PDA

View Full Version : Would you move to be closer to a highway?

Nechums
02-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Just curious -- would you change communities just to be 20 minutes closer to a highway? (Assuming all other factors are equal)

wellyes
02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
All other factors being equal? No way. Moving alone is not worth the hassle.

But we did move in order to be in a commuting-friendly town that cut 40 minutes off *both* our daily commutes and it was a GREAT decision. And DH always looks at quick highway access whenever we move (3 times now). We both grew up in the country - as in, 20+ minute drive to get a newspaper - and hated it. Commuting is a dreadful waste of time IMO.

WatchingThemGrow
02-12-2010, 09:10 AM
long-term, yes, short-term, no. Depending on how long the situation would be 1-2years probably not worth the move. Longer than that, I would. We will only look at houses on one side of our town b/c of DH's commute to the next town. We would rather have him with us that extra 30 min/day than have him winding through to get to us.

JTsMom
02-12-2010, 09:12 AM
It depends. If it was a commute issue, and would shorten that time by 20 minutes or more, absolutely. DH has had commutes that varied between 10 minutes and an hour and a half plus. We will never willingly live more than a half an hour from his job again.

sunshine873
02-12-2010, 09:14 AM
long-term, yes, short-term, no.

:yeahthat: I love our neighborhood to death, and we're not going to be moving. But it takes me 25 minutes to get to the closest Wal-Mart & grocery store. 30 minutes to any restaurants. 40 minutes to Target.

I kind of liked it at first, but now it's a real hassle. Especially with DD. Since it's at least an hour drive (round trip) to get anywhere, I want to pile all my errands together. But trying to fit all of that around naps is nearly impossible. Ugh.

Next house we'll definitely be taking that into consideration.

mecawa
02-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, yes, yes!!!! Luckily I don't have to, we are 5 min. from the highway, although DH still has a 1 1/2 hour commute to work. We almost had to move out of state a few years back however, and that was a huge sticking point for us when choosing a community, we didn't want it to take 20 minutes just to get to a highway.

egoldber
02-12-2010, 10:18 AM
In an urban area, absolutely. Proximity to highways was one of the most important factors in our housing choice. Our proximity to the highway makes a huge difference in my commute. My 35-40 minute commute could easily be a 60+ minute commute if we lived even 6 blocks further away from the freeway.

jess_g
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
No, but we did move when the kids were little (before they started school) to be closer to the inlaws and the train station. Both have been a huge plus to our life. My dh takes the train every day to work and I take it with my ds for docters appointments in the city. And my inlaws have been a big help to us with babysitting and school pickups. I think it depends on how the highway will help you. I think in this economy it also depends if you have a house to sell before you move. Many houses in our area are finaly selling after a long time on the market.

Jessica.

kozachka
02-12-2010, 11:37 PM
You need to do a basic cost benefit analysis. Do you rent or own? How often do you use the highway? How much time would you save per month/year/time at your residence?

I would move if I were renting (and my lease was up) and I were to save substantial amount of time. I would be less likely to move if I owned and was not using the highway too often.