PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Torch Relay photos

bubbaray
02-12-2010, 05:18 PM
OK, I'm pretty vocal with my opposition to being a host city of the Olympics (FTR, I am a HUGE Olympics fan, I just don't think *we* should have hosted).

However, the Olympic Torch Relay (which we saw twice) was REALLY inspiring. Check out the photos here:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/more-2010-information/olympic-torch-relay/torch-relay-photos/torch-relay-photo-gallery_183746Fh.html

Today, Arnold Schwarzenager (sp?) ran (and got mobbed), as did Wayne Gretzky's dad. Yesterday, Sarah McLaughlin, Michael Buble, Steve Nash (NBA player). Lots of famous people in those photos if you click through. Lots of normal, everyday people too, which is really neat.

The torch has been on land, on rail, in boats (in a First Nations longboat yesterday IIRC) and on a ski gondola (yesterday, up Grouse mountain -- the torch bearers rode on the outside, top of the gondola -- very very high off the ground!). ETA -- it even journeyed briefly into the US -- the big white arch in the photos is the Peace Arch border crossing between Surrey, BC and Blaine WA.

The whole thing is really cool!

mommyp
02-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Those are great pictures, thanks for posting the link! I'm looking forward to watching at least some of the opening ceremonies tonight. I love the Winter Olympics!

MontrealMum
02-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks for posting! We went to see it in Westmount as it went through. DH's cousin is a CC there. Great to see the other pics from around the country. Who's your bet for final torchbearer? I've heard Gretzky, but also Terry Fox's mom?

Nice to see the Big Owe being used ;) considering the snow situation, I'm thinking Q.C. might have been a better choice, but we'll see. Very excited to introduce DS to all this.

bubbaray
02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
John Furlong was on Global National last night and said it wasn't Gretzky, which is too bad.

I had actually thought the final torch bearer would be Rick Hansen, the man in motion (in the wheelchair). I though it would be a nice "circle" to have had Sam Sullivan (former mayor, the guy in the wheelchair who took the flag at the end of Torino) in a wheelchair and then Rick Hansen. They both have done a ton of raising the profile of the Paralympics.

Terry Fox's dad ran with the torch this morning after Arnie. They said Betty was going to run too, but not sure.

Yesterday, Furlong said that everyone would be surprised. I don't think Betty Fox (or Gretzky) would surprise anyone, so maybe its a complete no-name? Like they did in Calgary (I think it was an unknown 12 year old).

I have no idea. My vote was for Rick Hansen.

MontrealMum
02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
oh yes, Rick Hansen would be a great choice! I totally agree. Will be interesting to see who they choose, then.

StantonHyde
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm telling ya, Melissa. By the time these games are half way over, you will love it :-) At our local supermarket, an employee was getting autographs from people from every country. (and we were not exactly in the thick of things in this neighborhood--I think people were seeking out more peaceful places to shop :-) ) It's stuff like that that makes the Games fun.

elektra
02-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I like the torch too. Who could forget when Muhammad Ali was holding it in Atlanta? (Tears in my eyes!)
A co-worker friend of mine carried it part of the way for Salt Lake. Her husband was killed in 9/11, and that was basically how she got selected to do it. She had lots of people cheering her on. It was inspiring.

graciebellesmomma
02-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Wonderful pictures!~
Kind of takes my breath away.

My friend carried the torch in Whistler, last Saturday.
Such an honor and the pictures that she shared made
me get all teary eyed!

MontrealMum
02-13-2010, 01:28 AM
The Great One, along with a lot of other greats - including Rick Hansen :yay: Such a great show :jammin: