PDA

View Full Version : Post Partum Period--Buy new clothes or wait?

ExcitedMamma
02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I had my baby 5 weeks ago and I am only up about 8 pounds from my pre-preg weight and my waist and hips are back to my pre-preg size inches wise BUT my pre-preg jeans are leaving me with that squishy muffin top. I am breast feeding which I know is supposed to really help you get back in shape and I'm hoping to get cleared to start working out again next week. So should I just keep wearing the maternity jeans and hope that the squishy belly goes away (or at least gets smaller) or is this as good as it gets and I should get new jeans? What can I expect with the deflated belly? Thanks!

Andi98989
02-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Personally, I couldn't wait to get out of my maternity jeans. Early in my pregnancy I had purchased a pair of jeans a size or two bigger than my pre-pregnancy jeans. I put those on as soon as I could get back into them.

maylips
02-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Congrats! (on the baby and weight loss)

I think it depends on the person - I never lose my baby weight until after I'm done breast feeding, so I hang onto weight for at least a year. I wore my maternity pants for a long time since I never dropped as fast as you.

So, saying all of that, it sounds like your body will bounce back fairly quickly. I'd hold off spending money buying great jeans. You may want a pair of cheap ones to hold you through this time if your maternity jeans are too big, but don' commit to "forever" pants at this point. Your body is still changing daily.

pastrygirl
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
I bought new at around that time, because I was tired of feeling frumpy. I got some inexpensive clothing at Old Navy. Now, at 5 months pp, the pants are all too big, but at least I didn't spend a lot! The tops still fit.

SnuggleBuggles
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Get new jeans but don't spend a lot. You'll likely change size and shape again in the coming months so don't waste money.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I'd get some new ones (I never spend that much anyway) because if this is your first DC and you plan to have more, you'll likely wear them again on your way up or down. I actually bought two pairs at different times in different sizes, but I got some from a neighbor who had lost a lot of weight, then a friend who was done having kids. She gave me her cast offs she bought to tide her over.

citymama
02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
That in-between phase was during the summer-time in my case. I absolutely needed something since I didn't want to wear maternity and couldn't fit into regular jeans. So I bought a bunch of stretchy waist things that I was able to wear for quite a while - didn't do jeans. I just went to Old Navy and Target to get some inexpensive stuff - yoga pants, skirts, capris. I think you deserve it!

I was back into my regular jeans by about 4-5 months post-partum but YMMV. As my midwife at the time said, you have your pre-baby body, your pregnant body and your post-baby body and one thing's for sure - not one of them is just like the other! Learn to love them all. ;)

csnoop
02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I recommend some yoga pants or pants w/stretchy bands. They tend to be more accommodating for a wider range of weight. I think they hide the deflated (or inflated in my case as I am prego) belly better. With my DD, I actually lost more weight breastfeeding than the weight I started w/pre-pregnancy. But unfortunately, it all came back (& some more) after I stopped breastfeeding for about 6 months.

CC

mskitty
02-12-2010, 10:58 PM
So, saying all of that, it sounds like your body will bounce back fairly quickly. I'd hold off spending money buying great jeans. You may want a pair of cheap ones to hold you through this time if your maternity jeans are too big, but don' commit to "forever" pants at this point. Your body is still changing daily.

Ditto to this. I bought 3 new nonmaternity tops to tide me over and 2 pairs of new inexpensive jeans as things were in different places postpartum. It made a huge difference to me to feel like something fit properly when going out in public.

mskitty

kansasbug
02-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Agree with other posters. Buy yourself a nice pair of jeans one size larger to tide you over -- but, sounds like you will be back in your pre-pregnancy jeans quickly. I breastfed and was back in my jeans in about 6 weeks -- but wore maternity jeans up until that point. Everyone is different. :)

ExcitedMamma
02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone!! :bowdown: I just don't understand what's going on with my body. I can button up my jeans but they look awful with the squishy belly and my boobs are enormous so all my tops are too small and short now. When can I expect some positive changes?

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2010, 05:34 PM
The boobs will likely settle down by the 3m mark if you keep nursing, at least that was my experience (I think it was closer to 2m with one of them). The squishy belly? Well, that will take a bit longer maybe. You just never know! Everyone's body reacts differently. I think your fitness level prior and your age have something to do with how quick you will bounce back. LOL about the too short tops as that was a Lounge discussion just last week- a common problem!

Work with what you have. Hopefully you'll start to see positive changes all the time. be patient and gentle with yourself now. Your goal is to survive at this point with a newborn!

Beth