PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Omega Convertible Car Seat

jelbert005
02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I am starting to look for a convertible car seat. Would anyone recommend this car seat? If not, which one would you recommend? The car seat will either be in a Yukon, Silverado or possibly a Prism.

mom2binsd
02-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Can you give us a little more info

age, height and weight of child

will there be more children along the way who the seat will be passed down to

budget

if the seat will be moved between vehicles frequently

GraceH
02-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Generally, it is not a seat I would recommend
I have had oodles of problems trying to get a good RF install, but I don't believe I've tried to install in any of the vehicles you own.
Don't think that you'll be able to use it as a booster down the line, as it will most likely expire before your child is ready, and on the majority of children, the belt path is dangerously high, positioning the belt over the abdominal organs (not the things you want forces applied to in a crash).
Some of the models only harness to 40pounds, which at that weight limit, for a budget seat, I would go with the Scenera (~$45) or Avenue (a Scenera with padding, ~$80).
If you really want the AOE, I would go with the 50 pound harness for sure... otherwise, great seats that retail under $200 are (prices just retail & sales guesstimates - others will be able to help more once you have it narrowed down):
Graco MyRide65 (ret. $150, sales $110),
Evenflo Triumph Advance (50lb version, ret. $140, sales $100),
Britax Roundabout50 (not just 'roundabout', ret. $199, sales $150),
First Years True Fit (original version, ret. $180, sales $140)

Joolsplus2
02-13-2010, 06:59 PM
It's actually not too bad when used as a harnessed seat. The Elite models at Babies R Us (Sara and Remington) have smaller bases that make the install easier (though the belt/LATCH path is still dangerous for people with large or delicate hands...it's scratchy plastic). They all go to 35 pounds rearfacing with tall seat shells, should last kids to easily 2/3 rearfacing, and 50 pounds with a 17 inch top slots, so kids can easily fit till age 5 harnessed forward facing (a good bare minimum to move to another booster seat). As a booster, it's absolutely horrrrrible.
Check out this page, the happy boy is in a good fitting vivo booster, and the cranky girl is in the Alpha Omega http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

But overall, it's not a very exciting choice, like those that GraceH listed, most of which I like because they are easier to install rearfacing. Evenflo Symphony is also a pretty good seat, and makes a surprisingly good booster seat after you're done with harnessed mode, but the gigantic LATCH connectors don't work with all cars.

jelbert005
02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Can you give us a little more info

age, height and weight of child

will there be more children along the way who the seat will be passed down to

budget

if the seat will be moved between vehicles frequently

My daughter is almost 4 months (on Wednesday), she is almost 13 pounds, and is probably 24 inches long.

I hope to have one more child. The seat will probably be moved between vehicles, but not often. I am actually trying decide if we should get two seats. In addition, I was thinking of getting one to keep at my parents' house, but we only visit there about 3-5 times a year.

I was trying to get it soon with the 25% off at Babies R Us. Are there better deals than going with them during their trade-in event?

Joolsplus2
02-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Graco My Ride 65 or Evenflo Symphony or Britax Roundabout 50 are ones I'd choose before the AO, not necessarily in that order, but I personally like all of those better, just get the one that fits your child and car (you can take it out and try it :)) the best.