, we will have had TEN snow days this year. We only build 3 into the calendar, so as of right now, they have lost President's Day and a teacher work day in April.

They have not announced what the plan is, but if they follow their posted schedule, they will add 2 more days to the calendar, so we will get out June 24 vs June 22.

If there are even more snow days (which is VERY possible), then I don't know what they will do. In the past, they have also lengthened the school day as a PP said.

happymom
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
The school where I teach has NO snow days built in. In the 4 years I've worked there, they have only closed once for snow (this is NYC btw). Until this year- today is my 2nd consecutive day off. I'm trying to enjoy it even though it means they are adding 2 days to the end of the school year! Our last day of teaching was supposed to be Wednesday, 6/24 with teacher's conference day on Thurs, 6/24. Now (so far) we are ending on Friday 6/25 and coming back for conferences on Monday 6/28. Ugh.

aa2mama
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I know we have a few snow days built into the calendar but I'm not sure how many. So far they've added three extra days to the end of the calendar and one that was supposed to be off for P-T conferences since we've used all of our snow days.

DebbieJ
02-11-2010, 10:56 AM
ours are added at the end of the year if needed. so far we haven't had any.

wolverine2
02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
We add them on at the end of the year. DS has had 2 snow days, and now won't get out till June 28th. They can't go past June 30th, so if there were more than 2 more, they'd have to get more creative...

Tinkerbell313
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
For our county in VA, we had extra days built in. Also, there are extra minutes built in on the days the students go to school. We have been off since last Friday and DD will not go back until Tuesday. Some counties are reinstating Presidents Day as a regular school day; ours has not as of yet as we have not used up the snow days (thanks to those extra minutes)

Also, in VA, when a state of emergency has been declared as with two of our snow days, those do not need to be made up.

8VAC20-520-40. Waivers for a Declared State of Emergency.
A. The Board of Education may waive the requirement that school divisions provide
additional teaching days or teaching hours to compensate for closings resulting
from a declared state of emergency.

As of right now, we are getting out June 16th (our school year has not been extended). I am sure we will be seeing more snow days!!

jse107
02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, I'm curious as to what they're going to do! We've used up all our days and are now 5 over!

There are several scenarios that I could see happening:
1. Take away spring break and use those as instructional days.

2. Extend the school day by 15-30 minutes for a period of time to make up the instructional time lost. (Apparently they did this many years ago when they were way over their snow day allotment.)

3. Extend the school year by a week.

4. Combination of the above.

In theory, our Superintendent could ask for waivers for many of the days--before Christmas and this week--due to the State of Emergency. Will he do that? Who knows. It's all about the tests, so in his mind we need all the days and time back in school. He was actually hoping that we'd be back in this past Monday! Hahahahahaha.....

Corie
02-11-2010, 03:09 PM
We don't have any snow days built into our school calendar so our school
year extends into summer to accommodate our snow days.

HIU8
02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Jen,

There was a discussion about this on DC urban moms. I think they were saying something like there would be an additional week added on to the end of the school year. I have no idea if that is correct or not though.

Joolsplus2
02-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm still waiting for a letter home about this. I guess we've missed 6 full days so far, and had 2 days starting two hours late. And more snow scheduled next week... ugh, what a nightmare this must be for the school district, I sort of hope they write the lost days off :tongue5:

jse107
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Heather,
Thanks. It will be interesting what he decides to do! I don't know which option I think would be best!

MoJo
02-12-2010, 08:41 AM
DH's school starts making them up Monday, which is Presidents' Day, and does still stand for GW & AL!

If they have any more snow days, the spring break days will go (but not Good Friday); after that, they stretch the school year into June. (This is the first year in memory that they are scheduled to end at Memorial Day!)

octmom
02-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Today is snow day #10 for our county schools. They had 7 make-up days built into the schedule and just decided last night to take away President's Day (Monday) and the first day of spring break (Good Friday) too. I guess they might write off the 10th day, if they can, along with any more snow days we might have. I'm not sure. I'm in VA, but I had not heard the thing about not counting days that happen when there is a state of emergency that MaddieEthan mentioned above. Right now, the last day of school will be June 17 rather than June 10, as originally planned.

momof2girls
02-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Ours is June 1 and I believe May 28. Those days would have been off had we not just used 2 snow day this week.