PDA

View Full Version : Do you or your DH wear a suit to work?

WatchingThemGrow
02-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Driving home from the gym (hot tub ritual for us) DH said that the people who live in the nice neighborhoods we passed through most likely wore suits to work. We looked around ours (in our heads) and we're pretty sure no one in ours wears a suit to work. It's kinda weird.

Do you wear one? Does your husband/wife? Do your neighbors?

daisymommy
02-12-2010, 11:27 PM
It's required wear for DH, along with a tie. He works in finances.

Edited to add that many, many people around here (Northern Virginia, outside of DC) wear suits--both men and women.

MamaMolly
02-12-2010, 11:29 PM
It depends on where DH is working. Currently he does not wear suits because we are in a very informal area. Prior to this he wore one every day. When we move for his job again we'll have to see!

When I was a teacher I rarely to never wore a suit. I think I only own about 4, mostly for interviews, funerals and those businessy kinds of occasions that would crop up. Now as a SAHM I don't think I've had one on in years!

trales
02-12-2010, 11:31 PM
DH does about half the time, law.

I never do, gotta love academia.

kijip
02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
My husband and I both own a fair number of suits. My husband used to work in a major department store and often wore a suit. I used to work for an old fashioned charitable organization with most of the donors being 60+ and I often had need to wear a suit.

Now my husband works in a pharmacy and never wears a suit, that would be very weird. He usually wears a shirt and tie and a sweater.

I work at a very progressive non-profit and advocacy organization. I had to dress down my wardrobe considerably and I am still the fanciest dressed person in the office by far. The 50 year old ED wears a baseball hat, keen knockoffs, a sweatshirt and ripped jeans everyday. When he has appointments with elected officials and the media, he dresses up by changing that to a baseball hat, keen knockoffs, a sweater and black khaki weight pants. So no, I do not wear a suit. If I did, everyone on staff would think I was job searching or something. I usually wear jeans and a cardigan. I am on the management team of 5 and we have a total staff of 16. Flip flops are not uncommon. My adaptation is a work in progress. Today I wore a baseball cap.

We live in a nice house and have a nice income. Many of our friends have similar incomes or just a bit lower or higher but I don't think any of them wears a suit. Lots of medical, teaching, engineering and computer jobs...not a lot of suits. Oh wait, the political/lawyer sorts wear suits sometimes I guess.

crl
02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
DH does sometimes--maybe 25% of the time? (Law) When I worked, as an attorney, I wore one when I went to court or had an important meeting (political appointees, embassy staff, etc)--maybe 10% of the time?

Catherine

BabyMine
02-12-2010, 11:43 PM
DH works as an IT analyst. I don't think anyone in IT wears a suit. I have never worn a suit only scrubs and a lab coat. DH has never worn a suit. We live in an high middle to high high income and I don't see suits that much. But I don't think I ever really paid attention.

Indianamom2
02-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Dh does every day (attorney). We live in a nice upper-middle class subdivision, but it's made up of a very wide variety of professionals. (I've heard lots of young doctors and lawyers.) Our next door neighbors, though, are a school bus driver/Fed Ex man and a teacher.

SnuggleBuggles
02-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Computer guy for a dh...I'm happy when he wears jeans without holes to work. :) (As soon as his jeans get holes they go out of rotation but every so often he wears them).

Suits don't seem to be req'd clothes on my block. Just nice, professional as far as I can tell.
Beth

elephantmeg
02-13-2010, 12:01 AM
not us. DH wears khakis and a knit polo. I wear scrubs or cords and a shirt (if I'm in a meeting or teaching a class)

jgenie
02-13-2010, 01:06 AM
DH wears one every day - NYC financial field. I don't think I own one anymore - SAHM. We are in a neighborhood with quite a few older retired people - I doubt very many wear suits.

salsah
02-13-2010, 01:22 AM
only bank tellers wear suits in our area. neither of us would ever wear a suit, not even to an interview. although if any of my clients had worn suits, i would have had to wear a suit too.

MontrealMum
02-13-2010, 02:39 AM
For both of us, sometimes, yes. But not terribly often. For me, if I'm actually "at work" rather than working from home, pretty much anything goes as long as I don't look like an undergrad, LOL. Think jeans and a nicer sweater/shoes as the minimum. For DH, he dresses in a sports coat, dress shirt/pants and tie every day, but very rarely a full-on suit.

citymama
02-13-2010, 03:17 AM
We both work at the most casual of workplaces. Seriously, shorts and sandals in the summer kind of places. I do own a suit or two, but they get aired out maybe twice a year. I could never wear a suit to work every day!

niccig
02-13-2010, 03:22 AM
DH works in the Entertainment Industry. Jeans and t-shirt and flip flops is perfectly fine...DH wears keens instead of flip flops. If he worked at a studio, he would need to be more business casual, but still no suits.

I worked at a university and nice casual clothes were fine - leather flip flops were fine in summer with a skirt or pants. I only wore a suit at the interview.

nfowife
02-13-2010, 03:54 AM
My DH is in the Navy, so he wears a uniform every day. He is a pilot, so most of the time he wears a flight suit which is like giant zip-up pajamas. Right now he is at a desk job and not flying, so he wears his khaki uniform which is kind of suit-like but no jacket.

WatchingThemGrow
02-13-2010, 08:28 AM
My DH is in the Navy, so he wears a uniform every day. He is a pilot, so most of the time he wears a flight suit which is like giant zip-up pajamas.
Love the description :ROTFLMAO:

DH says he is the dressiest person in his IT office, by far. That would be an old EB polo, Columbia pants and lace up Merrells. He says the guys he work with look quite grungy all the time. Our area is largely IT/univ/medical/small business, so it kinda fits with the descriptions of what you guys are saying.

wellyes
02-13-2010, 08:39 AM
I have to wear a suit occasionally. Managers in my field do (finance). I'd estimate that "wear a suit everyday" jobs start at $95K which is more than my mommytrack job pays. Oh, an executive secretaries. An some low-level customer-facing jobs require them.

DH is an engineer and wears khakis or jeans.

octmom
02-13-2010, 08:41 AM
DH and I both work in central administrative offices at a university. I wear suits sometimes, when I have certain meetings or events to attend. Most of the time, I wear business casual. I used to wear suits all the time, but I definitely slacked off in my wardrobe when I was pregnant and that continued afterward. I lost some weight last summer and bought a few new suits, so I started wearing them more often again. Then I kept losing weight and those suits are too big now, but I can still get by with a couple of them if I pin the waistline and cover it up. LOL

DH wears khakis and a shirt and tie every day. He sometimes wears a blazer, but not always. Once in a blue moon, he will wear a suit, but that is rare.

In the administrative offices where we work, some people wear suits every day, but many do not. Wardrobes are all over the spectrum from more formal business wear to very casual across the university.

egoldber
02-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I would only wear a suit if I had to give a major presentation or had an interview. ;) This was also true when I was a manager in biotech.

DH is a consultant/lobbyist. When he has meetings in DC with members of congress and federal agency higher ups, then he wears a suit. Otherwise no.

mommylamb
02-13-2010, 09:18 AM
I often do, but only on days when I have meetings that matter. Other days I wear slacks and sweaters or skirts and blouses, etc. Though, yesterday I went in wearing jeans and winter boots, and I don't care (and neither does my boss-- lots of people didn't come in anyway and I only had work to do in the office).

My last job I had to wear suits every day. They had a strict dress policy (things like no open toe sandals in the summer, which I found annoying). It's nice to not have to wear suits every day.

DH never has to wear suits. He would hate to have to do that. He has actually asked me if he "really has to" wear a tie when we've gone to weddings.

mctlaw
02-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I wear a suit, but on averge only twice a week when going to court, making a presentation, or meeting with a client.

JTsMom
02-13-2010, 09:24 AM
DH-Tie, yes. Suit, no. Unless he was going on an interview. I don't really know many of our neighbors yet, but I doubt any of them wear suits to work regularly. I know we do have a military family, so maybe a dress uniform.

I'm a SAHM. Unless matching pj's count as a suit, no, never. ;)

mecawa
02-13-2010, 09:25 AM
My DH wears a suit to work. I'm a SAHM so I don't. When I was working I was a K teacher so I didn't wear a suit.

g-mama
02-13-2010, 09:31 AM
My dh is an attorney but only wears suits on days when he has meetings with certain clients. Usually, he wears slacks and a dress shirt, sometimes with a jacket, sometimes with a sweater or sweater vest. Often on Fridays, he'll wear nice jeans or corduroys instead of slacks.

Twoboos
02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
If DH wore a suit to work, everyone would think he was interviewing somewhere!! He usually wears khaki's/pants, button down shirt and sweater.

When I used to work in high tech, no. WHen I used to work in real estate, sometimes. When I now work as SAHM - NEVER!!

lowrioh
02-13-2010, 09:49 AM
I never wear a suit....I used to have one for conferences/presentations but now I just go in nice slacks and a blouse or twin set. I'm often in jeans and t-shirt under my lab coat. In my job, I don't even expect a job candidate to wear a suit, although they mostly do.
DH - Never. He is a SAHD and his uniform is cargo pants and a sweater. When he was lecturing he basically wore the same thing.

lizzywednesday
02-13-2010, 10:18 AM
No suits at my job, no suits at DH's job.

Technically, we both have the same dress code (business casual) but it's actually enforced at his office.

I could show up in pajamas and nobody would bat an eyelash. My typical work outfit is a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. (Though I've been dressing better lately because of all the super-cute maternity tops I've had to buy!)

If he showed up in pajamas, they'd ask him to change clothes. His typical work outfit is khakis or slacks, a button down or polo and (G-d help me) a sweater vest, which he wears with dress shoes. On Fridays, he can wear jeans.

ilfaith
02-13-2010, 10:40 AM
DH spends about 50% of his time working from home...frequently in his underwear. On a good day he'll put on a golf shirt and cargo shorts or khakis.

The other 50% of the time he's on the road. If he's just going to the home office and has no important meetings, he'll wear a button down shirt and pants. For meetings or visits to clients/customers he'll put on a suit.

newg
02-13-2010, 02:57 PM
DH has to, he works in outside sales with doctor offices..............where we live now, it's mixed (only one of our immediate neighbors wears one on a daily basis) and in our old neighborhood down the street he was probably one of the only ones.

I only have suits for interviews and funerals.

hillview
02-13-2010, 02:57 PM
We do on occasion. When I travel for work usually I wear a suit. When DH has important meetings /travels he does. The rest of the time I am at home in slacker clothes. DH wears something nice enough at work every day. (dress shirt with dress pants).
/hillary

vludmilla
02-13-2010, 02:58 PM
No suit wearing here as psychologists though I have known a few colleagues to wear them but most do not. A couple of neighbors seem to wear suits as they walk to the train.

bubbaray
02-13-2010, 03:01 PM
I wear a suit, but on averge only twice a week when going to court.

:yeahthat:

LarsMal
02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
DH wears a suit/tie every day. I think they technically have casual Fridays (no jeans), but he rarely gets to take part.

khalloc
02-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I never do.I work at a university and dress is extremely casual.

DH only does on rare occassions, like a customer is in the office. He works at a software company.

TonFirst
02-13-2010, 04:55 PM
My husband does nearly every weekday (attorney). I participate in televised meetings every two weeks, and I wear a suit for those, but otherwise for work stuff I'm either in jeans and a nice top or some nice slacks and a top - business casual, I guess.

StantonHyde
02-13-2010, 10:38 PM
DH wears scrubs every day. Why wear any clothes from home when people are just going to puke/poop/bleed on you all day? I work in a psych hospital and we try to be a little more casual to be more approachable. So the Exec Director wears a shirt and tie, but leaves the jacket in his office.

shawnandangel
02-13-2010, 10:53 PM
DH is a computer programmer. He does not wear a suit. His wardrobe consists of Brooks Brothers outlet black or navy pants coupled with a Brooks Brother's outlet button up "casual" shirt.

I buy all of DH's clothing for work and asked them one day the difference between a dress shirt and a casual because I really couldn't tell. Something about the collar. . . lol I'm so clueless!

When I worked I wore scrubs everyday, now I'm back in school and SAHM so the most professional thing I wear is a lab coat to my microbiology lab!

Andi98989
02-14-2010, 06:40 AM
DH and I both wear jeans to work a majority of the time; he's in IT and I'm a paralegal. Love that our firm lets us wear jeans any day. If you see a suit in our office, we're going to court (rare!), on a job interview, or going to a funeral. I had to go to a hearing this week and literally had to dust off my suit. LOL!

kozachka
02-14-2010, 02:09 PM
I am currently looking for a job so don't have to wear a suit every day other than for job interviews. In my last job as strategy consultant I had to wear suits 4 days a week and on Fridays, if I were working from a client's oIffice, or if we had clients in the office. I did not mind it too much, it's easier to get dressed in the morning/shop than for a business casual office. The group at the hi-tech company that I am currently interviewing with and hoping to get a job at seems to have a smart business casual dress code (all the guys that interviewed me were wearing suit pants and dress shirts). They work a lot with executives, so I am not sure if they have to wear a suit for meetings with them (and just have a jacket and tie in a closet), but I have plenty of suits in my closet that I can wear on those days.

DH is in the legal field and wears suit and tie 4 days a week as well, and on Fridays if we has a client meeting. It's his own small business, so if he does not feel like showing up at work or wearing a suit, he does not have to and has been known to take advantage of this perk.

People in our apartment complex do not wear suits for work for most part. Business casual is the norm, with many variations on the 'casual' part of it.

MelissaTC
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
DH wore a suit once and that was for his interview. He works in the tech industry. His "uniform" consists of khakis or dark jeans, polo shirts, button down shirts and maybe a sweater vest or a sports jacket if he is feeling snazzy or has a presentation. He is generally overdressed compared to his co-workers. We live in an area that is dominated by the tech industry so most people dress like him.

My neighbors include doctors, lawyers, federal employees, teachers, etc... The only people I ever see in suits are the lawyers. The guy across the street is in the military and sometimes he is all dressed up in uniform but other than that, everyone else looks business casual.