PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired too

niccig
02-12-2010, 01:05 AM
DS's class had a field trip today and parents drive. I've room parent and organize the drivers, and assign kids to the cars. Never had a problem until today. One parent let me know late last night she was having car trouble, so I reassigned the kids. One child's booster seat wasn't left with him at school, so rearranged the kids again, so I could use my spare bigger seat. Then one mother says at drop off that she can't drive after all, thankfully another parent volunteers. I rearrange the kids in the cars AGAIN, and I don't get to go grab coffee and breakfast before we leave.

We get to the Valentine's Dance that was hosted by a classmate, and we're having a great time. The mother that told me last minute she couldn't attend, turns up towards the end of the dance. Turns out she was tired and instead of driving like she said she would, she went home to have a nap as she stayed up late last night. Guess what, I could name 3 other parents who are tired and would have loved to have had a nap - I'm one of them as I haven't been sleeping and DS has had nightmares. Two parents have young babies that are not sleeping through the night, and they all drove. OH, she didn't want to waste the entire day with the field trip, well the other 6 parents who drove didn't get to do anything, and half of them work and took the day off, and those that don't work, have things to do as well. If you didn't want to lose the day, then don't sign up in the first place, you knew it would be a 3 hour field trip.

I understand if you're sick or if you have car trouble, but if you say you'll drive on a field trip, you need to not flake on us so you can have a nap and inconvenience another parent who steps in to take your place. The parent who took her place, changed an appointment so the kids could still go on the field trip.

ETA. I know this person, she doesn't have an underlying medical condition like chronic fatigue or anything. She has pulled out of previous field trips, but we had an extra parent coming with that drove instead, so it wasn't a problem. From now on, I won't assign her as a driver if I can help it.

MamaMolly
02-12-2010, 01:44 AM
I think she should top your do not call list. She sounds unreliable and selfish. Hope you get some rest tonight!

TwinFoxes
02-12-2010, 07:41 AM
I think she should top your do not call list. She sounds unreliable and selfish. Hope you get some rest tonight!

:yeahthat: What a sense of entitlement! I can't imagine someone having the nerve to tell you they were napping.

I feel sorry for her DC. I'm sure he's aware that he's an inconvenience.

wellyes
02-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Selfish of her to do it and *really* dumb to admit it. What a fool.

hellokitty
02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
:yeahthat: What a sense of entitlement! I can't imagine someone having the nerve to tell you they were napping.

If I were you, if she volunteers to drive again, I would be sure to mention that there is no last minute ditching allowed for napping. Might be snarky, but this woman seems to be lacking in common sense and consideration of others to the point that she needs a very blatant reminder!

sste
02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I LOVE to nap. I have gone so far as to keep a sleep mat in my lateral file at work!

But even I would not dream of doing that!! You are saintly to switch kids in cars three times.

That one really takes the cake.

KrisM
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
If I were you, if she volunteers to drive again, I would be sure to mention that there is no last minute ditching allowed for napping. Might be snarky, but this woman seems to be lacking in common sense and consideration of others to the point that she needs a very blatant reminder!

Or for any other reason, for that matter!

I can't believe someone would cancel last minute to nap!

Reyadawnbringer
02-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I LOVE to nap. I have gone so far as to keep a sleep mat in my lateral file at work!

But even I would not dream of doing that!! You are saintly to switch kids in cars three times.

That one really takes the cake.

I love that. My coworkers and I use to joke at my last job that we should bring nap mats and blankies to work and curl up under our desks!

deborah_r
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh, field trips WIPE ME OUT! I totally empathize with you and would have been pi$$ed at her too! Can't believe she admitted she ditched to take a nap. Shocking that she thinks she is the only tired one. Oh, and I totally feel you on the coffee. that is my worst thing, when I go on a field trip and run out of time to get coffee before. Then I have a headache most of the day. I find a Coke as soon as I can to try to head off the headache.

I don't like that part of chaperoning field trips (the exhaustion) - it is frustrating to take the day off and be exhausted. But I usually end up having fun. Except a few I took DS1 on when he was 2-3 years old and he wouldn't do anything, like at a splash park and he refuses to go in the water. Grr.

I'm debating whether to go to Chinatown with DS2's class next week. I think we take the city bus and the gold line to get there. (Niccig will know what I'm talking about!) One time we took the city bus, the gold line, and an Amtrak to go to San Juan Capistrano. It was a special Kids n' Trains program.

niccig
02-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't like that part of chaperoning field trips (the exhaustion) - it is frustrating to take the day off and be exhausted. But I usually end up having fun.

I'm debating whether to go to Chinatown with DS2's class next week. I think we take the city bus and the gold line to get there. (Niccig will know what I'm talking about!) One time we took the city bus, the gold line, and an Amtrak to go to San Juan Capistrano. It was a special Kids n' Trains program.

The field trip was fun. Another mother hosted, which was a lot of work for her. All the kids were dressed up - boys had button shirts and ties, girls had on their fancy dresses, tights and nice shoes. They did actually dance. I'm glad I was there, and it was worth the hassle to organize the drivers. Next week we go to Chinatown too, and we're taking the Gold Line. So, I won't have to worry about cars and car seats for that trip.

deborah_r
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Next week we go to Chinatown too, and we're taking the Gold Line. So, I won't have to worry about cars and car seats for that trip.

I was going to say "how strange", but I'm going to guess maybe Chinese New Year next week?

niccig
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I was going to say "how strange", but I'm going to guess maybe Chinese New Year next week?

Yes. The train ride should be fun, and so far we have 15 adults to 17 kids, but I'm sure the number of adults will decrease.

maestramommy
02-12-2010, 04:03 PM
The field trip was fun. Another mother hosted, which was a lot of work for her. All the kids were dressed up - boys had button shirts and ties, girls had on their fancy dresses, tights and nice shoes. They did actually dance. I'm glad I was there, and it was worth the hassle to organize the drivers. Next week we go to Chinatown too, and we're taking the Gold Line. So, I won't have to worry about cars and car seats for that trip.

Wow, you are taking preschool kids on the Gold line? :bowdown: