PDA

View Full Version : hmm......The Doctors Show

newg
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
so I was actually on here to watch their segment about the Bumbleride Indie (not impressive piece).........and noticed their comments about carseats and RF/FF requirements..........

Have to say I was a little dissapointed in their "old school" message about RF 'till 1.

"Car Seat 101
A child will cycle through several car seats as he or she grows. Parents should use a backward-facing car seat for newborns, which can be used until the baby weighs 20 pounds.

Once the baby outgrows the infant car seat, the next model is a convertible seat. Babies should continue to face backward in this seat until age 1, upon which the seat can be turned to face forward. The convertible car seat can be used until age 4.

The third and final car seat is the booster seat, which should be used until the child turns 8 or weighs 80 pounds.

Pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears demonstrates car seat progression and reminds parents to be sure to purchase car seats that have been tested and approved by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2010, 03:09 PM
:duh: How frustrating.

Beth

DrSally
02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Sometimes their advice is so generic and "party line", I hardly ever learn anything. It's too bad they couldn't have been more up to date on the car seat issue. They could've reached a lot of people. I was pleased that the other day Dr. Jim came out against "baby wise". I would expect him to based on his philosophy, but the docs there often don't take strong stands on things.

AnnieW625
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
so I was actually on here to watch their segment about the Bumbleride Indie (not impressive piece).........and noticed their comments about carseats and RF/FF requirements..........

Have to say I was a little dissapointed in their "old school" message about RF 'till 1.

"Car Seat 101
A child will cycle through several car seats as he or she grows. Parents should use a backward-facing car seat for newborns, which can be used until the baby weighs 20 pounds.

Once the baby outgrows the infant car seat, the next model is a convertible seat. Babies should continue to face backward in this seat until age 1, upon which the seat can be turned to face forward. The convertible car seat can be used until age 4.

The third and final car seat is the booster seat, which should be used until the child turns 8 or weighs 80 pounds.

Pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears demonstrates car seat progression and reminds parents to be sure to purchase car seats that have been tested and approved by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "

The show is produced and taped in CA where 20lbs, and 12 mos. old is the current law.

I did mean to post last week that I noticed that Graco has updated their verbage on seats like the My Ride to stat the AAP recommends keeping children rear facing as long as possible! I saw this on the base of one of their seats at a local baby store :)

Until I came here I didn't know any different and we turned DD around at 22lbs and 12 mos. old. We'll make it to 2 at least for #2 since I now know it's much safer than 1. Can't gaurantee we'll get to 3 in both cars, but I'd like to try for longer in my car at least (DH's Corolla is really small and we have yet to find a large RFing convertable that will fit back there)

newg
02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Until I came here I didn't know any different and we turned DD around at 22lbs and 12 mos. old. We'll make it to 2 at least for #2 since I now know it's much safer than 1. Can't gaurantee we'll get to 3 in both cars, but I'd like to try for longer in my car at least (DH's Corolla is really small and we have yet to find a large RFing convertable that will fit back there)

I agree.....it was here that I learned the reasons behind keeping your DC RF as long as possible............which I am so thankful for!!!
I think most states still have 1yr and 20lbs as the law.............it's just too bad they didn't go with the AAP recomendations :shake:

GraceH
02-12-2010, 09:55 PM
their Facebook profile was swarmed by informed and concerned parents... unfortunately, many of those comments seem to have gotten deleted :13: but some are still there :boogie:
If you would like to add your 'vote' to the show idea suggesting better information, you may do so here: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/produce/idea_comment/4238

DrSally
02-12-2010, 10:13 PM
That's good that their getting some feedback on this. Hopefully they'll do another show on carseats. I find their segments to be so cursory and superficial, that I don't get a ton of real info out of them in general, maybe a tidbit here and there. I was happy that at least they showed the Frontier instead of going from the convertible right to a booster.