PDA

View Full Version : Starting to Look at Convertible Car Seats...

alexa
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I am starting to look at convertible car seats for our daughter. She is currently 5 1/2 months old and was 26 inches at her 4 month checkup! Since she will soon outgrow her Graco Snugride32 (lengthwise), I want to do research now and hopefully catch a good sale or coupon code.

I was thinking about the Britax Boulevard. We always used Britax for our son, and he's currently in the Frontier. I have been reading recent threads here though, and I see many are recommending the True Fit (including Jules!).

What other seats should I consider in addition to the Boulevard and True Fit?

Thank you in advance to all my fellow car seat maniacs :-)

KrisM
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
The height isn't outgrown until there is less than an inch of shell above the head, regardless of actual height of the child. So, you might have more time than you think.

I'd also consider the Radian, since it rear-faces to 45 lbs now.

Joolsplus2
02-12-2010, 12:07 PM
:yeahthat:

You have lots of time to try to track down a True Fit or Radian in real life, hopefully try them in your car, too. But if you are just overall happy with the Boulevard and want to go that direction again, at least you know exactly what to expect, nothing wrong with sticking with the tried-and-true, IMO :)

arivecchi
02-12-2010, 12:39 PM
The Boulevard is great. I would also check out the TrueFit and a Radian XTSL though.

indigo99
02-13-2010, 05:57 PM
The height isn't outgrown until there is less than an inch of shell above the head, regardless of actual height of the child. So, you might have more time than you think.

I'm also starting to look at convertibles even though I have the snugride 32, and my son is just 27" now (5.5 mo.). I was wondering how many months we have left and whether it's better to go ahead and get one while there's a britax sale or to just wait and hope to find a good buy later.

I've always heard that the straps that go around the top of the shoulder should go straight back or up a little before threading into the seat. If they have to go down any (around the back of the child) then the seat is too small.

HIU8
02-13-2010, 06:43 PM
RF straps need to be at or below a child's shoulders. FF is at or above the shoulders. In an infant seat (or any RF seat) you really should not move the straps up to the next slot until the child's shoulders are about even with the slot. the seat is outgrown when there is 1 inch or less of seat shell above a baby's head.

FWIW, DD was 14 months when she outgrew her SafeSeat (which is the snugride 32). A number of people on this board have had their children in the seat at 18 months or older.

GraceH
02-13-2010, 07:17 PM
RF straps need to be at or below a child's shoulders. FF is at or above the shoulders. In an infant seat (or any RF seat) you really should not move the straps up to the next slot until the child's shoulders are about even with the slot. the seat is outgrown when there is 1 inch or less of seat shell above a baby's head.

Facing Behind = Straps Below
Facing Ahead = Straps Above
(so it sounds like you may actually have to move your straps down a slot)

This is a great pic tutorial on measuring shell height: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

FWIW, we made age 2 in our larger Graco infant seat :thumbsup:

Joolsplus2
02-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Facing Behind = Straps Below
Facing Ahead = Straps Above

:bighand:

I LOVE this, did you make it up? Can I steal it?

GraceH
02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
:bighand:

I LOVE this, did you make it up? Can I steal it?

:thanks:I think I made it up - told it to a few friends and family when helping adjust harness settings - I find that it makes things so much easier to remember. Sure you can steal it! (PS - I'm still waiting for a class near me so that I can 'officially' tell other parents this)

indigo99
02-17-2010, 02:57 AM
In an infant seat (or any RF seat) you really should not move the straps up to the next slot until the child's shoulders are about even with the slot.

Wow. That's good to know. I didn't think that there would be a difference in RF and FF. His shoulders are just little higher than the current slot. So I shouldn't move the straps up to the next slot until the shoulders are almost even with the NEW slot?

GraceH
02-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow. That's good to know. I didn't think that there would be a difference in RF and FF. His shoulders are just little higher than the current slot. So I shouldn't move the straps up to the next slot until the shoulders are almost even with the NEW slot?

Yep, no moving until they're even with the next slot (prevents them sliding upward in the event of a crash to have the straps at or below when RF)