PDA

View Full Version : Anyone walk two dogs plus two kids in a stroller at the same time?

elektra
02-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I used to walk our dogs with DD in her MBUS, but it just seems like too much to me now with the two dogs PLUS the two kids in the BOB Duallie. I feel like I can't control everyone properly and I get really nervous every time I see a dog off-leash which happens quite often, even though I am just on "regular" neighborhood streets.
Am I being too anxious? Does anyone else swing this kind of set up?
It has been difficult for DH or I to find time to walk the dogs enough.

sunshine873
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I only have DD (so no double stroller.) But I've found that the key for happy dog walking (2 large dogs) is that the dogs are not allowed to walk in front of the stroller. They can be next to it or behind it. I have them on a double leash and they're both on the same side of the stroller. It works out pretty well for us when they have to be on leash.

The true best is when they can be off-leash. For some reason, they're perfectly happy to stay right next to the stroller and since they don't have a leash on, they're not fighting to pull-away. Weird dog psychology.

arivecchi
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
That sounds like more than a handful. Can DH come along so he handles the dogs and you handle the kids or vice versa?

smiles33
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
No, I don't think you're being too anxious at all. I don't even walk 1 dog (a 10 pound terrier) with my 2 girls because I can't predict how other dogs will react. He's got a Napoleon complex, so it's not like he'd back down if an off-leash dog approached us. I only walk him when I know I can scoop him up if a strange dog comes toward us. Thus, if I bring both girls to our neighborhood park and DH can't come, our dog stays home. If I bring just 1 girl (like the baby in a carrier or DD1 on her tricycle), I'd bring him. Sorry that's not helpful with your issue of getting your dogs more exercise. DH will chase our dog around the house sometimes when we haven't had a chance to walk him. He also has a doggy door to come in and out as he pleases.

Melaine
02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Gee whiz. I cannot walk my two in the BJ with our smallish beagle on a leash. No way, I have tried. I guess if you have a good "walking" neighborhood, then maybe. We don't even have sidewalks so it is tricky strolling even without the dog.

chozen
02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
we have two large dogs but i only walk one at a time with a stroller, i make the dogs take turns one day one dog the next time the other dog.

BigDog
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I can't really give you any advice as I only have one dog and one kid, but I applaud your determination! I have a St. Bernard that thrives on his 2 walks/day. Putting DS in his stroller and going out for our daily dog walks has, for the most part, been manageable up until now, but I think only because our dog is pretty mellow. Still I get nervous. I'm at the point now where DS doesn't want to be in his stroller anymore, so I've attempted a few walks without it, and I survived, but it was a bit nerve-racking. Especially because DS and the pooch are both super stubborn. With DC2 on the way, I'm already thinking about how I'll be able to manage 1 big dog and 2 kids. I'm happy to hear that it can be done! Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but good luck!

trales
02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Single stroller, two dogs, one crazy lab on a leash walking in a zig zag pattern. One really well behaved Newf off leash walking on my heal.

I really think it depends on the dog.

Momof3Labs
02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
When we just had DS1, I walked two big dogs (Labs) with the single stroller a lot. The dogs were very, very good on the leash so it worked - ITA that you can't let the dogs in front of the stroller. They need to stay in heel position beside the stroller or beside you.

Our current dog is awful on the leash, even when it is just you and her. So she doesn't really get walked, poor pup.

AnnieW625
02-12-2010, 06:09 PM
DH won't take DD in the Vista or the Dreamer Design Jogger and have the dog on a leash by himself. We both have to go. Our dog would be great off the leash if there weren't soo many other dogs in our neighborhood. Could you try someplace like Irvine trails off of Culver, between Culver and Yale.

elektra
02-12-2010, 06:27 PM
That sounds like more than a handful. Can DH come along so he handles the dogs and you handle the kids or vice versa?

Well this is sort of an "issue" between us. Let's just say that if the dogs are to be walked, it's probably going to be by me. DH does take them on occasion to run off leash at the school across the street when it's deserted, but it's not a daily thing.
I really wish he would just do it at night, without kids. I would do it at night (and I have) but I just don't feel safe (no sidewalks, no streetlights, coyotes (slim chance but possible), attackers, etc.)
But since he is not doing that, I'm trying to find a way I can make it happen.

arivecchi
02-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I would say to DH: Honey, walk the dogs or I am hiring a dog walker. :D

doberbrat
02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
I've walked 3 dogs w/a pram - prob as unwieldy as a double ....its annoying at times. mostly I wear dd b/c managing the dogs & stroller gets a bit much esp w/loading and unloading.

the key of course is getting everyone sufficiently trained to walk well together on 1 side of the stroller - not infront or between you & the stroller. but that doesnt help the immediate problem of course.

could you head for somewhere where there are no loose dogs? thats always trouble if your dogs are leashed.

otherwise, is mace an option? you could then run the dogs at night?

jenfromnj
02-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I did, one time (with DS and my niece, with my sister's Valco Trimode)--never again! Though I have to say, I agree that it depends on the dogs--in my case, one of the dogs was my parents' very lovable but impossibly badly behaved Lab.

I definitely don't think it's unreasonable at all for you to think it's too much. Has your DH ever tried to accomplish the 2 kids/2 dogs walking feat? I think (if your DH is anything like mine) this is one of those instances where, if he tried it just once, he'd understand your issue.

twowhat?
02-12-2010, 11:00 PM
LOL!!! I do EXACTLY this, every day morning and evening (weather permitting) with two large dogs. I use the BJCED (though I don't think it matters). Here's what I do:

The dogs are trained to walk one on my left and one on my right (my male dog, the marker, gets the left side because then he can reach all the trees from the sidewalk). I wrap each leash around my hands and then hold the handlebar at the corners and I go. We take up the ENTIRE sidewalk, no wiggle room, yet both dogs insist on walking RIGHT next to the stroller. Yes, they get all muddy when the tires kick up mud on a wet day. They are not allowed to cross paths (i.e. male must stay on left, female must stay on right). I keep their leashes shortened up enough to prevent that.

It may sound like I have perfect dogs, and I do when there are NO distractions. They will sit and stay so I can pick up their poop. NEVER tie the dogs leashes to the stroller itself. When I'm picking up poop I ask for a sit/stay, then just drape the leashes over the handlebar to keep them off the ground (and easy for me to pick back up).

But if there are kids (one of my dogs is terrified) or other dogs (my male dog insists on showing who's boss), or a squirrel, or rabbit, things can get ugly. I keep my eyes peeled. If I see another dog, we cross the street and walk on the other side. It also helps to walk much faster - it forces my dogs to pick up the pace to keep up and helps to distract them. It also lessens any time for aggression to build up. If there are kids, I just go fast past them. It just looks like I'm running with my stroller and two dogs LOL. If there is a squirrel or rabbit, I will actually stop and put the stroller brakes on, and keep firm hold on both dogs with my hands until distraction has passed. Cats, UGH. I just have to hold tight and go fast (since darned cat will just sit there and provoke GRRR)! But my girls LOVE when I run.

Yes, it takes practice. But it is do-able, for sure. My male dog wears a head halter (gentle leader) because he is bigger and stronger and more apt to aggression when he sees another dog. It helps a lot in terms of being able to control him.

ETA: we rarely have loose dogs in the neighborhood but if we did, it really depends on your dogs. My male shows aggression but has never bitten. He just wants to act like top dog. My female loves all other dogs. But my feeling is if your dog bites an off-leash dog, whose fault is that? :) Try the head halter and be sure to adjust it properly- that might be your best bet for maintaining control.