PDA

View Full Version : **Olympics Team Outfits...questions

Corie
02-13-2010, 04:06 PM
A question about the Olympics Opening Ceremony team outfits...

1. Who supplies the team outfits? Is it the country's responsibility
to get their team outfits together? Do they find sponsors? (I noticed
Team USA had a big Ralph Lauren polo on their jacket and another team
had Asic on their jacket.)
Or does the host country supply the team outfits?

2. Who designs the team outfits? Does the team have a say in design
and/or colors?

3. Are the team outfits for sale anywhere online?

4. Side-note question...do the coaches walk out with their team? I saw a bunch
of older looking people walking with each country. Were these the coaches?

bubbaray
02-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I answered on the other thread:

Each country designs and produces/purchases their own outfits. For example, in 2002, both the USA and Canada had their team gear designed/made by Roots.

Roots has done the Canadian Olympic gear for a long time. They lost the contract to The Hudson's Bay company a few years back -- Beijing was the first HBC designed Canadian gear and it SUCKED. This year's is better.

IME, the not all of the athletes gear is available for purchase by the public -- some is always unique to the athletes. For example, the red parkas worn by the Canadians last night are not available to the public in red (they were in white and black).

DH says that some of the other teams gear is being sold in Vancouver by the Bay. He saw some of the Russian stuff there the other day.

Corie
02-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the info, Melissa!!!

By any chance, do you know who made the USA moose hats? My son
and I want one!
My daughter wants to the opera singer's gold dress. :)

bubbaray
02-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't know. Maybe google Ralph Lauren & US Olympic?

You might try ebay. I'm sure there is some factory in China making knock offs of everything that was on TV last night!

As long as your DD d/n want that singer's hair from last night, its all good.

TwinFoxes
02-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Ralph Lauren...but for some reason the caps are not available on his website. The whole outfit, even the boots (which were pretty cool) were made by RL. I seem to recall that sometimes the hats are only given to the athletes.

Corie
02-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I just called Ralph Lauren polo.com.

Ralph Lauren/Polo is sold out.

Macys.com is sold out. (Macys sells the Polo Olympic gear.)

The Official Olympics shop online is sold out.

Polo.com took down my name/number/email address. They may
produce more hats. Not sure. They will contact me with further info.

LBW
02-13-2010, 05:11 PM
The RL website had the hats yesterday - for $60/65 IIRC. Yikes! I thought they were cute, too, but a bit too pricey for my taste.

ETA: I just checked ebay b/c I'm curious, and there's one listed. Current bid is $212!

kcimato
02-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I wanted one of those moose hats too! I looked at several places online and didn't see those but did see other things.

Corie, that gold dress is gonna cost ya!

billysmommy
02-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Sometimes they take them down during the Olympics and will sell them again once they're over. Seems kind of backwards to me but that happened with something DH wanted from the last summer Olympics. It showed OOS the whole time and then once the games were over we had no trouble finding it.

Corie
02-13-2010, 09:55 PM
The RL website had the hats yesterday - for $60/65 IIRC. Yikes! I thought they were cute, too, but a bit too pricey for my taste.

I'm sure once everyone saw them last night at the Opening Ceremony that
they were sold out immediately.

kcimato
02-14-2010, 12:52 AM
I just got a pair of the red torch bearer mittens. They only had the kids one size fits all. My hands are small so I hope they fit!

Went to Macy's tonight..no moose hats. Just a few pieces. Mostly scarves.

mom2binsd
02-14-2010, 10:59 AM
I have an adult S/M pair of mitts and the kids have the kids one size...the kids ones barely fit me (I've got little hands but not super small hands so you may be fine)...they are lined with fleece and are sooo cute!

bubbaray
02-14-2010, 12:06 PM
You think that hat is expensive, check out this Dsquared hoodie:

http://twitpic.com/117i37

A mere $350. No, not a typo.

ETA: In case anyone wants to pick up one, its exclusively at Holts: http://www.holtrenfrew.com/holts/pages/articles/article.dot?url=69104&language_id=1

I posted on the other thread, Dsquared did all the outfits for the non-athletes (all performers, and the white puffy outfits) for the Opening (and the closing)